Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Nov 2019, 05:36 (Ref:3942265)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
FIA 8856-2018 New FIA homologation for Racewear

This info (received from Merlin Motorsport) should be self explanatory.....

2020 sees a new FIA homologation introduced for race wear. This means race suits, gloves, boots and under garments have had to meet stricter new regulations and be submitted for harsher testing. BUT do not panic! This new homologation is not relevant for 90% of competitors just yet.

The new homologation is FIA 8856-2018. If you are lucky enough to compete in Formula E, F1, WRC, WEC, F2 World RX etc then this new homologation will apply to you from now (2019-2020). That said, if you are competing at the highest levels of Motorsport, you’re probably getting your suit for free from the manufacturers, so this won’t change anything.

For all other FIA sanctioned events you will require this new homologation from 1st January 2029 – So if you do compete in these events, your current race wear homologated to FIA 8856-2000 is still completely valid for a good few years yet.

For MSA (Motorsport UK) governed events, these new homologations will not apply for many years to come (no date yet given) but we do recommend keeping a look out for changes as of course things are always changing.

As of now (November 2019) Alpinestars currently manufacture suits to both the current FIA 8856-2000 and the new standard FIA 8856-2018. As of 1st January 2022 all new race wear will have to be manufactured to the new FIA homologation. Manufacturers will phase in new standard race wear gradually, not all at once. This new standard of race wear will also carry a 10 year expiry date and the “not valid after” date will be shown on the FIA label.

We are happy to answer any questions our customers might have, but as already mentioned the new homologation is not relevant for 90% of competitors just yet so do not panic. As also mentioned, this new homologation will not apply to MSA events for quite some time (no date yet given) and when we do know, the MSA (Motorsport UK) will give plenty of notice for competitors to purchase new race wear.
Old 23 Nov 2019, 06:15 (Ref:3942266)   #2
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Dont want to be the first to spoil your new thread, Mike, but when Merlin talk about FIA 8856-2000 norm in my memory it was supposed to valid till 2023, not 2029. Would be glad to be corrected!
Old 23 Nov 2019, 06:22 (Ref:3942269)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Dont want to be the first to spoil your new thread, Mike, but when Merlin talk about FIA 8856-2000 norm in my memory it was supposed to valid till 2023, not 2029. Would be glad to be corrected!
According to Stand 21 website there is no expiry date for the old homologation. (Until now.)
Old 23 Nov 2019, 06:30 (Ref:3942270)   #4
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Should have say "Stand" to be corrected… I'm sure I saw the 2023 thing at least on RRS website and may be FIA too. If its 2029 I really dont give a penny to this hassle!
Old 23 Nov 2019, 06:41 (Ref:3942273)   #5
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Unfortunately as already said its difficult for us to have access to the DT catalogue. We have Oreca, GT2i, RRS and config-racing and all homologated socks they suggest at the moment are FIA 8856-2000 only.
Old 23 Nov 2019, 09:10 (Ref:3942284)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Unfortunately as already said its difficult for us to have access to the DT catalogue. We have Oreca, GT2i, RRS and config-racing and all homologated socks they suggest at the moment are FIA 8856-2000 only.
As it says in the release from Merlin, suits etc to the new homologation are being brought in gradually, but from beginning of 3022 all will be to 8856-2018
Old 23 Nov 2019, 09:51 (Ref:3942294)   #7
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
3022 is either a typo or you're looking too far ahead for most of us, Mike… Anyway thanks for the Merlin info.
Old 23 Nov 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3942301)   #8
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Given my age, in a perverse sort of way I really do hope I need a new suit to the new standard at some point !
Old 23 Nov 2019, 11:15 (Ref:3942311)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
3022 is either a typo or you're looking too far ahead for most of us, Mike… Anyway thanks for the Merlin info.
We’re all going to live to be over 100, Gerard! Yes, a typo- post created while out and no specs on......
Old 23 Nov 2019, 11:28 (Ref:3942315)   #10
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Self humor is so good, Mike! At least you do know you've one reader here. "Look", we're both applying a new driver licence, you need specs to write and I couldn't see the Lincoln huge letters from bob's pic last day! May be the secret to be fast on the track! You never know with ol'boys!
Old 25 Nov 2019, 11:12 (Ref:3942714)   #11
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Guys,

I suggest you take the information from there rather than catalogues, etc. The FIA Technical Lists will tell you all and even how the labels, etc. must be for the avoidance of doubts as well as fakes (a growing issue).

https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/761

You will note that there is start to an Homologation and in the case of FIA STANDARD 8856-2000, a date after which it cannot be manufactured as they are gradually replaced by newer ones. The listing is also interesting as it details the Homologation which have been cancelled.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 12:09 (Ref:3942729)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
Guys,

I suggest you take the information from there rather than catalogues, etc. The FIA Technical Lists will tell you all and even how the labels, etc. must be for the avoidance of doubts as well as fakes (a growing issue).

https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/761

You will note that there is start to an Homologation and in the case of FIA STANDARD 8856-2000, a date after which it cannot be manufactured as they are gradually replaced by newer ones. The listing is also interesting as it details the Homologation which have been cancelled.
Thanks, Duddha. There’s a big difference between the date a garment cannot be manufactured after, and the date it cannot be worn after!
Old 25 Nov 2019, 17:06 (Ref:3942781)   #13
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thank you very much. You will note that there is start to an Homologation and in the case of FIA STANDARD 8856-2000, a date after which it cannot be manufactured as they are gradually replaced by newer ones. This info is mainly for manufacturers, right? You can call me thick but where can I find the end of the homologation of a 8856-2000 racing suit from the user's point of view?
Taking an example, Stand won't be allowed to produce a ST221-HSC after the 31/12/2021. If someone buys one say on the 1/01/2022 till when can it be legally worn as suggested by Mike?
From Merlin: So if you do compete in these events, your current race wear homologated to FIA 8856-2000 is still completely valid for a good few years yet. Is the right answer 1st January 2029?
Old 25 Nov 2019, 18:33 (Ref:3942792)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Thank you very much. You will note that there is start to an Homologation and in the case of FIA STANDARD 8856-2000, a date after which it cannot be manufactured as they are gradually replaced by newer ones. This info is mainly for manufacturers, right? You can call me thick but where can I find the end of the homologation of a 8856-2000 racing suit from the user's point of view?
Taking an example, Stand won't be allowed to produce a ST221-HSC after the 31/12/2021. If someone buys one say on the 1/01/2022 till when can it be legally worn as suggested by Mike?
From Merlin: So if you do compete in these events, your current race wear homologated to FIA 8856-2000 is still completely valid for a good few years yet. Is the right answer 1st January 2029?
Yes. Unless Duddha comes up with a different date! Edit- note that is for FiA sanctioned events. National authorities may differ.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 25 Nov 2019 at 18:49.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 19:28 (Ref:3942805)   #15
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yes, FIA events only, fair enough, would be a good start. Why not a list of all the homologations about to be voided at the end of each year? As a reminder would be useful for scrutiny and competitors.