Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Oct 2013, 08:28 (Ref:3320883)   #76
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 5 was our FISCAR Inter-Marque race and dare I say it, it had a fabulous collection of great cars in it, including the (Bryan) Wingfield Special, which was having its first race since the 1980s in it. Full report here with loads of pics!l

http://fiscar.org/castle-combe-historic-intermarque/

Also race 7, our FLIERS race - look out for the Tojeiro JAP, not raced since the 1950s, here:-

http://fiscar.org/castle-combe-50s-fliers/

Race 6 was the FJHRA/HSCC Miller Oils Formula Juniors which provided another great race, although it was stopped a bit early following an accident. Unfortunately, no pictures because I was stuffing my face with a burger as I hadn't eaten all day - sorry. Anyone oblige with pics?
Old 21 Oct 2013, 18:50 (Ref:3321230)   #77
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race 5, Pit crew report for Andrew Sharp, car no 45

After a good practice Andy was 4th on the grid, we had instructions from him to 'read' the race as normal & bring him in if he was stuck behind someone & looked like he couldn't pass.
I reminded Andy that it was a flag start, which we then discussed the earlier demonstration by the starter at the drivers briefing.
Two things that happened at the start, I could start the clock at exactly the same time as the race started, not easy sometimes, and Andy got the start absolutely perfect (Andy isn't always a great starter, a few years ago I told him after a race at Oulton Park that I would get my missus to teach how to get it off the line with the minimum of fuss - she is the best at sprints & hillclimb starts of everyone in Aston's) and leapt into the lead.
We knew that the Healey was faster all along however Andy can make the DB2 very wide, a little cheer went up when Brian went out in the Elite as we knew we had a chance of victory without him (sorry Brian)
From our vantage point on the pitwall we realised the Aston was possibly a little quicker on top speed but was getting hammered under braking. (discs all round vs drums all round)
When the Healey came in for its pitstop it was behind 3 or 4 cars in the pit entry lane, and had to stop at the beginning of the pitlane, his crew had to move toward him for the driver change.
We left Andy out for 2 more laps then bought him in, our pitstop was very good with no one else in the pit at that time, Andy asked me to give him the drink bottle from the door & he shook as he drank with nervous energy, never seen him like that before.
We released him at 45 seconds but the stop took 47 seconds before he moved, anyway we gained him nearly 4 seconds.
The Healey was still behind as Andy came out onto the track, but he soon closed up - the Healey was nearly 2 seconds a lap faster for the 1st lap after Andy's stop, so almost immediately caught Andy, anyway the lead gap was between 5ft & 30 ft on every lap for the rest of the race.
After 26 minutes + the Healey made its move at the exit from Camp corner and overtook the Aston on the finish line but Andy was the victor by 0.073 seconds or about 7ft as the flag was waved rather early.
Unbeknown to both drivers the race had ended & they carried on racing, neither had seen the chequered flag, good job the Healey didn't start the manoeuvre earlier. After 1/2 a lap with waved yellows they both realised the race was over.
Andy has a cooker timer in the car which counts down to zero from the races prescribed length (he reaches over to start the clock on the start - don't know how he manages it), so he knew the race was cut short.
When he came in he didn't realise he had won & had to be told, he even apologised for coming 2nd.
Great race, one of the best we have had with Andy & the DB2, it made up a little for the disappointment of the Atalanta accident in the Aston race.
However a little more disappointment was eroded by me winning the DB2s 1st trophy this season, a 3rd -very unusual to go all season without something, got Andy wound up a bit more aswell.

Last edited by FastDB2s; 21 Oct 2013 at 19:16.
Old 22 Oct 2013, 06:32 (Ref:3321466)   #78
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great 'insider' report, Chris. I've exchanged messages with Andy and he certainly feels that it was his best race ever. It was great to watch.

I think as you say that Brian Arculus would clearly have been in contention particularly towards the end of the race as the Elite's brakes and tyres would probably have stayed more effective than the older heavier cars. In fact, had Nigel Bancroft stayed in the race in the sister Elite, I think that he would have figured too. But, this is quite a fast track where power plays its part and interestingly both the Aston and the Healey did their fastest laps in the second half of the race, so I don't think that we can say that an Elite victory was by any means a foregone conclusion.