Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jan 2013, 13:15 (Ref:3186401)   #1
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marko on Webber

Helmut Marko has been saying some very interesting things about Mark Webber lately.

He's said that he's clearly a number 2 now following Vettel's three titles, has accused him of not helping Vettel in Brazil they way Massa did for Alonso and has said that he is affected by pressure when he's in a title fight.

He's also openly been courting Hulkenberg to replace him in 2014 rather than Ricciardo or JEV.

I agree with a lot of what he says, particularly Mark succumbing to pressure. But it seems idiotic to lambast one of your contracted drivers before the season has started. Especially as there doesn't seem to be a better option on the market at the moment. Has there been a monumental falling out in the Red Bull camp?
Old 8 Jan 2013, 13:18 (Ref:3186404)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's always been pretty obvious who Marko supports at RB.....
Old 8 Jan 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3186409)   #3
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's quite obvious Mark is a number 2. Not good enough to go for a title.

Nico for 2014 would be interesting...I'd expect him to give Seb a far harder time than Mark does over the course of an entire season...
Old 8 Jan 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3186421)   #4
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Helmut Marko is pretty much on the ball with what he's said... but boy oh boy it's just not the kind of thing that somebody of his seniority in Red Bull should be coming out with in public.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3186425)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The obvious way of looking at it, is that if Webber was #1 at RedBull with AN Other in the second car, would he have won the last three world championships.

My opinion is No, I doubt he would have won one, never mind three.

As such it's probably fair to say that he is the best #2 out there at the moment and arguably has been for the last few seasons (Button and Hamilton vying for #1 so no clear #2 at McLaren).

Now that Hamilton and Button are in different teams, it'll be interesting to see what happens with each of "Senior" teams having distinct #1 and #2 drivers, who it the best #2.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 14:40 (Ref:3186429)   #6
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I hate to say it, but i think Marko is probably spot on there...
Old 8 Jan 2013, 16:10 (Ref:3186448)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I don't understand what purpose this serves, apart from reminding Mark that he is the number 2 driver...
Old 8 Jan 2013, 16:18 (Ref:3186453)   #8
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Nico for 2014 would be interesting...I'd expect him to give Seb a far harder time than Mark
Lack of talent might prove to be an obstacle, though....

Team orders might also play some part in events.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 16:49 (Ref:3186459)   #9
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
My memory may be fading, but in the Brazilian race I seem to remember Webber pulling out of Vettel's way, and then Webber's race engineer came on the radio and said "thank you Mark".

Webber overtook Vettel on the run down to the 1st corner at the start - but the first corner of the first lap is hardly a place where you can start slowing down and messing about trying to get out your team-mates way.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 17:33 (Ref:3186474)   #10
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It's always been pretty obvious who Marko supports at RB.....
true, plus the rest of RB it seems to me.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 18:06 (Ref:3186490)   #11
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
steve_r: Mark did mess up the restart after the Safety Car period by trying to overtake Vettel. While starts might not be the best time to slow down for the teammate, restarts could be perfect opportunities to protect the contending teammate. Iirc the (botched) overtake-attempt by Mark was the reason VET fell behind KOB.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 18:26 (Ref:3186502)   #12
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless the name is Vettel it is unlikely that Dr Marko will give you his support.
If he is right, why employ Mark and then shoot him down?
Its time Marko stepped aside, his role is no longer being fulfilled.
Red Bull would be better off without him.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3186506)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thinking back to 2010 i thought the reason MW's title challenge collapsed was because of his (self inflicted) shoulder injury and not an inability to deal with the pressure. although, i suppose the injury could have been blown out of proportion hence why MW kept it to himself.

not the biggest MW fan and do think he is number 2 but he seems like the last guy whose mental toughness you would question.

and yeah also weird that this was an interview in a RB promotional magazine...this story will linger and fester all year.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3186509)   #14
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Red flag to a bull? (no pun intended)

Marko doesn't need to spout this garbage, all it does is motivate Webber to prove Marko wrong.

Vettel is clearly no.1 at RBR so why does he feel the need to come out and say what we all know?

Idiot.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3186526)   #15
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now PLEASE we are marketing a fizzy drink to people who want a high!
Let's use our available tallent for best effect in the target market!
Glamourous young man v Gritty, grouchy old master. Young guy comes out on top! Perfect.
Only thing I don't get is why they don't play it up further with a series of suitably scripted TV commercials.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 20:02 (Ref:3186541)   #16
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I hope we once again hear the winning driver's radio carry the message "Not bad for a number two driver".Could be just the way to motivate him.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 20:28 (Ref:3186551)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I saw a photo of Webber water-skiing last year and his right leg didn't look right to to me.

Since the end of the season he has had an operation on that leg, the very last one, and he will be 100% this year.

As for Marko he is a kind of mad doctor such as you see in movies and I wish he didn't have so much influence in RBR.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3186563)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I saw a photo of Webber water-skiing last year and his right leg didn't look right to to me.

Since the end of the season he has had an operation on that leg, the very last one, and he will be 100% this year.

As for Marko he is a kind of mad doctor such as you see in movies and I wish he didn't have so much influence in RBR.
Who would have ever thought 40 years ago he would wield so much influence?

Webber is a great #2 driver. The only way he will ever be WDC is if the stars align at the right time. If he fails to stay competitive this year then probably this will be it for him.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 23:07 (Ref:3186609)   #19
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like Vettel, but Marko does my head in. What does he actually do? This is not a rhetorical question; I'm just curious.

Can we have a link to the comments about Mark, please? I only see this: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105018

I get the impression Marko likes attempting (arguably unsuccessfully) to wind Mark up. My being annoyed with him is probably like getting annoyed with Michael O'Leary of Ryanair: he likes it.

When you listen to Christian Horner, he sounds happier over the radio when Seb wins, but this is just what I hear. There may be nothing in it at all.

Last edited by Born Racer; 8 Jan 2013 at 23:25.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 23:58 (Ref:3186631)   #20
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Who would have ever thought 40 years ago he would wield so much influence?

Webber is a great #2 driver. The only way he will ever be WDC is if the stars align at the right time. If he fails to stay competitive this year then probably this will be it for him.
The stars aligned for him in 2010...helped by every other contender tripping over themselves & each other...& yet he still ran out of talent at the last hurdle!

Just ask Bernd Schneider about that day at Laguna Seca in the CLK..

Most of us downunder still wonder why the F1 world thinks he's championship material. All he succeeded in doing here is taking the Yellow Pages money from Formula Ford Australia to fund his rides in the UK....helped by his partner who ran FFA at the time.

Marko is on the mark...literally!

Old 9 Jan 2013, 01:11 (Ref:3186650)   #21
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The obvious way of looking at it, is that if Webber was #1 at RedBull with AN Other in the second car, would he have won the last three world championships.

My opinion is No, I doubt he would have won one, never mind three.

As such it's probably fair to say that he is the best #2 out there at the moment and arguably has been for the last few seasons (Button and Hamilton vying for #1 so no clear #2 at McLaren).

Now that Hamilton and Button are in different teams, it'll be interesting to see what happens with each of "Senior" teams having distinct #1 and #2 drivers, who it the best #2.
I think your being a bit harsh there. Apart from probably Vettel, Hamilton & Alonso, I think Webber would be more than a match the other drivers on the grid. So yes he probably would have won at the very least the 2010 title, maybe even 2011, But it didn't happen that way and he's got to beat Vettel before anyone
Old 9 Jan 2013, 01:49 (Ref:3186658)   #22
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's not one member of this site who dislikes Webber more than me, but this **** Marko comes up with every now and again ***** me to tears. To whinge about him that much, couldn't it be easier just to **** him off?

Also, for such an image conscious team, does this kind of talk really have a positive impact on them? The whole team come across as a pack of spanners. Indirectly even Vettel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
thinking back to 2010 i thought the reason MW's title challenge collapsed was because of his (self inflicted) shoulder injury and not an inability to deal with the pressure. although, i suppose the injury could have been blown out of proportion hence why MW kept it to himself.
You don't think crashing into the wall in Korea, when the other title contenders didn't, was a sign of cracking?

You don't think qualifying 5th in Abu Dhabi, in the second fastest racing car ever built, when he'd been easily qualifying on the front row the whole year, was a sign of cracking?
Old 9 Jan 2013, 02:36 (Ref:3186669)   #23
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
You don't think crashing into the wall in Korea, when the other title contenders didn't, was a sign of cracking?
This would be the same as Alonso and Vettel both crashing at Spa yeah?
Old 9 Jan 2013, 04:05 (Ref:3186688)   #24
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
This would be the same as Alonso and Vettel both crashing at Spa yeah?
No, nothing like it. Vettel crashed because he had nfi how good he was i.e. not that good. He was also an outside bet for the title. Hamilton and Webber were slightly breaking away from the rest.

Alonso crashed through complacency/negligence. Also, he was so far behind the others in the title that people were ready to put him in the nut house after saying he could still win the title. At this point in time, Spa was stll a little way off before it got really hot, as far as the title was concerned. Korea, third last race of the year, we were well and truly in the fire.

Webber on the other hand, had a clear lead in the title, and the best car in the field. He was in a position where he could've built a one race lead. Considering how the race turned out, he could've eliminated Vettel from any serious hope of winning the title, even accounting for whatever bias the team/Marko has against him. He could've made it almost impossible for Alonso, despite Alonso's spirit. It was all there in front of him to take, but he dropped it. Mr Lolo Jones.
Old 9 Jan 2013, 04:17 (Ref:3186690)   #25
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Helmut Marko:

Winner 1971 Le Mans 24hr - setting overall distance record that stood until 2010
Driving the fearsome Porsche 917K

All time race/lap record holder for the Targa Florio set in the Alfa Romeo 333

He's not just a pen pushing salesman, unlike Mr RB himself!
He knows his stuff....& his opinion shows it.