Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 12 Apr 2003, 19:28 (Ref:567451)   #1
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Champcar-Brands RUINED!

A second layer of 6ft high debris fencing has just been put up at Brands and seen today at the 750MC meeting. It is bolted to the armco barrier posts from Paddock Bend all the way up to Druids and down the hill with just a small gap for marshals to exit through-if you are spectating then you now have two layers to peer through. The same from the bottom of the hill at Paddock Bend on the INSIDE-all the way up to Driuds and back down again! There is hardly nowhere to take pictures-even with a pass...and virtually nowhere to flag from. If anyone thought they would go to Brands and get some nice pictures of Champcars/BTCC then forget it-ask for your money back now! I did hear it was just erected fot the Champcars-I bloodywell hope so!!
Old 12 Apr 2003, 20:49 (Ref:567560)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
baz, i was there on friday and didn't notice it, is it really that bad with photographer's access?
Old 12 Apr 2003, 22:12 (Ref:567646)   #3
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I shall investigate tommorrow!
Old 13 Apr 2003, 07:08 (Ref:567868)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they are going to remove the old fencing? Otherwise,I am glad I have not yet booked my ticket.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 09:20 (Ref:567944)   #5
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bella, yes it is! Other than a few slots in the armco to lean out of to take pics(from mid way down Paddock onwards)the only other way is to stand above it all and that would be standing in front of the spectators at Paddock Bend which wont go down well!!
Old 13 Apr 2003, 10:12 (Ref:567984)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
well it might have to if we've got stuff to do...! so long as it doesn't rain i guess you could always sit...

aw crud. is druids untouched so far? exit of druids? better start finding some new places to take pictures.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 19:40 (Ref:568420)   #7
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was at Brands Friday pm and all day yesterday and today.

The inside (enclosure) at Druids was untouched on Friday night - the outside of the circuit however was already fenced as Baz says, from bottom of Paddock to just before Graham Hill.

Come Saturday morning fencing had been put up around the Druids enclosure from the bottom of Paddock to the turn-in point at Druids. I managed however to get some good shots from the inside of Druids from the new earth bank. As I left the circuit that night the workmen were already fencing the area I had been shooting from all day!!!

By Sunday morning they`d fenced right the way down to Graham Hill Bend on the inside!!

I`m strictly an amatuer but for any pro`s out there I`d steer clear of Druids for Champcar!! Effectively there are now no photography possibilities from behind the armco from the bottom of Paddock to Graham Hill Bend on both inside and outside of the track!!!

I expect the fencing to almost certainly cover Surtees and Clearways and Clark Curve by the time next weeks BRSCC Easter meeting arrives.

The only positive point is that if it goes up that quick it could probably come down just as quick, so if Octagon get their fingers out (yeah right!!) then it might only spoil things for the one event.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 20:19 (Ref:568439)   #8
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was marshalling at Brands this weekend and there were lots of complaints about the new fencing and marshal access and flag points around the Paddock/Druids area. I was on post 8 which is at the start of the straight behind the pits, and that too is going to have high fencing put round. I've heard that some will come down after the race, as will the tarmac at paddock. I also take photos and have realised that there won't be many taken on the race track that weekend, just in the paddock.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 20:33 (Ref:568458)   #9
Elio
Veteran

I sure hope its the bits at Druids and Surtees (which I assume will be also fenced) that will be coming down!

Personally I can`t see the point in any of it really - its not that much higher than the existing fencing and it looks so flimsy that I`d be surprised if it could stop anything which comes at it at a rate-of-knots.

There will still be a fair few areas left where you can get some good track shots - just need a pair of steps and a sense of balance!!!
Old 13 Apr 2003, 22:19 (Ref:568540)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bloody idiots.

come on guys, how many photographers are there going to be jostling for a place? i don't think i'll bother on race day now.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 02:01 (Ref:568671)   #11
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to say it, but... If it weren't Pook running the series, CART'd probably be more than happy to run on the circuit as it was.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 08:12 (Ref:568816)   #12
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This sounds like total overkill...not sure I'm looking forward to going now
Old 14 Apr 2003, 08:34 (Ref:568828)   #13
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Also having spent the weekend marshalling there I have to agree with everything said so far - except Baz me mate, I reckon the damn stuff is over 10ft high (in total, 6ft plus of dodgy fencing on top of armco).
For marshals, especially those flagging, it's almost impossible to get a decent sight line for the oncoming traffic. So no complaints about poor quality of flagging post race plase Baz.
As we left Sunday at 6pm, the work crew were back out to put more of the damn stuff up.
I agree with elio that the whole of the track will have this stuff soon. So between that and the existing catch fencing I reckon a lot of spectators will be ****ed off if they want to take piccies. As for the pros like Baz.... Looks like the boys and girls in orange will be fighting with yous for the available gaps.

It'd better come down again, otherwise the place is ruined

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 14 Apr 2003 at 08:36.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 08:36 (Ref:568830)   #14
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
is it CART or do you think its Octagon covering their asses against a worse case scenario?
Old 14 Apr 2003, 08:40 (Ref:568834)   #15
chrisgr31
Racer

chrisgr31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they must be expecting a lot of spectators if they can afford to lay loads of tarmac, then rip it up after the race, erect loads of fencing, then rip it down after the race, especially as presumably they'll be repeating the whole exercise next year.

Would be handy if someone could post some photo's of Octagons activities. However have to say whilst I used to find fencing annoying I don't so much now. For a start I rarely take pictures, having decided that a one photo of a moving racing car often looks fairly similiar to a photo of a stationary one!

The other thing is that with going one does get all the noise and atmosphere. I can't go this year have to go to a christening in Truro so I am not a happy bunny.

One thing is for certain though if Octagon didn't erect all this fencing and someone in the crowd got hurt there would be all manner of hell to pay. I suspect many spectators at a big meeting really don't appreciate that the warning on tickets "Motorsport is dangerous" is actually true.

If we can think of another safer way then lets pass it on.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 11:05 (Ref:568930)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
octagon i reckon have decided to cover their backsides. the only place where there's going to be high speeds is the main straight and i guess you wouldn't take a second thought to putting up high fencing round a 1 mile oval.

i also expect them to take it down after the weekend. have they actually thought about it and put a tv camera gap in the fence as well as a photographers point? or will everyone be fighting for the same gap.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 20:07 (Ref:569389)   #17
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Bodysnatcher, I'm sure the flaging will be as good as it always is! The next thing is that I can see BIG problems with marshals saying to photographers-"oi mate-you cant take pictures from there, I need to wave my flags through there!" An understandable problem-but what will the outcome be...presuming the the "CHUMPcars" cars will require flaging as per normal?
Old 14 Apr 2003, 23:03 (Ref:569562)   #18
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But...

From, what I remmeber, you guys haven't had errant tires and parts go into a crowd of spectators recently like have happened here in the US in the last few years. I sympathize, but it ain't pretty...
Old 15 Apr 2003, 08:33 (Ref:569872)   #19
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
FL48' Yes we have, and your right it isn't pleasant and I have also had my fair share of very close calls-but this is huge overkill. Thousands of spectators will turn up hoping to see the Champcars and the British Touring Cars at close quarters and with the thoughts of perhaps getting some nice pictures (already behind ample debris fencing), believe me-they will not return and there will be a huge backlash in the racing press from all concerned, spectators, media, marshals etc and I can see big trouble on the day from all these at the circuit. The circuit will soon see towers with search lights, armed guards with dogs...thats all thats missing from the POW camp it now resembles!
Old 15 Apr 2003, 10:52 (Ref:569969)   #20
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think that confirms my decision not to go. I suffer from an eyesight deficiency I will not detail now,but 2 layers of fencing to peer through would be a waste of time.I encountered this problem at Donnington Park some 18 months ago,have not been there since.
Re;POW camps,I once heard of a chap who was a guest of the Nazis in WW2.Post war was a regular spectator at Silverstone. Till one day he turned up to find the place surrounded by the wire mesh,could not face going in and returned home.

Last edited by Rob29; 15 Apr 2003 at 10:59.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 11:00 (Ref:569976)   #21
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
don't give up on Donington..go on the infield and there are plenty of uninhibited viewing areas close to the track
Old 15 Apr 2003, 20:06 (Ref:570460)   #22
blackfalcon
Racer

blackfalcon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are a few points where you could shoot over the fencing on the outside from Paddock Hill up to Druids. They are apparently going to fence the whole circut. Bring long lenses.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 01:17 (Ref:570678)   #23
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've only got a little camera, doubt i'm goijng now, got other plans and if i'm gonna see bugger all, it hardly seems worth it.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 18:58 (Ref:571447)   #24
Elio
Veteran

For those guys and gals who wanted some pictures of the new POW camp just outside West Kingsdown, I just remembered that I took this on Sunday evening (sorry it`s a tad late!!). It will at least give those that are considering whether to go to CART or not an idea of what to expect.

Personally I would definately still go - it may end up being a one-off knowing Brands and Octagon so you should all make the most of it. Yes photography is now severely restricted (although still very possible if you bring a box!) but at the end of the day you can still get a fairly good view - it is Brands Hatch after all - not one of those dodgy airfield circuits!
Attached Thumbnails
img_4149.jpg  
Old 16 Apr 2003, 19:07 (Ref:571455)   #25
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only shooting involving Brands you can do anymore... No, I won't say it, but it involves the people running the place.