Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 1 Sep 2009, 02:33 (Ref:2532259)   #101
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I know, but I was tired. I guess it was the beginning of a bug. I got home about 7.15 to four very p----d off birds. They are used to being out of their cage most of the time and 3 days locked up had them mad.
I spent most of this morning on the throne and slept all afternoon. I had slept well at the motel Fri. and Sat. and well last night so whatever it was was nasty.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 13:28 (Ref:2532480)   #102
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't sound good - Mosport food? Hope you get better soon!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 1 Sep 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2532595)   #103
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada

Thanks Jay. Ok today. Not Mosport food as I didn't have any, although it is not bad now. I do eat it on occassion. I remember the steamed in tinfoil hamburgers in the Bernie and Harvie days!
Had brought Cheese and lettuce sandwhiches so unlikely that.
Just some little flu bug I guess.
Do you go to any of the club races at Mosport?
Old 1 Sep 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2532615)   #104
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
How is a "McMosport"? I haven't had the guts to try one of those yet....

I've only been to the ALMS event at Mosport - this was my 3rd year. I usually only make it to a few races per year, and for smaller events I've been going to Tremblant and Calabogie which are closer. I almost went to the Speed World Challenge weekend in May though.

Mosport's a unique track - I don't know if it's the 40 year old control tower/media centre, the lack of safety facilities (and people are complaining about the few catch fences that have been installed), the old concession stands, the disregard for safety many of the spectators have (like sneaking trackside on the back straight) - but I always feel like I'm stepping back in a time capsule - to the 60s or 70s when I come to Mosport. Even though I was born in 1982, and would have no idea what those days were like.

One funny note on Simona's crash - apparently the report that she had flipped twice came from herself in an interview in victory circle after the race, and it spread a bit among the media. Several witnesses confirmed that she didn't flip though - just got on her side, 90 degrees and then landed right side up. Still a massive accident...and a lucky girl.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 1 Sep 2009, 17:48 (Ref:2532618)   #105
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Following Atlantic is very difficult unless you can make it out to the track they race at. While the bunch running the series are moving mountains to make things happen, the PR side is very lacking - especially their website.

This facebook group seems to be a good place for news: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Browns...da/90562133620

Most of the Atlantic community, and a lot of the former Champcar community are members.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2532641)   #106
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Following Atlantic is very difficult unless you can make it out to the track they race at. While the bunch running the series are moving mountains to make things happen, the PR side is very lacking - especially their website.

This facebook group seems to be a good place for news: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Browns...da/90562133620

Most of the Atlantic community, and a lot of the former Champcar community are members.
I think Atlantics only has 5 employees so that is part of the problem.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to the series. Certainly there is no reason now why they can't turn up the wick on the horsepower.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 18:39 (Ref:2532651)   #107
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I think Atlantics only has 5 employees so that is part of the problem.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to the series. Certainly there is no reason now why they can't turn up the wick on the horsepower.
I know they only have a few employees, and I could name most of them - they do an amazing job for the most part, but there is one person whom I have to wonder what they do all day given how slow the series is send out session reports, pit notes, etc.. the state of the website and the amount of news that comes out of them.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 21:43 (Ref:2532787)   #108
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I know they only have a few employees, and I could name most of them - they do an amazing job for the most part, but there is one person whom I have to wonder what they do all day given how slow the series is send out session reports, pit notes, etc.. the state of the website and the amount of news that comes out of them.
Maybe. They have a lot of work to do so we'll see. Certainly a lot of potential there. I think for starters they should cast aside the "support series" or "developmental series". No need to carry that tag anymore.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 00:07 (Ref:2532847)   #109
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
The McMosport is a heart attack on a bun. Pretty good though. I have had a couple.
When I head to Mosport I breakfast at home. When I stay overnight I have breakfast at Captain's in Lindsay. 2 sausages (or bacon or ham) 2 slices of toast, 2 eggs and homefries, $4.99. Sunday since I didn't have a coffee refill at my table I got a large takeout free.
I noticed the Mosport coffee cups were about half the size they are at a club race for the same price! I didn't check out other prices.
I hope to get to Calabogie next year but about a 6 hour drive. I do miss going to St Jovite and swimming in the whirlpool in the Devils River behind 1. If you haven't been there do not go in unless you are a strong swimmer!
Old 2 Sep 2009, 04:30 (Ref:2532885)   #110
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I never thought of swimming in that river! I don't remember seeing people swim there before, but then I never went back there. I need to check out Calabogie as well, considering it's only 1.5 hours from me...I've been there for skiing many times. I'll likely check out the Superbikes next year.

I should clarify my Atlantic comments - the small bunch they have do a tremendous job, I just think they need to do more to get their story out there. The website is updated far too infrequently and minimally.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2534658)   #111
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
A fan caught the impact of Simona's crash at Mosport (turn 2 exit) on video with hand-cam, and posted it on youtube -the quality is poor, but it's the only footage I have seen of this crash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnP-pQM41qI
Old 9 Sep 2009, 09:31 (Ref:2536955)   #112
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats big impact - did something brake on her car?
Old 9 Sep 2009, 15:41 (Ref:2537119)   #113
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Not sure - though some witnesses said she had been taking a slightly different line through the corner all weekend - going right over a large bump in the corner that most of the other drivers were going around. They seemed to think that when she hit that bump she lost it and went off. Once you put one wheel off at turn 2, you're guaranteed at least one hard impact...sometimes two.

Her car was definitely not doing well though - she was losing places at the time and seemed to be having handling issues.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 14:40 (Ref:2542835)   #114
JOWT Blog
Racer

United States
JOWT Blog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a quick update: Frederic Vervisch, Dane Cameron and Greg Mansell all completed a test day with Genoa Racing at Gingerman yesterday.
Old 26 Sep 2009, 00:16 (Ref:2548383)   #115
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Road Atlanta Qualifying...

1. Jonathan Summerton - 1:15.166
2. John Edwards - 1:15.345
3. Simona De Silvestro - 1:15.357
4. Jonathan Bomarito - 1:15.614
5. Frederic Vervisch - 1:15.645
6. Markus Niemela - 1:15.664
7. Tonis Kasemets - 1:16.083
8. Greg Mansell - 1:16.083
9. James Winslow - 1:16.439
10. Max Lefevre - 1:16.891
Old 26 Sep 2009, 12:27 (Ref:2548559)   #116
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is Greg Mansell back in the series? Given up on Europe again?! Has Frankie Muniz recovered yet? He was having his best season to date.
Old 26 Sep 2009, 23:54 (Ref:2548871)   #117
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Summerton gets his 4th race win of the season...

Race Results...

1. Jonathan Summerton
2. Simona De Silvestro +4.208
3. John Edwards +4.764
4. Jonathan Bomarito +8.955
5. Markus Niemela +13.368
6. Frederic Vervisch +14.304
7. James Winslow +16.103

Points after 11 of 12...

Simona de Silvestro - 176
Jonathan Summerton - 169
John Edwards - 166
Frederic Vervisch - 121
Tonis Kasemets - 95
Borja Garcia - 88
Markus Niemela - 85
James Winslow - 65
Frankie Muniz - 62
Max Lefevre - 53

***Final round is at Laguna Seca on October 11...
Old 12 Oct 2009, 23:33 (Ref:2560236)   #118
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
John Edwards won at Laguna Seca from his team-mate Jonathan Summerton by just on 1 second - the win secured Edwards the title on count back... Simona de Silvestro tangled with 2008 Champion Markus Niemela on the opening lap in the Corkscrew...

Final Points...

John Edwards - 182
Jonathan Summerton - 182
Simona de Silvestro - 176
Frederic Vervisch - 131
Tonis Kasemets - 103
Markus Niemela - 98
Borja Garcia - 88
James Winslow - 72
Frankie Muniz - 62
Max Lefevre - 58
Old 13 Oct 2009, 11:34 (Ref:2560504)   #119
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow, what a finish Shame for the late season slip of Simona, she was very close to become one of few(if not the only) girls to win major open-wheel championship! Now what next for John Edwards(GP2?) and Simona(Indy?)? Summerton seems sure to be USF1 bound, said at least test-driver.
Old 13 Oct 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2560509)   #120
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
wow, what a finish Shame for the late season slip of Simona, she was very close to become one of few(if not the only) girls to win major open-wheel championship! Now what next for John Edwards(GP2?) and Simona(Indy?)? Summerton seems sure to be USF1 bound, said at least test-driver.
I think JME should go to F3 if he does get that money. GP2 is a bit of a big step, and he needs to get back in the European frame of mind. British F3 could be a good place, IFM maybe.
Old 13 Oct 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2560739)   #121
sauber11
Racer

Russian Federation
sauber11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe WSR would be better choise. Edwards won star mazda championship , which is equal to formula renault 2.0. Now he won atlantic , which is in my eyes formula2\formula3 alternative.
Also i believe as he already drove in eurocup before he knows the WSR tracks, so it might help.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 00:23 (Ref:2560895)   #122
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, 2 seasons! He's got time on his side and he seems to be gathering momentum, he started at 13 or 14 in formulas.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 01:05 (Ref:2560911)   #123
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Edwards is the 2008 Star Mazda champion and 2009 Atlantic champion, no need to do F3! I find it astonishing that he is just 18 years old and yet this was his 6th year of single-seater racing...I'm still unsure of how he actually acquired a racing license to do the Formula Renault Eurocup when he was 14 years old!
Old 15 Oct 2009, 19:27 (Ref:2562201)   #124
JOWT Blog
Racer

United States
JOWT Blog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just posted a video featuring the controversial incident between Markus Niemela and Simona De Silvestro at the Atlantic Championship series' finale. You can view onboard footage from Markus's car here: http://www.junioropenwheeltalent.com...of-the-day-23/
Old 16 Oct 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2562586)   #125
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Corkscrew always dishes up interesting confrontations - racing incident that cost the chick a shot at the championship...

Tags
atlantic championship