Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 May 2016, 22:00 (Ref:3638586)   #126
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Isn't that the intention of Gen2?
obviously gen2 was flawed. that's why there are no manufacturers committing to it. at the very best it will be just Holden and nissan.
Old 4 May 2016, 22:24 (Ref:3638589)   #127
amiers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
amiers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fear this is the beginning of the end for supercars. no Fords, no Volvo more than likely no Nissan just a grid full of Holdens. then as in 1979 Holden will pull out because there is no benefit racing your own brand.
Old 4 May 2016, 22:31 (Ref:3638590)   #128
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers View Post
I fear this is the beginning of the end for supercars. no Fords, no Volvo more than likely no Nissan just a grid full of Holdens. then as in 1979 Holden will pull out because there is no benefit racing your own brand.
Which may very well mean the end of live motorsport on TV in Australia, just a highlight package a few weeks latter
Old 4 May 2016, 22:38 (Ref:3638592)   #129
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers View Post
Rather sad.....
Old 4 May 2016, 22:42 (Ref:3638596)   #130
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Downward Spiral Detector currently scanning the horizon?
Old 4 May 2016, 22:43 (Ref:3638597)   #131
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sport is in dire straits, losing manufacturer support, teams struggling to secure decent sponsorship, major drop off's in viewership. Bit scary to be honest.
Old 4 May 2016, 22:43 (Ref:3638599)   #132
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So we are back to what I said in post # 1 and how I started this thread.

Must be a lot of posters since with egg on their faces............?
Old 4 May 2016, 22:44 (Ref:3638600)   #133
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All that has happened is one manufacturer has chosen to not renew their existing contract.

It is disappointing absolutely, but not the end of the world.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 4 May 2016, 22:45 (Ref:3638601)   #134
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
So we are back to what I said in post # 1 and how I started this thread.

I hope you aren't taking pleasure at Volvo leaving..
Old 4 May 2016, 22:50 (Ref:3638603)   #135
Fredrik N.
Rookie

Sweden
Fredrik N. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is really sad.

I don't see the logic in today's public statement about reclaiming engines and race cars? Whatever is in the contract I suppose this does not really help make Volvo more popular?

(No. 42, PARA. 6. How not to increase sales.)
Old 4 May 2016, 23:14 (Ref:3638609)   #136
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik N. View Post
I don't see the logic in today's public statement about reclaiming engines and race cars? Whatever is in the contract I suppose this does not really help make Volvo more popular?
It's going to be their intellectual property, and I suspect they'd rather not see Volvos gradually become uncompetitive until GRM stop running them.

I'm still surprised but trying to see the justification.
Old 4 May 2016, 23:38 (Ref:3638612)   #137
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
how about those volvos signing up again for 3 years. I imagine your a big fan of this? Looks like the series is on the up
So Peck looking at the above post - what does this mean for the series now?

Also what does this mean for a so called journalist who went with an 'exclusive' about a week ago?
Old 4 May 2016, 23:44 (Ref:3638613)   #138
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Why is it being written Volvo is "poised to confirm" rather than "Garry Rogers has confirmed" renewing for 3 years?

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/04/29/...22-gen3-plans/
I guess that answers that then...
Old 4 May 2016, 23:45 (Ref:3638614)   #139
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I hope you aren't taking pleasure at Volvo leaving..
The concept of "pleaseure"is completely irrelevant. I was just pointing out that my reading in Feruary wad that Volvo were leaving. All the posts since stating that that was not going to happen are now redundant.
Old 5 May 2016, 00:00 (Ref:3638615)   #140
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
All that has happened is one manufacturer has chosen to not renew their existing contract.

On the surface that may be the case, but beneath it's far more ominous because for sure having Volvo pull the plug will have an effect on how Nissan and Holden view the strength of the sport moving forward, and with big decisions looming on their end, it has potential to push the sport into further negative territory.

It also damages the perception of the sport to those on the outside.
Old 5 May 2016, 00:08 (Ref:3638619)   #141
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Isn't that the intention of Gen2?
Gen 2 involves retaining the existing platform, with the option of a turbocharged 4 or 6 cylinder powerplant. And given that after pumping millions into its program, Nissan after 4 years are still just making up the numbers, other manufacturers are understandably less than keen to do the same.

What is needed if new manufacturers are to be attracted is a clean slate, with every body starting from scratch with cars that are more market relevant. The BTCC went down the common platform path much like COTF a few years ago, but because their cars are more representative of manufacturers products, they have been more successful in bringing in new players.

Ultimately V8SC needs to weigh up the pros and cons of alienating some of its diehard supporter base with servicing the marketing needs of manufacturers.

Quote:
Not the end of the world. But from having 5 manufacturers last year we could be back to 2 again next year. And that is a substantial amount of $ out the door.
Old 5 May 2016, 00:09 (Ref:3638620)   #142
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
What is needed if new manufacturers are to be attracted is a clean slate, with every body starting from scratch with cars that are more market relevant. The BTCC went down the common platform path much like COTF a few years ago, but because their cars are more representative of manufacturers products, they have been more successful in bringing in new players.
And how many millions of dollars will that cost to do... And who then pays?

Its just not that simple.
Old 5 May 2016, 00:21 (Ref:3638622)   #143
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Politics kills Volvo V8 program

Trying to understand how last weeks article could be so wrong.

I wonder if its a case that Volvo Australia was prepared to commit for 3 more years but then Volvo Global pulled the pin and thus Volvo Australia had to say no

Volvo sales are up 54% YTD. but not really enough to justify racing in australia
Old 5 May 2016, 00:25 (Ref:3638624)   #144
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Trying to understand how last weeks article could be so wrong.
It wasn't wrong, it seems from this article that Volvo Australia had agreed an extension without asking Head Office, who got wind of the press before they were asked. And they said no.
Old 5 May 2016, 00:41 (Ref:3638626)   #145
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
The concept of "pleaseure"is completely irrelevant. I was just pointing out that my reading in Feruary wad that Volvo were leaving. All the posts since stating that that was not going to happen are now redundant.
"Pleasure" is absolutely relevant.

There is no pleasure in the loss of a manufacturer's support from any category.
Old 5 May 2016, 00:49 (Ref:3638627)   #146
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s View Post
On the surface that may be the case, but beneath it's far more ominous because for sure having Volvo pull the plug will have an effect on how Nissan and Holden view the strength of the sport moving forward, and with big decisions looming on their end, it has potential to push the sport into further negative territory.

It also damages the perception of the sport to those on the outside.
It would be doubtful that Holden or Nissan view their participation based solely on the activities of their competitors.

Marketing objectives including volume increases, showroom traffic increases, brand advertising or any number of different metrics will swing the continuation of support.

Holden for example has a challenge on its hands transforming to an import brand. And has a team with the 'factory' nameplate that has arguably been underperforming, and a contract up for renewal. The decision of continuing to support that team in particular will be a heavy one...

But whether or not Volvo is involved directly does not change the facts around the 'factory' team for them.

Nor the possibility of showing up at Clipsal in 2018 with maybe a dozen new Holden (nee Opel) Insignias ready to race the field.
Old 5 May 2016, 01:10 (Ref:3638630)   #147
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 5 May 2016, 01:33 (Ref:3638637)   #148
Mixer
Veteran

You wonder now whether GRM can keep Scotty Mac.

Could be a shocking double blow to GRM.
Old 5 May 2016, 01:39 (Ref:3638641)   #149
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Story Here

Old 5 May 2016, 01:52 (Ref:3638643)   #150
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You stay classy, San Diego