Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 5 Nov 2019, 16:29 (Ref:3938730)   #5551
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
As best as I can remember, the restriction was introduced for a short period following a number of some very serious multiple vehicle collisions, often during periods of fog. At the end of the trial period, the then Transport Secretary, Barbara Castle, made the restriction permanent.

However, despite the new restriction, both the M1 and the M4 continued to be used during the cover of darkness (and possibly during daylight, as well) to test cars being prepared for racing. Certainly John Wyer's lads often used the M4 from and back to Slough to give the GT40s a bit of a run out before attending meetings.
Pretty much think that’s the way it happened, Mike. It would have been fun to be overtaken by a GT40 being tested on the M4! Or scary maybe.....
Old 5 Nov 2019, 16:31 (Ref:3938731)   #5552
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Incidentally, I've never felt a 2.9 mag quake. I have been in the middle of 5+ magnitude and yes you do feel them.
The earth moved for you then, Peter?
Old 5 Nov 2019, 16:53 (Ref:3938733)   #5553
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old joke.
Old 5 Nov 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3938734)   #5554
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Old joke.
And I’m old......
Old 5 Nov 2019, 17:04 (Ref:3938735)   #5555
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Period correct!
Old 5 Nov 2019, 17:17 (Ref:3938736)   #5556
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
It would have been fun to be overtaken by a GT40 being tested on the M4! Or scary maybe.....

It was both, and in equal measure!
Old 5 Nov 2019, 18:02 (Ref:3938744)   #5557
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
My former boss Jacky Setton used his street version on a regular basis. Light green if I'm correct.
Old 5 Nov 2019, 18:28 (Ref:3938747)   #5558
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Apparently Bob Dunning is worried because a 2.9 mag earthquake shook his house so he's happy that fracking is stopped. Sorry Bob but you need to do some research https://earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthq...uk_events.html a 2+ mag quake happens quite frequently in the UK and in areas where there is no fracking.

The world has gone ****ing mad.
There was an earthquake in Wellington NZ while we were there in September that could be felt, I've just checked to find a record of it but it appears they've had over 100 quakes there in the past 4 weeks so records of that far back are difficult to find.
As you say " The world has gone kin mad"
Old 5 Nov 2019, 20:35 (Ref:3938757)   #5559
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Pretty much think that’s the way it happened, Mike. It would have been fun to be overtaken by a GT40 being tested on the M4! Or scary maybe.....
Wish my dad was still alive I could of asked him if this was true .
Old 5 Nov 2019, 20:56 (Ref:3938760)   #5560
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That’s a myth, from what I was told by Jack. The minister responsible, think Barbara Castle, was already planning the limit introduction. Made a good story though......
Mike, myth or not I remember the fuss it caused at the time, a lot of do-gooders up in arms, so I feel sure that it had an effect on the decision if not the primary cause.
Old 5 Nov 2019, 22:08 (Ref:3938773)   #5561
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Wish my dad was still alive I could of asked him if this was true .

Iain, you have my cast iron guarantee that it is true. My chums and I travelled along the Chiswick to Heathrow section of the M4 on a regular basis, usually late at night after we had finished work, some of us in a pub or a restaurant whilst the rest of them also worked evenings.To relax, we would often drive over to the Heathrow Bowling Alley, as it was open 24 hours a day, to have a game, or just pop into Heathrow itself for a coffee and or breakfast.

And on at least two occasions, one of Wyer GT40s blasted past us as if we were standing still, and we weren't hanging about either.
Old 6 Nov 2019, 07:07 (Ref:3938825)   #5562
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I wanted to ask him if it was him driving Mike great story .
Old 6 Nov 2019, 07:13 (Ref:3938827)   #5563
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Of course back in the day there was the race to Bristol from the Chequered Flag in Chiswick.
Old 6 Nov 2019, 07:14 (Ref:3938828)   #5564
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK

I’m parked up at Palencia . Blooming cold last night in the back of Delta truck . My crew that we’re on ferry Monday had an awful journey home think the sea was a bit choppy. My turn tonight although the wind seems a lot calmer at moment . I have had time to come of the motorway back this year . Stopped in Caceres and now Palencia both lovely towns . One day I will take Mrs Delta on a tour around Europe there is so much more to look at than race circuits and motorway services . One day ????.
Old 6 Nov 2019, 18:27 (Ref:3938911)   #5565
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Hope the crossing is OK- just checked the shipping forecast for Bay of Biscuit..... According to Britney the ferry departed early in an attempt to miss the worst.

Forecast for ‘Wight’ not so bad but don’t think it’s going to be flat calm crossing for all the race trucks waiting at Ouistreham.....

Kwells at the ready!
Old 6 Nov 2019, 22:51 (Ref:3938963)   #5566
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hope the crossing is OK- just checked the shipping forecast for Bay of Biscuit..... According to Britney the ferry departed early in an attempt to miss the worst.

Forecast for ‘Wight’ not so bad but don’t think it’s going to be flat calm crossing for all the race trucks waiting at Ouistreham.....

Kwells at the ready!
Done that trip a few times Mike, I think that I can only remember one decent trip in the last 5 years. I first used that route in 1972 an vowed that I would never use it again
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Nov 2019, 18:53 (Ref:3939098)   #5567
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Le Mans 66, the movie. Who will watch this one?
Old 7 Nov 2019, 20:53 (Ref:3939113)   #5568
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Maybe.

Nobody to go with unfortunately so maybe a DVD one.
Old 7 Nov 2019, 23:53 (Ref:3939137)   #5569
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Well that was the worst crossing for me . I won’t go into detail . Just got home and sure is nice to have a cup of tea and some toast . Full report on the delta tour later . Night all
Old 8 Nov 2019, 09:27 (Ref:3939185)   #5570
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There has been a thread going on this one .https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154142

First heard about it a few years ago when it was going to be called
"Go Like hell". And had the producers contact us about some cars for the filming.
But the original story line was dropped & they invented some story about an American car company got an American car racer to design & build an ALL American car to win at LeMans .
Old 8 Nov 2019, 09:28 (Ref:3939186)   #5571
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I went to the real Le Mans '66 - the only time I've ever been...
Old 8 Nov 2019, 09:36 (Ref:3939188)   #5572
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Tanks Tel and Alan. Thought original title was " Ford vs Ferrari" in some countries. I'll go and watch as there are not so many occasions to have a dedicated movie. Just have to find a huge screen like Kinopanorama or Grand Rex in Paris. Starts today! Gentlemen… fasten your seat belts!
Old 8 Nov 2019, 10:06 (Ref:3939193)   #5573
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I went to the real Le Mans '66 - the only time I've ever been...
That's impressive, judging by the trailers for the film I don't think I'll bother. Looks like atypical US bilge.
Old 8 Nov 2019, 10:14 (Ref:3939196)   #5574
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The office is planning on going next week. Yes, it is a bit 'mercan but then again there will be racing cars even if only in "demo" mode.
Old 8 Nov 2019, 10:54 (Ref:3939203)   #5575
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
OK the teaser looks a bit like a mix of Le Mans and Days of thunder with some Coke sponsoring. Thats Hollywood, ya no… Anyway I'll go, being no more French won't moan! Esquimaux, chocolats glacés, caramels Dupont d'Isigny, bonbons…