Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 21 Aug 2000, 03:30 (Ref:31777)   #1
renniesmill
Rookie

renniesmill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi! it may not be a f1-related subject, but hope i will get some replies...

anyone knows where/how to get MiniChamps F1 die-casts???
the problem is that i want some old ones, e.g. 1991 Schumacher on a Jordan, 1994 Schumacher on a Benetton... etc

i managed to find a shop that sell the '91 jordan one but it will cost me 100 quids!!!! they claimed Minichamps have stopped making them so thats why they are so expensive...

comments anyone???
Old 21 Aug 2000, 03:38 (Ref:31782)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Rennies Mill

Where did you get that name from? The only Rennies Mill I know is the Squatter Village near Junk Bay, and the Hong Kong Govt. tried desperately to clear them for re-development of the area.
Old 21 Aug 2000, 04:14 (Ref:31787)   #3
renniesmill
Rookie

hi there!

although not quite the answer i am looking for, but i am surprised there are people out there know this name!

you are 100% correct, i used to live there when i was little, i was so upset that the whole area got cleared by the government so i decided to use the name as its the only thing i can do to keep it in my memory...
so let me take a big wild guess, you are from hong kong, right?
Old 21 Aug 2000, 04:21 (Ref:31788)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Why were you living there? The inhabitants, from my memory, were refugees from China (I am guessing now) who were given some sort of guarantee of occupancy. However, when Junk Bay became the desired development, Rennies had to go, although many inhabitants hung out for better compensation although some refused to budge. I worked for the H.K. Govt. for many, many years, and was involved in clearance of squatter villages at one stage because of landslide threats. So, where did you fit in to this scene??
Did you leave Hong Kong, and if so, when?
Old 21 Aug 2000, 04:32 (Ref:31792)   #5
renniesmill
Rookie

i see...

i was living there because my grandnies, my dad... etc were refugees from china, but i was born in hong kong though, and i was living there until i was 12 i think, then family grew and moved out, but i did go back to visit my grandnies every so often though...
Old 21 Aug 2000, 04:38 (Ref:31794)   #6
renniesmill
Rookie

my dad moved out of rennies mill when he got married, whereas my grandnies stayed there, simply because they had their friends there, you know, real friends, as they were all refugees... i remembered the neighbourhoods were so nice that we didn't even need to lock our door at night...
but it was long time ago... haha.....
Old 21 Aug 2000, 05:07 (Ref:31797)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Yes!! The older generation did not want to move out of Rennies because they received so little compensation that there was nowhere they could go to. The H.K. Govt was really mean on this issue. This is especially galling, because Rennies was different from other squatter villages, in that there was some sort of guarranteed occupation right given to the occupants. The word and promises of the H.K. Govt were as reliable as the typhoon signals. I understand the comment about locking doors. When did you last go back to H.K.?
Old 21 Aug 2000, 05:22 (Ref:31799)   #8
renniesmill
Rookie

i went back last summer, for holiday.

so you retired now or working somewhere else??

*i think we will soon get kicked out of this forum if we carry on talking non-f1 stuffs, lets get it finish as soon as we can ok? otherwise i can keep going forever!!!*

or you can email me @ ehyc@hotmail.com if you want to!
Old 21 Aug 2000, 07:18 (Ref:31807)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, don't stop on my account at least - that was fascinating. I knew about the region, but had no idea of the name of it, and of course no idea why you, renniesmill, chose that particular monicker.

That's a nice thought.

But I've got a lead possibly on one of your cars. Have you tried the eBay auction site? I use it often, and I have bought a large number of race car models over the last year. My own thing is self-assembly kits, but there is a healthy trade in Minichamps going on too.

There's a 91 Schumacher Jordan listed right now. It's located in Germany, but I have had no hassles dealing across the globe, so that shouldn't be a problem. Current bid price is DM60 in Deutschmarks, which converts to about £19 sterling or $26 US.

You're right about the discontinued models. Minichamps do this deliberately in order to boost the collectability. But as the Schumacher Collection was so popular, I don't suppose they're actually all that scarce. After all, these are marketed as collector models, and so a fairly low percentage of them are going to be stripped of their packing and wind up in the toyboxes of the world!

Hope this helps.
Old 21 Aug 2000, 10:23 (Ref:31812)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
No not really retired, but semi, if you can understand the term. I am back in Oz now, butI am so bored that I want to work again. I keep fit by rollerblading, going to the gym, and walking, but that is not enough. I am bored stiff!!
When you went back to H.K., how did you find your heung hah??
Old 22 Aug 2000, 04:39 (Ref:32036)   #11
renniesmill
Rookie

oh, i go back nearly every year, so i know the place very well, and there is a thing called internet, so i can always check the hong kong news! so i am not like totally separated from hong kong at all.

my heung hah is actually a province in china and not rennie's mill, since that is the place where my ancestors belong, but i have never been there before though... i see myself very much a hong kong-ese. haha....

Oz?? i have friends over there too! although i haven't been to Oz b4 but i have been to new zealand though, and the weather there is 100 times nicer than in england here, esp the weather in manchester... haha...

and thanks TimD, i will definitely pay 19 pounds for that model!!!! so its http://www.eBay.com??
Old 22 Aug 2000, 13:31 (Ref:32116)   #12
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Minichamps models will be out at the end of September.

If you do a 'Minichamps' search on any search engine you'll get a lot of results and some of the shops which come up sell a great deal of older models.

I'm just cross because they have no plans to do a 1:18th scale M02...
Old 22 Aug 2000, 16:33 (Ref:32145)   #13
renniesmill
Rookie

Hi minardi fan!

so how do you keep your spirit up everytime when minardi keeps having DNFs or bad performances?? or you are just simply waiting for their time to come??
just wondering, no offense

i did search for minichamps and you are right, i found many companies that sell the models... but they are so expensive!

i can never afford a 100 GBP for the jordan 91 schumacher's die-cast!!

;p
Old 22 Aug 2000, 20:23 (Ref:32176)   #14
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan

I'm just cross because they have no plans to do a 1:18th scale M02...
Aww! Poor you!

Well, I've already found my 1:18 scale model. I spotted Ralf's 2000 Williams in a shop at the beginning of July, so that's me sorted! (for Christams, of course, otherwise I have to pay for it!)
Old 22 Aug 2000, 22:08 (Ref:32194)   #15
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luck Europeans, the only Formula 1 model I have seen is JV's 97 williams, it's a kit so you have to put it together. About the only racing models I find are from NASCAR, Lucky me. I thought I might have seen an F1 car in a store, turned out to be a f***** IRL car!

I'm gonna go weep in a corner now.
Old 23 Aug 2000, 01:24 (Ref:32235)   #16
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent

It's quite easy Rennie - besides we don't have too many DNF's, and what you see as a bad performance I don't. If Gene finishes in the top ten, I see it as a great performance. If Mazzacane does, it's a bloody miracle. .
Old 23 Aug 2000, 21:12 (Ref:32397)   #17
renniesmill
Rookie

i see... its great minardi has some fans like you!!!

but unfortunately i think arrows are stronger, maybe because of supertec.. heehe.e....
Old 24 Aug 2000, 00:04 (Ref:32419)   #18
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent

Definitely because of the Superdreck...

But not for much longer...

Old 24 Aug 2000, 10:52 (Ref:32478)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia

Hi Rennies mill,
I seldom check the news in H.K. anymore, especially with the Aussi Rules prelim finals this weekend, plus the Rugby League Grand Final, plus the Wallabies game with the Springboks, plus last but definitely not least the GP at Spa. I used to look up scmp.com, but I gave it away because it just started to frustrate me. I still check the Heng Seng at netvigator.com though.
Regarding your model cars, I wish you luck. You obviously have an intense interest in certain cars.
As for Minardi, think of it this way - with that lousy donk at the back, they can still qualify well within the 107% rule. And next year, they will get Renault engines. Maybe Toyota will buy them out, who knows. With their limitred budget, they are doing wonders. Dollar for Dollar, I would say they are achieving far more than Ferrari, who have not won a WDC since Scheckter despite having all that money and great drivers in the team. This helps us to keep the faith.
Old 25 Aug 2000, 20:21 (Ref:32767)   #20
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Minichamps models...

I've seen a few 1:18 scale models in a shop in town. They have both Williams-BMWs, Ralf and Jenson, a Jaguar, but no Minardis...

They also have a 1999 dual liveried BAR and a 1998 X-wing Jordan. Eventually I'll get round to buying that 1998 Ralf Jordan (which, unfortuately, isn't the X-wing version).
Old 25 Aug 2000, 21:10 (Ref:32782)   #21
renniesmill
Rookie

is that 1:18 scale model a die-cast? or a model that you use glues and put stickers on after assembling it?

i built a mclaren mp4/7 (i think) before and putting the stickers on is a pain in the a*$%... haha... the stickers were so tiny and thin! (you know, those you need water to stick them on...)

and i bought some paints too, thinking it would look much nicer with the colours... only found out afterwards that the colour was already coated onto the pieces.... i felt so stupid because i bought black, white and red....
;p
Old 11 Oct 2000, 21:01 (Ref:42429)   #22
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do I dare post another website?

http://www.raceland.de

I've preordered most of the 2000 DTM grid, as well as a Sierra and a couple of early 1990s F1 cars from there. However, the only way you'll get your mits on a 1991 Jordan or the likes is, as Tim stated, in an online auction...