Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Apr 2007, 17:15 (Ref:1889873)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
WTCC switches to bio-fuel

WTCC have announced that they are going to be switching to bio-fuel.

2008 will see bio-fuel as an alternative alongside the existing petrol and diesel options. From 2009 WTCC will be exclusively bio-fuel.

I'm a little surprised about the move to exclusively bio-fuel but I guess it was only a matter of time.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 17:40 (Ref:1889891)   #2
THIM
Racer

Poland
THIM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's great idea, I'm waiting for biofuels on gas stations, so this fuel in WTCC is a great step towards it. Do you think cars will be faster?
Old 13 Apr 2007, 10:20 (Ref:1890293)   #3
Captain VXR
Racer

European Union
Bath
Captain VXR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About the same, look at BTCC last year when WSR converted their MGs to bioethanol and had similar pace. The Bioethanol S2000 cars in Sweden seem to do well in testing
Old 13 Apr 2007, 19:23 (Ref:1890660)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think WSR said it gave a slight increase in power, although the consumption went up to, so more fuel was needed for each race.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 20:50 (Ref:1890712)   #5
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It differs from different engines, they respond differently on the switch to bio fuel depending on how they are constructed.

Some engines for example repsond positively on the fact that the engine gets better cooling due to the larger ammount of fuel, etc.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1897186)   #6
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Realistically, the engines can produce more power as the the burn is slower (ie: higher effective octane rating - closer to 110), but the lower calorific value means that it uses more of it, up to 40% more.
As has been said, the extra consumption means lower engine temps, or shall I say, smaller radiators.

If you ever have a loot at top methanol dragster - look at the fuel injection lines - they often run with ice on them due to the flow of alcohol fuel through them under pressure.

The only downside to pure alcohol fuels is it burns with an invisible flame - however, they will most likely run on E85 (85% bio-ethanol) as a pure ethanol engine is a swine (I did orignally mention female dogs, but the autocensor got it!) to start without a high speed starter - and that will burn with a visible flame. The upside is it's easily put out with water. (see the buckets of water in the pitlanes at Champcar and IRL races - so forget the ineffective AFFF, bring me a bucket!!

I'm pleased to see WTCC take a lead on this at such a level. It's about time that the highest level of FIA sanctioned motorsport did it too - F1.

We looked at it in the SCSA (stockcars) but the engine people didn't seem to get very far. I would hope that we all go bio-power in the next couple of years with only the histericals running on guzzoline.

Rob.

Last edited by R59; 21 Apr 2007 at 18:46.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 20:33 (Ref:1897246)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see WSR are going to be converting the BMW's to Bio-Ethanol, maybe BMW back in Germany are re-tuning the engine for it.
Old 22 Apr 2007, 11:23 (Ref:1897589)   #8
roachy101
Racer

roachy101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, this could secure the series long-term future if it threatened by "global warming" in a few years. plus along with the IRL, it's demonstrating what series are doing to help the environment
Old 22 Apr 2007, 21:01 (Ref:1897986)   #9
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And in Sweden, the Ethanol Volvo wins the race
Old 23 Apr 2007, 18:15 (Ref:1898765)   #10
Captain VXR
Racer

European Union
Bath
Captain VXR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Bio ethanol BMW second?
Old 24 Apr 2007, 11:38 (Ref:1899248)   #11
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 19:15 (Ref:1899553)   #12
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nope, Flash Engineering does not have bio-ethanol engines yet. BMW Motorsport is still developing those and Flash Engineering will race with them as soon as they are ready.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 21:54 (Ref:1899687)   #13
tin-top fan
Rookie

England
tin-top fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner
Nope, Flash Engineering does not have bio-ethanol engines yet. BMW Motorsport is still developing those and Flash Engineering will race with them as soon as they are ready.

I would presume then that BMW motorsport will develop these engines then, giving them to teams in national championships ( such as RAC in Britain and Flash in Sweden) to see how they get on with them. Then maybe indies in the WTCC before eventually the main teams ( schnitzer and RBM) get to use them?
Old 25 Apr 2007, 07:15 (Ref:1899852)   #14
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I strongly doubt that the indies get them before the factory teams in WTCC. My guess would be that BMW will run and test them in STCC and maybe BTCC, and when bulletproof introduce them to their factory cars right away.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 07:45 (Ref:1899877)   #15
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Well since WTCC is going green in 09 it isnt that hard to see why BMW is interested in converting the engines to bio-ethanol...
Old 26 Apr 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1901047)   #16
M-Power
Rookie

Germany
Hannover, Germany
M-Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is good for the nature to make the motorsport "green" and it is also a symbol for the customers or fans to show that the green gas is very competitive. But the problem is that in the important sales markets in europe (germany for example) are not much petrol-stations at the moment.
That makes me sad because it is the right way. But the beginning is made and that is the important thing!

Tags
wtcc