Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Feb 2005, 03:59 (Ref:1216110)   #1
TrevorC
Rookie

TrevorC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche in 2006 ?

I was just over in the racing forum of www.flat-6.net where there is a post about someone who claims they saw a camoflaged prototype Porsche being tested on the 'Ring.

Personally I think it garbage, and additionally I have seen no posts anywhere else that are even rumours...

Comments ?? If it was true that P was going to be back next year and Audi still in it (LM), I'm going to make plans to attend in '06

Trevor
Western Canada
Old 3 Feb 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1216169)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would not discount this, remember that was a rumour doing the rounds last summer that Porsche have tested a LMP1 car in South Africa.

I was at the BTCC round at Brands Hatch last summer and Porsche UK had a Carrera GT doing some demo lap's asked the chap from Porsche UK if the rumour was ture and he said couldn't comment.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1216191)   #3
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
There is an interesting comment from Jan lammers at the bottom of this article:

http://www.janlammers.com/engels/Xml...tem.xsl&id=190

where he states:

"The third and last option is to build a completely new car that complies fully with the new regulations..... Audi and Porsche are currently developing such cars but have decided not to participate with these cars until 2006"

I dont know how much this is based on facts but Jan is certainly someone whos comments should be believed.

Lets hope its right.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1216234)   #4
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I saw that article Mal. I did some digging and I don't think Jan was supposed to say that. Has he just let the big fat kitty out of the bag ?
Old 3 Feb 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1216364)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Please, God, let it be true.

I do, though, find it strange in the world of motor racing that Porsche could have tested a prototype on two separate occasions and NO-ONE has a picture, however blurry.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1216432)   #6
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
Please, God, let it be true.

I do, though, find it strange in the world of motor racing that Porsche could have tested a prototype on two separate occasions and NO-ONE has a picture, however blurry.
They built one at the beginning of 2000 or 2001 as I distinctly remember seeing a picture of McNish (I think it was) testing it, but nothing ever came of it. He was a Porsche driver at that point on loan to Audi during 2000.

It was talked about, but the development of the Cayenne stopped it racing I believe.
I wonder if its the same car that's been developed or a completely new one?
Old 3 Feb 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1216448)   #7
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, it is about time Porsche came back with a proper Sportscar effort. We have, unfortunately, had several red herrings from them (like 2000/01), and now would be a good time to come back; GT and Sportscar racing is starting to gain momentum again.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1216454)   #8
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/porschelmp1.html

The Porsche LMP1 story, and pictures at the link.

We can only hope of such a project.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 3 Feb 2005 at 13:05.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1216480)   #9
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche has started to be more involved at least in the Grand-Am series (FabCar is that right?), let's hope there will be an LMP1 in the near future.

Last edited by TerryC; 3 Feb 2005 at 13:29.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1216762)   #10
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Normally Porsche would be pushing the 997 GT3R development... if they weren't working on "something else". lmsr.net also has a very vague story about a german P1 running in the future...

Isn't the Nurburgring a strange place to test an LMP? The track is close to rally stage standards, and I can't imagine ground effects working there. The Weissach test track is certainly smoother, and more secretive... Let's hope for the best anyway.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1216770)   #11
Carousel
Rookie

Carousel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix
lmsr.net also has a very vague story...
Old 3 Feb 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1216776)   #12
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
...... The Weissach test track is certainly smoother, and more secretive... Let's hope for the best anyway.
Definitely Weissach
Old 4 Feb 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1217291)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i was wondering. if porsche do go ahead and build an lmp1, would this be vindication of the acos decision to continue to favour the prototypes?
Old 4 Feb 2005, 14:30 (Ref:1217444)   #14
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Karl Kling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Normally Porsche would be pushing the 997 GT3R development...
Have patience, the 997 is just released. The current RSR still has a lot more to give but i'm pretty sure there will be a 997 GT3 R next year or so. There is a Cup version ready to race for this season and the GT3 road car should be up for sale this fall. It took the 996 GT3 R over a year to be released after the introduction of the new 911.

Quote:
if they weren't working on "something else"
Yeah, right... Every year since 1998 there has been speculations on when Porsche will return to Le Mans with a prototype and i'm beginning to think it will continue for many years on. If Porsche has a prototype on the grid at Le Mans in 2006 i'll eat nothing but merguez sandwiches for a year!
Old 4 Feb 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1217649)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Kling

Yeah, right... Every year since 1998 there has been speculations on when Porsche will return to Le Mans with a prototype and i'm beginning to think it will continue for many years on. If Porsche has a prototype on the grid at Le Mans in 2006 i'll eat nothing but merguez sandwiches for a year!

Not such a bad penance Karl.........
Old 4 Feb 2005, 23:37 (Ref:1217849)   #16
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi

as a veggie i think i'd rather eat the porsche ayse...
Old 5 Feb 2005, 07:17 (Ref:1217986)   #17
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
If Porsche has a prototype on the grid at Le Mans in 2006 i'll eat nothing but merguez sandwiches for a year!
You better you bet, Johan ! And you'll start at noon on saturday, we'll be here !

Note that I share your pessimism here, but I won't take the bet... merguez sandwiches... let's say see food, foie gras and some nice white Burgundy for me !
Old 5 Feb 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1218148)   #18
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when did this sighting take place at the 'ring?

It's been snowed under for some weeks I believe.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1218156)   #19
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gi_gav
when did this sighting take place at the 'ring?

It's been snowed under for some weeks I believe.
IMO it would make no sense to test this LMP at the "ring".
Old 5 Feb 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1218167)   #20
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Well, that depends on how you look at it. A whole weekend of those greasy, burned sausages can be a bit horrible. The first ones on thursday-friday are really nice but the final merguez on sunday evening almost makes me wanna puke so imagine a year... But i really want Porsche back so if they really return in 2006 it's better to eat merguez than a hat!

Maybe i should make a documentary about it like that "Supersize Me" movie.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1220446)   #21
pounetbf
Racer

pounetbf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If Porsche has a prototype on the grid at Le Mans in 2006 i'll eat nothing but merguez sandwiches for a year!
For such a bet I am ready to give money to Porsche for this LMP !

Who else ???
Old 9 Feb 2005, 08:52 (Ref:1220746)   #22
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
.....If Porsche has a prototype on the grid at Le Mans in 2006 i'll eat nothing but merguez sandwiches for a year!........
Oh dear Karl !!!!!!
Old 9 Feb 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1220760)   #23
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounetbf
For such a bet I am ready to give money to Porsche for this LMP !

Who else ???
Count me in !
Old 9 Feb 2005, 09:46 (Ref:1220803)   #24
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Have patience, the 997 is just released. The current RSR still has a lot more to give but i'm pretty sure there will be a 997 GT3 R next year or so. There is a Cup version ready to race for this season and the GT3 road car should be up for sale this fall. It took the 996 GT3 R over a year to be released after the introduction of the new 911.

after todays news, lets hope you're building up your appetite.
Old 9 Feb 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1221191)   #25
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Oh ****! I just read the news at DSC..... Great news! At least for Le Mans and Porsche but really bad news for me. My only hope now is that Herr Dr Wiedeking does what he has done best this far in pulling the plug on any attempt to start an LMP program.

Or that you all have forgotten this when it's time for Le Mans 2006.