Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Mar 2011, 10:11 (Ref:2840494)   #26
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like Gary I have a concern.

Fed up with flagging 30/40 min races with around 10 cars so made a rule that if I can't see an entry list I don't go. Broke it for this meeting because its been too long since the WHT last year.

HSCC always publish their list, and it always seems to overflow. Masters destined to lose out later in year. CSCC - Bob will always give me no's and this has affected decisions. Be interesting to see what AMOC deliver this year.

Cannot see much in modern racing that looks like a proper meeting so looks like being a very good year for historic movement even if there are significant date clashes.

Looking forward to next Sat.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 10:17 (Ref:2840497)   #27
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivers are frustrated by it too. We like to see who's in and out. I'd just say Flagman, that even if there isn't a huge grid, the marshals work is very much appreciated by those who are there!
Old 5 Mar 2011, 10:23 (Ref:2840499)   #28
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I know that organisers will have very valid reasons for not wanting to do so and get problems of late entries as mentioned above and that drivers / teams have similarly valid reasons for late entries but from a spectators point of view it is always disappointing. Having said that, maybe a lot of events aren't run for the benefit of spectators and that as attendance can be relatively low their needs / views are a lower priority?
To be fair, the bulk of clubs do publish some sort of list in advance of their meetings (I think its only BARC that don't as a matter of course; MSVR - which includes Saturday's meeting - usually publish lists for Masters meetings in which they are the permit holding club); however, I suspect that for many the final lists are only available after the time in which a decision to attend has to be made. I guess the problems lie in the fact that club's gain little from spectators attending the meeting (although they need marshals as evidenced by The Flagman's post) and that publishing a list at an early stage may do more harm than good if it is wholly unrepresentative of the final entry.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2840759)   #29
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snow?

I see 'light snow' is pedicted on the Metcheck.com site for OP on race day! Deep joy.

Not on other sites though - just light rain. Never trust the forecast even a week so hopefully things will improve nearer the day.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2842035)   #30
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Finally just spoke to Jim and I'm afraid we are not racing . Sorry.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2842918)   #31
Christian Devereux
Rookie

United Kingdom
London W4
Christian Devereux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mini finished this afternoon!
So off to Oulton we will go.

Thanks to Gerald and Phil Dale, who have been drinking much midnight tea during its bare shell rebuild.

Who's this Roberta Moreno sheila then?

Is it Rons girlfriend?
Old 9 Mar 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2842972)   #32
Yorkie 'S'
Rookie

England
Leeds
Yorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Who's this Roberta Moreno sheila then?
I dunno Christian but I don't expect to be seeing her or you in my rear view mirror !!!

So a Nut and Bolt rebuild of the Green ****** (as described by Rupert !) Am I expecting it to disappear at a fair rate of knots ;-)

Good luck with testing and see you at 07:00ish Saturday Morning - Snowstorm permitting !!!

I hope you have purchased your flat cap and have your southern passport coming this far upt North !!!
Old 12 Mar 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2844640)   #33
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heading home from Oulton. What a lovely meeting and a lovely track. Weather stayed fair and (mostly) dry. La Contessa ran faultlessly first time out and my mate lloyd picked up a class win in his first ever race. What could be finer Thanks to all who helped make it work.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2844643)   #34
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enjoyed the day ogling Chevrons but the number of entries in all events except WSM was dire plus so many of the cars seem to be up for sale.
I suspect that it will be a pretty thin season except for the big events, roll on Goodwood
Old 12 Mar 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2844678)   #35
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
Enjoyed the day ogling Chevrons but the number of entries in all events except WSM was dire plus so many of the cars seem to be up for sale.
I suspect that it will be a pretty thin season except for the big events, roll on Goodwood
The pre-66 touring cars had 20+, which wasn't too bad, but I agree that the 70s Celebration with 9 (IIRC), the 8 Formula Fords, and the 10 in the "Gentleman Drivers" was a bit thin.......and when I saw that the latter race was to be 80 minutes, my marshalling heart sank......but in fact it was quite interesting to watch, not least watching the Griffith lap all but second and third place, until relaxing towards the end and letting an E-type unlap himself.

Also interesting to watch the difference between first and second drivers....for example the Elan of Michael Schryver and Simon Hadfield - the first driver was incredible - turned into Cascades with conviction, the car settled into its stance with the nearside front wheel well clear of the deck, and it maintained that stance all the way round the corner and for about a hundred yards down Lakeside - lap after lap After the driver change it was completely different - not necessarily any slower, but a smoother turn-in, with all four wheels pretty much staying on the Tarmac. It couldn't keep up with the Griffith, but after 40 laps was only half a lap down........the last lap had us twitching, though, as a momentary lapse had the car all locked up and teetering on the edge of the track....fortunately a lift off the brakes let it turn in and skate around.....we didn't want the last action of the day to be brushing up an Elan

Anyway - overall enjoyed the day marshalling and watching (and being deafened by) some very desirable motor cars!
Old 13 Mar 2011, 00:01 (Ref:2844750)   #36
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Broke my rule of not going to events without seeing Entry Lists. Sure enough 10 cars or fewer in 3 of 5 races. Heavy attrition in the two more numerous races. Add to that the length of the circuit and the event was DULL. Waste of a hotel room and 220miles.

Least engaging flag day in 3 years. Masters is definitely off the list.

Some great cars, good driving but there simply wasn't enough. Good crowd but were they entertained. I think not.

Next weekend HSCC do it properly. See you at Donny.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 07:28 (Ref:2844824)   #37
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Anyone know why Marcus Mussa was a DNF in the World Sports Car race.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2844851)   #38
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I think he was running about 6th for a good few laps, to about half distance. I'm not sure what happened after that - I did hear his name mentioned on the loudspeaker system at about that time but I was around Clay Hill by then and the speaker system was cutting in and out there so I couldn't hear the exact reason for him stopping.

Good day out even though some grids were a bit thin as suspected, but what was there was good to see (and hear). Also good to finally meet John and Claire in race control and to put faces to names.

Will post a few pics later. Gary
Old 13 Mar 2011, 10:10 (Ref:2844869)   #39
OU812
Rookie

England
Preston
OU812 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was a good race meeting. Oulton was the perfect setting for this kind of racing. Granted the small grids didn't help but what they lacked in numbers they made up for in BIG sounds The spectators seemed suitably entertained where I was.
Hopefully MSVR will bring the Masters series back next year, mid season would be ideal. It would be the perfect antidote to the BTCC!
Thanks to all the drivers for bringing their magnificent machines
Old 13 Mar 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2844939)   #40
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I echo the above, although not best grids and very long races, there was certainly some interesting cars, the Corvette was my highlight and left the ears ringing. A Good way to kick the season off.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 16:36 (Ref:2845037)   #41
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
So you thought I spun did you?
Actually I never spun all day. Oil pressure was a bit low at the end of qualifying but we thought maybe the oil was too thin and put in some Millers that Robin Longdon went home to fetch. Did not make any difference really, after a few laps of the race it was low again, but as the warning light did not come on I hoped it was just the gauge being pessimistic, and took it gently - when the light finally came on I shut off and coasted to a stop. Something wrong with the oil pump or pick up - same thing more or less when I went testing the car at Silverstone 2 weeks ago but we thought we fixed it. Obviously not. Hope to be ready for Barcelona in 3 weeks time.
Apart from that it was great fun, Oulton not being particularly 520 bhp for 700 kgs friendly. As Simon Hadfield (driving a Genie, similar period/type) said "we can use full throttle three times a lap!". As for the rolling start - I was the only one who did not accelerate before the starting line - the last time I do what Mr. Gee says!
Old 14 Mar 2011, 20:20 (Ref:2845754)   #42
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Pictures - 1970's Celebration Race (Clay Hill Trophy)

A few photos from the first race:
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_3358_edited-1.jpg   GJC_3383_edited-1.jpg   GJC_3425_edited-1.jpg  

GJC_3426_edited-1.jpg  
Old 14 Mar 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2845761)   #43
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Pre-1966 Touring Cars (The Avenue Trophy)

Selection from the second race:
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_3466_edited-1.jpg   GJC_3467_edited-1.jpg   GJC_3470_edited-1.jpg  

GJC_3473_edited-1.jpg   GJC_3582_edited-1.jpg   GJC_3611_edited-1.jpg  

Old 14 Mar 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2845768)   #44
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
World Sportscar Masters (The Knickerbrook Trophy)

Some from race 4 (sorry, missed race 3 FFord due to 'refreshment break'):
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_3705_edited-1.jpg   GJC_3712_edited-1.jpg   GJC_3757_edited-1.jpg  

GJC_3812_edited-1.jpg   GJC_3814_edited-1.jpg   GJC_3962_edited-1.jpg  

Old 14 Mar 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2845770)   #45
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Few more from World Sportscar Masters:
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_4019_edited-1.jpg   GJC_4093_edited-1.jpg   GJC_4116_edited-1.jpg  

GJC_4125_edited-1.jpg   GJC_4130_edited-1.jpg  
Old 14 Mar 2011, 20:43 (Ref:2845773)   #46
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Gentlemen Drivers / Pre-66 GT Cars (Cascades Trophy)

Just a few from the final race of the day:
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_4194_edited-1.jpg   GJC_4213_edited-1.jpg   GJC_4219_edited-1.jpg  

GJC_4308_edited-1.jpg  
Old 15 Mar 2011, 02:28 (Ref:2845923)   #47
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Was that Holman Blackburn out in the UFO Capri? How did it go?
Old 15 Mar 2011, 05:34 (Ref:2845946)   #48
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
#42 is Pochciol Capri. Results here

Schhhh- don't tell Al but there was a Camaro out.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 06:57 (Ref:2845955)   #49
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It does look similar to the one Holman was selling.

Thanks I could have looked it up myself.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 07:24 (Ref:2845958)   #50
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It does look similar to the one Holman was selling.

Thanks I could have looked it up myself.
Looks exactly like the one....

No problem- link for the benefit of all.