Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Jul 2010, 08:55 (Ref:2724731)   #1
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ingall speaks out

Now I am not one that usually advocates anything that Russell Ingall puts his name, mainly because he carries on like a 2 year old usually in response to playing up to the 3 year olds in the commentary box (ie Skaife, Crompton, Larkham). That said the below article he seems to be onto something and mirrors many of the comments outlined in this forum.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225890014530

'V8SA are only focused on the events and not the racing. The racing is overlooked and never discussed or looked at.'

"The races have become lacklustre," Ingall said. "I have spoken to people who have turned off in the middle of races.

"Let's face it, the ratings haven't been great this year and it is because the blokes are scared to drive."
Old 11 Jul 2010, 09:11 (Ref:2724742)   #2
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing about the enforcer, he tells it like he see's it no fluffy words or political correctness crap.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 09:12 (Ref:2724745)   #3
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I agree with Rusty comments 500%, but u and me and the rest on here will know it will fall on deaf ears at VE$A, cause simply they do not care, all they are worried about is making the $$$$$$$$$$$$$
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 11 Jul 2010, 10:41 (Ref:2724785)   #4
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i rekon every V8 fan and anyone else in the V8 community should sign a petition for what Rus has said as he is 100% right. surely then it wouldn't fall on deaf ears, would it?????
Old 11 Jul 2010, 11:05 (Ref:2724794)   #5
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
I'd firstly like to say that I didn't bother watching todays race.

I'd also like to say that the purists who "want to see the best win" cannot see the forest because of the trees, because the best are always the best funded. If you want to see "the best win" go and watch saloon cars. As soon as a category goes to TV it becomes the entertainment industry and "entertainment" is the priority not "the best must win". So it becomes a compromise. Aussie racers are better to watch than V8 Supercars because they entertain.

The last I'd like to say is that I just finished my fourth glass of wine and I am about to get a filth one.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 11:26 (Ref:2724801)   #6
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
The last I'd like to say is that I just finished my fourth glass of wine and I am about to get a filth one.

Dont Drink And Drive!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11 Jul 2010, 14:20 (Ref:2724918)   #7
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I'd also like to say that the purists who "want to see the best win" cannot see the forest because of the trees, because the best are always the best funded. If you want to see "the best win" go and watch saloon cars. As soon as a category goes to TV it becomes the entertainment industry and "entertainment" is the priority not "the best must win". So it becomes a compromise. Aussie racers are better to watch than V8 Supercars because they entertain.

i hope it's some of The Enforcer's cab sav.....
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2725024)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of this comes about due to "parity" in the cars. No one has an advantage really.

I think V8SC has done a great job on the professionalism side of things, now it's time to focus on the racing some.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 20:57 (Ref:2725100)   #9
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is where I reckon Winton and Queensland Raceway differ from V8SCA, I reckon that these tracks couldn't give a fats rats clacker about the event, they just want the racing.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 04:14 (Ref:2725212)   #10
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

A filth one, interesting
Old 12 Jul 2010, 04:38 (Ref:2725220)   #11
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime View Post
A filth one, interesting
......and my head still hurts.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 06:50 (Ref:2725248)   #12
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My money is on Ingall never raising the subject again. I would think he has already been stood on from great heights by now and given a very good kicking by all who see this as breaking ranks much like party politics. A high profile person such as he is in the sport cannot be allowed to criticise from within and upset the status quo especially when TV rights etc are up for grabs. There is always those old sayings

The truth always hurts.
There is no smoke without fire.

Whatever he says won't change a thing, Cochrane is a controlling person determined to not see his investment damaged by underlings such as Ingall. It must have been an interesting few minutes when he found out what Ingall had said and a bit more interesting when Ingall got the return broadside from on high.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 07:26 (Ref:2725258)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was more surprised that the Telegraph chose to print the article.

V8SA don't do criticism regardless of how warranted it is, just ask Peter McKay. To cop it from one of their drivers and the media outlet they pay to generate 'stories' must have been infuriating for the motorsport lovers at V8SA.

Will they now pull Ingall and Phelps hard card?
Old 13 Jul 2010, 10:50 (Ref:2726014)   #14
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The timing of this makes me wonder how many more stories of this type will appear over the long break between Townsville and Phillip Island. When there is no news of any value to report on the series, throw out a couple of rumours of trouble in the ranks etc. This will then generate more responses from other personalities in the V8SC fraternity, which, will in turn be reported and more so called "news" to report. This is Cochrane and his cohorts working overtime to promote an ailing series.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 11:07 (Ref:2726025)   #15
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Will they now pull... Phelps hard card?
one can only hope, although then the stories might be even more fanciful...
Old 13 Jul 2010, 23:52 (Ref:2726354)   #16
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
I cant wait for the Beach Boys!!!!!
Old 20 Jul 2010, 05:16 (Ref:2729449)   #17
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Ingall wants to "bring back the Biff".

This is what happens when you allow Biff in races.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37YXf...eature=related

Luckily no marshals** or spectators were injured as the car went through the marshals zone and into the spectator area.

** Save for a marshal who got hit by some extinguisher foam well after the crash and had to have his eye washed out at the Medical Centre (according to the Brands Hatch WTCC Thread in the marshals sub forum of 10/10ths)
Old 21 Jul 2010, 05:45 (Ref:2729937)   #18
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
So Ingall wants to "bring back the Biff".

This is what happens when you allow Biff in races.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37YXf...eature=related

Luckily no marshals** or spectators were injured as the car went through the marshals zone and into the spectator area.

** Save for a marshal who got hit by some extinguisher foam well after the crash and had to have his eye washed out at the Medical Centre (according to the Brands Hatch WTCC Thread in the marshals sub forum of 10/10ths)
Dont you think its unfair to suddenly generalise it like that???
Even more so using that incident as the reasoning?
How often has a car gone over the fence like there of all places? its exactly the same deal that happened at QR with the mini. just a freak accident.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 12:19 (Ref:2730098)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Freak? Or Avoidable? If you increase the amount of incidents by allowing biff and bash you're logically likely to increase the number of them which are freaks. IMO it's important to distinguish between accidental contact and avoidable contact, and where it is the latter, to establish the reasons and deal with them appropriately.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 14:06 (Ref:2730163)   #20
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
That was a big one! A lot of these major rolls/flips seem to occur in cars that a quite lightweight. Like the Mini jumping the fence at QR recently. V8s seem to be less likely to have such incidents due to being a few hundred kilos heavier.

Rubbing racing, putting people into/over the fence is not!
Old 22 Jul 2010, 01:27 (Ref:2730414)   #21
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Freak? Or Avoidable? If you increase the amount of incidents by allowing biff and bash you're logically likely to increase the number of them which are freaks. IMO it's important to distinguish between accidental contact and avoidable contact, and where it is the latter, to establish the reasons and deal with them appropriately.
The point is what Ingall was talking about was not just going out there for the sole purpose of punting every guy into the wall on purpose. But actually having a go at passing and rubbing some fenders etc, and not have retarded penalties handed out cos you pushed the guy out wide.

That accident from the Seat Cup WAS a freak accident, how many times do you see cars being launched in that way and end up the way it did. This is same argument as all the accident posts on here about what to do to make it safer... in the end all you gonna have a huge high wall with zero view of the track.
At the same time, yes it would have been avoidable if it never happened right at that point. The same way many accidents over the years could have been avoidable, but whos to say it would end up the way it did.... I'd love to see someone try and replicate that incident again.....

Theres plenty of rubbing racing happening in the BTCC, but you dont see cars being launched into space every race do you?
Old 22 Jul 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2730605)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be fair, I largely agree with what Ingall said - penalties for light contact as a result of passing attempts are not necessary, nor are penalties for occasional stuff ups (different if the same driver keeps doing it). I don't class that as biff and bash.

I don't think deliberate contact in order to push a driver out of the way (or off) or careless driving of the type seen in that Seat crash are acceptable, and it's inevitable that if it is allowed resulting in more accidents, then more of the freak variety are likely to occur. BTCC have had some narrow escapes, as have many of the similarly driven support races. The laws of physics mean a catastrophic accident may never happen but the number of incidents make it more likely by the law of averages.

I don't advocate building of walls and fences everywhere to contain the cars (in some places it is necessary) because it would be better to properly manage the driving standards so that people can race hard but fairly and where accidents are just that - accidental.