Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 16 Jul 2018, 17:44 (Ref:3836979)   #351
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Seeing as how Brown paid out of pocket for the engines, manufacturer fee and modifications to the chassis I don't see where they can find anyone willing to pony up that money who isn't already racing in IMSA. But perhaps they could re-use their Ligiers, get rid of the modifications and just use the Gibson engine.
For starters, it sounds like Sharp is trying to persuade Nissan/Nismo to put some (more) money into the program.
Old 16 Jul 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3836981)   #352
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
For starters, it sounds like Sharp is trying to persuade Nissan/Nismo to put some (more) money into the program.
I very highly doubt that will happen. They haven't put a cent in so far. The only acknowledgement they have even made is when they announce their motorsport programmes, where ESM is shown under the customer racing banner next to ByKolles in LMP1.

Last edited by EffectiveSprinkles; 16 Jul 2018 at 17:56.
Old 16 Jul 2018, 19:08 (Ref:3836988)   #353
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
I very highly doubt that will happen. They haven't put a cent in so far. The only acknowledgement they have even made is when they announce their motorsport programmes, where ESM is shown under the customer racing banner next to ByKolles in LMP1.

Yup. In all likelihood this is bye-bye Nissan, as I strongly doubt ESM will find a sponsor willing to cough up the money for the program. It's not just the R&D(which is minimal compared to most prototype development programs), it's also that million-dollar "manufacturer participation fee" that's going to be an issue.
Old 16 Jul 2018, 20:57 (Ref:3837008)   #354
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Can't say this comes as a real surprise. Tequila Patron was bought by Bacardi in January for $5.1 billion — with Ed Brown no longer in charge, there will be a different marketing focus going forward.
Old 16 Jul 2018, 22:01 (Ref:3837029)   #355
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Can't say this comes as a real surprise. Tequila Patron was bought by Bacardi in January for $5.1 billion — with Ed Brown no longer in charge, there will be a different marketing focus going forward.
Ed is still in charge as he was before and I believe was working towards retirement before the sale, think he was kept in by request of Bacardi for the transition, if I remember right as it's been a while since I read up on the deal. It's just the new ownership has VERY different ideas about marketing and Bacardi just doesn't spend like DeJoria liked to. But he did admit that some of the market push and advertising was an investment in selling off the property when he was ready to retire. Not not too bad for a $700 investment in his (DeJoria) friend, stylist Paul Mitchell, and if you believe the story deciding to live in a 20 year old Rolls instead of an apartment to make the business work; made his money in styling and products and got to play in other areas that sparked his interest. But they left NHRA when his daughter retired last season and the team didn't retain any Patron sponsorship for this season, it seemed like everyone knew the ending was near for it all. Which sucks because they have one of the truly interesting and marketable liveries in racing.

And they have a hella stable of cars that could be lost with their involvement in PC with both the Lites and LMP3 cars. Although I think a few of those could help with funding themselves, don't think there are any pockets deep enough to keep the P cars running. Who needs a consistent, not earth-shattering fast Gold in JVO and a HOT shoe in Pipo, surprisingly also a Gold it seems.

I just can't help but feeling it's a drop of 3 cars in the off-season. Maybe the funds to run A P2 Ligier for the NAEC for ESM but as Nissan I think they're done. And think Spirit of Daytona are done without a sponsor filling Visit Florida's shoes.
Old 16 Jul 2018, 22:23 (Ref:3837043)   #356
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post

Pretty much. With the buyout comes a new marketing focus. Shame it has to be like that but that’s reality. Gonna miss the Patron colours especially from the Ferrari days. They were the best looking cars that weren’t red.

Hope I’m wrong folks but I can’t see ESM picking up sponsors to keep the two cars running and Nissan ain’t coming to the party. Hope to see them on the grid next year even it’s one car but I’m not very confident.
Old 17 Jul 2018, 00:16 (Ref:3837049)   #357
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
...and just that fast DPi's "rapid growth" turns into a "gradual decline". Better hurry up and declare the series dead I guess.
Old 17 Jul 2018, 00:49 (Ref:3837051)   #358
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
...and just that fast DPi's "rapid growth" turns into a "gradual decline". Better hurry up and declare the series dead I guess.
Split the classes before they lose any more teams!
Old 17 Jul 2018, 00:56 (Ref:3837052)   #359
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who's next? Mazda? Surely they can't be happy with Joest pretty much at the same level as Speedsource (results wise).
Old 17 Jul 2018, 01:46 (Ref:3837053)   #360
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
Who's next? Mazda? Surely they can't be happy with Joest pretty much at the same level as Speedsource (results wise).
Well the engine side has been a reasonable improvement so there's something to hang your hat on there.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 00:17 (Ref:3837210)   #361
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
I think the car (chassis) is a dog and it can't be completely fixed. May be some fundamental issues with the thing. The engine has gotten slightly better but they still have issues left and right.

The ESM team will be running a Ligier Gibson next year imo. Possibly just one entry by the way their talking. The 'Nissan' dpi was never a big program in terms of actual Nissan support anyway. If the Hyundai one comes about, it'll be the same as this year with it taking ESM's place. Sad situation but things happen.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 02:47 (Ref:3837217)   #362
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think the car (chassis) is a dog and it can't be completely fixed. May be some fundamental issues with the thing. The engine has gotten slightly better but they still have issues left and right.

The ESM team will be running a Ligier Gibson next year imo. Possibly just one entry by the way their talking. The 'Nissan' dpi was never a big program in terms of actual Nissan support anyway. If the Hyundai one comes about, it'll be the same as this year with it taking ESM's place. Sad situation but things happen.
Although IF the Hyundai thing does come about they would be wise to grab the opportunity with ESM and Ligier to build their car with a team that knows what's needed to meet IMSA rules. But otherwise I agree, it's a Sharp, JVO and other in a Ligier/Gibson car. And, if a P2 car is their route, I think Pipo will be allowed to sign elsewhere and could be the hottest commodity in the off season.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 07:44 (Ref:3837236)   #363
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Although IF the Hyundai thing does come about they would be wise to grab the opportunity with ESM and Ligier to build their car with a team that knows what's needed to meet IMSA rules. But otherwise I agree, it's a Sharp, JVO and other in a Ligier/Gibson car. And, if a P2 car is their route, I think Pipo will be allowed to sign elsewhere and could be the hottest commodity in the off season.
Good call on an ESM/Ligier/Hyundai combo. That'd work for all parties. Pipo being a Ligier driver would help that.

Regarding Mazda, maybe they just have to get everything behind the scenes inline and then swap chassis when IMSA decides what it's doing for the next generation. We're due a new set of LMP2 for 2020 (I think it's through till the end of 2020...but who knows with the winter schedule for WEC what they'll do), so maybe they're just doing their best until they can swap? Got to assume Oreca, Ligier and Dallara will be back, and someone will replace the Riley I imagine.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 10:19 (Ref:3837265)   #364
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I imagine Pipo is destined for bigger things in 19. I imagine with the super season / Winter WEC seasons covering 2019 he will still run in IMSA somewhere, but id be suprised not to see Caddy, Acura, or Mazda sign him for more money...

regarding Mazda, I think its unfair to say they have been totally useless (not suggesting anyone has actually said they are)... They have shown some fantastic form, and Joest have clearly improved things for this year.

But its been said many times in many ways, you can only polish a steaming heap so much... I imagine Mazda just want to grab some little gains here and there while they wait for the next homologation cycle to drop that Riley.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3837312)   #365
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
I imagine Pipo is destined for bigger things in 19. I imagine with the super season / Winter WEC seasons covering 2019 he will still run in IMSA somewhere, but id be suprised not to see Caddy, Acura, or Mazda sign him for more money...

regarding Mazda, I think its unfair to say they have been totally useless (not suggesting anyone has actually said they are)... They have shown some fantastic form, and Joest have clearly improved things for this year.

But its been said many times in many ways, you can only polish a steaming heap so much... I imagine Mazda just want to grab some little gains here and there while they wait for the next homologation cycle to drop that Riley.
I would think that Derani is first in line to step in if there is a job opening in any of the 4 full time Ford GT cars. Granted turnover with Ford has been minimal since the program started. Ferrari has been underperforming so far. So maybe Derani will be appealing to them.

Perhaps Mazda needs an upgrade in the drivers department. Have any of the Mazda drivers specifically been underperforming from anybody's observation? Perhaps Derani could fit in there.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 13:25 (Ref:3837317)   #366
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Regarding Mazda, maybe they just have to get everything behind the scenes inline and then swap chassis when IMSA decides what it's doing for the next generation. We're due a new set of LMP2 for 2020
Isn't the current DPi formula homologated through 2021 as well?
Old 18 Jul 2018, 13:43 (Ref:3837324)   #367
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it is, although IMSA is a bit more flexible than the ACO when it comes to homologation. If it means improved Mazda performance then I could see them shifting the homologation rules for them a bit.

IMSA could do well keeping the old chassis as there will be lots of Oreca and Ligier kicking around after they're outdated.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 13:48 (Ref:3837326)   #368
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I could definitely see IMSA allowing a Mazda updated toy prior to homologation ending running under draft homologation rules as they have for DPis. Especially with it being Mazda, and the dog of a Riley.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3837337)   #369
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Different topic, but with Indycar now taking a mid to late Sept spot at Laguna Seca starting in 2019, and having a provision for increased sanctioning fees should the event be too close to the IMSA weekend, I wonder if the Laguna Seca IMSA race moves back to may, after Long Beach. Seem likely?

Or, long shot, does IMSA take the vacated weekend at Sonoma in Sept.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 18 Jul 2018, 15:43 (Ref:3837339)   #370
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
Different topic, but with Indycar now taking a mid to late Sept spot at Laguna Seca starting in 2019, and having a provision for increased sanctioning fees should the event be too close to the IMSA weekend, I wonder if the Laguna Seca IMSA race moves back to may, after Long Beach. Seem likely?

Or, long shot, does IMSA take the vacated weekend at Sonoma in Sept.

I was wondering about the imsa schedule as well. I guess we will find out in a few weeks at Road America when they release the schedule.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3837358)   #371
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
For some reason I can't see IMSA going back to Sears Point. They left after '05 for some reason and haven't come back in the ALMS days, and Grand Am gave it a shot a couple of times and left too.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 18:56 (Ref:3837375)   #372
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Isn't the current DPi formula homologated through 2021 as well?

The formula is, but there is no rule, AFAIK, that a manufacturer can't change chassis partners.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 19:38 (Ref:3837389)   #373
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I agree. I think an IMSA event would do well there if laguna was gone, but two events in bay area in 1 yr, prob not gonna happen, tho I can hope!!

Old 18 Jul 2018, 23:50 (Ref:3837413)   #374
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
There is probably a looming fight about the next generation of LMP2 rules anyways, which makes the posturing about LMP1 all the more amusing.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 15:32 (Ref:3840658)   #375
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is willing to play ball with IndyCar about continuing the Belle Isle race and has made a counter proposal. Basically, DNR wants:

• A little higher park use fee, $310,000 a year instead of the $300,000 a year offered by race organizers.

• A larger contribution to the park. Organizers offered to give $50,000 as DNR deems appropriate plus $35,000 for paddock projects/programming. DNR wants $100,000 a year to be spent as it deems appropriate.

• Stronger contract usage on set up and tear down time limits (62 day max), including a guarantee that access to park roadways and features be restricted for no more than 21 days.

• Limits on where the television helicopter can fly.

A USA Today story is available here. A deal between the organizers and the state seems likely, which means for better or worse that IMSA is likely going back to Detroit for the next few years.