Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Jun 2002, 13:39 (Ref:315421)   #1
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cosworth ATLANTICS & Toyota Atlantics!!

What a move! 2002 is basically down to one chassis anyway. The series has always been about the drivers anyway and now even more focus will be on them. Turbos exclusively, take that TG! Ok, there is that May 500 farce, but it's only a few weeks and forgotten...who came 3rd, 4th or 5th?
This new direction will hopefully now put TG's political power out of the picture. CART just needs to stick with it and build it up.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 15:54 (Ref:315475)   #2
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope this will be viewed as a positive step to strenghten CART, and not a tactic against IRL. This should be about promoting openwheel road racing and not just launching a salvo on the "enemy".

I also hope that several chassis' will contend. A totally one chassis/one powerplant series will be less interesting. That's my biggest complaint about the IRL, the lack of diversity among the cars.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 19:19 (Ref:315620)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The fact that the turbos are staying is a good thing. One engine and one chassis? That will change given time. The series has survived that storm before. What's important is that CART keep it's best venues, it's best teams (Ganassi/Green) and it's best drivers. And keep Fontana, or at least replace it with another superspeedway. (Or two).
Old 17 Jun 2002, 22:45 (Ref:315750)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Y'know, I'm just gonna say three words, and I hope I'm proven wrong. But here goes...

Hail Mary pass
Old 18 Jun 2002, 14:18 (Ref:316128)   #5
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Hail Mary pass
You may be right, Lee, but from everything I know about Pook, he takes risks, but very calculated risks.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 00:49 (Ref:316610)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think so. I personally think it is a good move. At first I was worried about only having one engine and losing out on the possibility of having more (ie. MG, Ilmor, Toyota). However, what was going to prevent MG from going to the IRL anyway. As far as I see it, I believe this formula will stabilise the category for a couple of years and reduce costs. After which, the category can expand. And if it's cheaper for teams to enter, this can only lead to more teams, which inevitably means the category will stay viable.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 05:14 (Ref:316674)   #7
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Macdaddy's post:
"What's important is that CART keep it's best venues, it's best teams (Ganassi/Green) and it's best drivers."

I was lucky enough to get 5 minutes with Chip Ganassi at Laguna Seca. His response "I'll have cars in both CART and the IRL next year. Any law against that?"

Last edited by Flatspot; 19 Jun 2002 at 05:19.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 07:23 (Ref:316718)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Give him a few more years, and ole Chip will have cars in F1, CART, IRL, NASCAR, ALMS, NHRA, Touring, Rally, Pike's Peak, and the salt flats.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 10:20 (Ref:316811)   #9
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's a great move. We finally threw the olive branch, and cared for ourselves