Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 7 Jun 2013, 00:19 (Ref:3258770)   #1
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kiwi racers overseas

Just thought I'd start a new thread on what our kiwi cousins are doing successfully or unsuccessfully overseas.

We have so much talent pouring out of this country and heading to Europe etc and some are doing some exceptional things.

We all know about Mitch Evans success in GP2 so far, but I thought I would start this thread with some news on Nick Cassidy....

http://www.speedcafe.co.nz/2013/06/0...t-for-t-sport/

Please add to this thread with any relevant discussion you have and also any good news (or bad news if so be it) for our guys overseas flying the kiwi flag.

I also see that Chris van der Drift is doing some amazing things as is Jono Lester
Old 7 Jun 2013, 06:40 (Ref:3258829)   #2
magic
Rookie

New Zealand
magic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And of course our very own world champion back in the seat this year, i will be watching this with interest.
And no doubt he can do it again i am sure

http://haydenpaddon.com/news?news=108
Old 7 Jun 2013, 06:54 (Ref:3258834)   #3
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic View Post
And of course our very own world champion back in the seat this year, i will be watching this with interest.
And no doubt he can do it again i am sure

http://haydenpaddon.com/news?news=108
awfully kind of Hayden to nip away early, gives the rest of the NZRC teams a chance to catch up !!
Old 7 Jun 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3258835)   #4
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Ah yes of course. I wonder when we'll see him in wrc?

we seem to have a kiwi in most disciplines from what I can tell

and aint that the truth joe re: your comment above. I wonder if mr.mason is happier when hayden is racing overseas?
Old 7 Jun 2013, 07:12 (Ref:3258836)   #5
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There was a time when it was the other way around!

What's Earl Bamber and Richie Stanaway up to these days?

Jono Lester gets to race a flash SLS in Japan, Wade Cunningham seems to drive more historics than Indy these days. Brendon Hartley is building a good career in sports cars.
Old 7 Jun 2013, 07:40 (Ref:3258846)   #6
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
And there's some more names courtesy of Swedish Brick that are doing great things.

I remember a few years back that Brendon Hartley was to be the next big thing, and F1 looked on the cards. Is he still a test/reserve driver for Mercedes?

I guess that now Mitch is in the limelight, some of the others just get forgotten, which is sad.

And this is the point of this thread. Anyone who is 'in the know' should post in this thread about news relating to our kiwi stars, so we can all be kept up to date with progress etc, and be proud of our guys doing great things
Old 7 Jun 2013, 07:46 (Ref:3258849)   #7
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah Brendon still does sim work with Merc from time to time.
Old 7 Jun 2013, 08:21 (Ref:3258857)   #8
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not only Kiwi Driving talent overseas, don't forget all the kiwis behind the scenes
Old 7 Jun 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3258892)   #9
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Agreed nistfan, and maybe this thread should just be called 'Kiwis overseas'? (mods? - it even rhymes!)

Must say though, I don't normally get into bikes but I always try to watch the TT. I have really enjoyed watching kiwi Bruce Anstey this past week and his success on the Isle
Old 7 Jun 2013, 11:33 (Ref:3258916)   #10
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nick Cassidy is also trying to forge a European path too
Old 7 Jun 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3259101)   #11
Dav1s
Rookie

Dav1s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
Both are racing Porsches now. With Earl doing well in Carrera Cup Asia and Richie leading the rookie standings of Porsche Supercup in Europe. Undoubtedly the most competitive Porsche cup in the world.
Old 7 Jun 2013, 21:04 (Ref:3259111)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
I remember a few years back that Brendon Hartley was to be the next big thing, and F1 looked on the cards. Is he still a test/reserve driver for Mercedes?
Didn't live up to the hype in F3 and F1's never really looked likely. Turned up in ELMS at Silverstone earlier this year and was blindingly fast in qualy, especially in the wet. Spent the race hitting things and getting penalised IIRC. Shame, clearly a fast driver, needs to sort his racecraft. Excellent at being interviewed, though. I suspect his long term future may end up being more media related.
Old 7 Jun 2013, 21:14 (Ref:3259118)   #13
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Didn't live up to the hype in F3 and F1's never really looked likely. Turned up in ELMS at Silverstone earlier this year and was blindingly fast in qualy, especially in the wet. Spent the race hitting things and getting penalised IIRC. Shame, clearly a fast driver, needs to sort his racecraft. Excellent at being interviewed, though. I suspect his long term future may end up being more media related.
Hi Woolley,

You may be right long term, but in the mean time Brendon has a very well paying contract with Mercedes as their main Simulator pilot, and from what his mentor, PJ, tells me is extremely well thought of in that roll. I do know for a fact that he has to get Mercedes position to do any racing on the side because we tried to get him into an V8 Supertourer as an endurance driver last year, however he was unable to get the necessary release so it didnt happen.

Cheers,

Mark Petch.
Old 7 Jun 2013, 21:15 (Ref:3259119)   #14
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-stan...ars-and-planes
Old 7 Jun 2013, 21:20 (Ref:3259124)   #15
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
There was a time when it was the other way around!

Jono Lester gets to race a flash SLS in Japan, Wade Cunningham seems to drive more historics than Indy these days. Brendon Hartley is building a good career in sports cars.
Introducing Earl Bamber

Carrera Cup Asia Highlights
Old 8 Jun 2013, 01:18 (Ref:3259176)   #16
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Agreed nistfan, and maybe this thread should just be called 'Kiwis overseas'? (mods? - it even rhymes!)

Must say though, I don't normally get into bikes but I always try to watch the TT. I have really enjoyed watching kiwi Bruce Anstey this past week and his success on the Isle
Not really into bikes, but the TT is impressive to watch, plenty of Kiwi riders have done it over the years of course.

Over the years not to many Kiwis have made it in European racing and raced long term, plenty have done a few races then run out of $$$.

Would have been interesting if David Oxton had stuck at it, on the pace in both Formula Ford and F5000.
Brett Riley won a hand full of F3 races over a number of years, Paul Radisich never got it together in F3 but did the business in BTCC.
Mike Thackwell of course was the last to race in F1 and win a major Championship( European F2 in 1984) until Mitch came along.

I could go on and on

Of course we have had several that have gone all the way.
Old 8 Jun 2013, 01:36 (Ref:3259178)   #17
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
you have shane van gisbergen in V8SC, thats overseas right.
Old 8 Jun 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3259331)   #18
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
you have shane van gisbergen in V8SC, thats overseas right.
Yes very true, and the same goes for Scott Mclaughlin
Old 9 Jun 2013, 02:37 (Ref:3259551)   #19
magic
Rookie

New Zealand
magic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumor has it that some dude called Fabian is quite handy at the helm also
Old 9 Jun 2013, 07:42 (Ref:3259597)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Hi Woolley,

You may be right long term, but in the mean time Brendon has a very well paying contract with Mercedes as their main Simulator pilot, and from what his mentor, PJ, tells me is extremely well thought of in that roll. I do know for a fact that he has to get Mercedes position to do any racing on the side because we tried to get him into an V8 Supertourer as an endurance driver last year, however he was unable to get the necessary release so it didnt happen.

Cheers,

Mark Petch.
He comes across as a real nice guy and he's certainly got natural pace - I'd love to be proved wrong.
Old 9 Jun 2013, 21:05 (Ref:3259960)   #21
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was having a bit of a look around and I found this site - anyone heard of this before? It has quite a lot of info on it but doesn't seem very up to date.

http://www.nzmotorsport.co.nz/content/home.cfm
Old 10 Jun 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3260073)   #22
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Haven't heard of that one before GB, and I think you're right, is it a tad out of date.

Check this... http://www.nzmotorsport.co.nz/conten...t.cfm?id=12261
Old 10 Jun 2013, 01:22 (Ref:3260080)   #23
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Makes you wonder why it's even up there, doesn't it!
Old 10 Jun 2013, 01:47 (Ref:3260088)   #24
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Haven't heard of that one before GB, and I think you're right, is it a tad out of date.

Check this... http://www.nzmotorsport.co.nz/conten...t.cfm?id=12261
I have and it is an old site

check out the bottom right corner of the page.. copyright 2003/08. the last article was in 09. the news ticker on the front page must update itself... other than that.. the site looks like it's been untouched for years.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 01:48 (Ref:3260091)   #25
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Pity, it looked like it might have been quite good once.