Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jul 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1361680)   #1
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Moving on from Minardi?

I know that people have gone on to great things after their respective tenure with Minardi, namley Alonso, Webber and to a degree Wilson impressed in it before dissapointing at Jaguar. But take Albers, Doornbos and friesacher etc. Can u honestly see them jumping into a red-bull or a sauber and then going on to take titles? I cant. But is this now to do with the fact that Paul Stodart is selcting drivers on the size of their bank balance more than the skill they have. Not Paul bashing in the slightest just a question

Your Thoughts?
Old 23 Jul 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1361696)   #2
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi can only really survive with the backing sourced via pay drivers. It's nice when they can discover talent, but money is more important.

I have to say though, the drivers they have this year are much better than those they had last year. Albers was a winner (i'm 99% sure) in DTM, and Doornbos took a victory in F3000. Baumgartner was dreadful in his seasons of F3000 and got a drive for purely financial reasons.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1361702)   #3
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
With Montoya's car Albers would be on pole...
Old 23 Jul 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1361704)   #4
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC both Alonso and Webber had mangement contracts with Flav - I guess that has something to do with their moving onwards to much better things. Also Alonso/Webber had team-mates who were very much less talented than they were (Marques/Yoong) which does wonders for a driver's reputation - e.g. if Wilson had been teamed up with Yoong and trounced him by as much as Webber did in very race I suspect Justin would still be in F1 now...
Old 23 Jul 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1361710)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Albers : German F3 champion (1999), 2nd in DTM championship (2003), 3rd in DTM championship (2004)
Doornbos : 3rd in F3000 (2004)
So I don't would call them 100% pay drivers, they can drive.

Didn't bring Alonso a lott of Spanish Telefonica peseta's to Minardi?
Old 23 Jul 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1361712)   #6
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo
Im not saying your wrong here im genuinly curious as to how you worked that out, and believe me i know it sounds like im bein funny but i am curious. I mean he was 1.5 seconds slower than Barrichello who was on the same tyres in a struggling ferrari and his(Albers) lap wasn't out of this world.

And in regards to the Telfonica deal. I was under the impression it was Gene who brought that sponsorship before Alonso was on the scene. I could be wrong

Your thoughts?
Old 23 Jul 2005, 22:45 (Ref:1361729)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden
I mean he was 1.5 seconds slower than Barrichello who was on the same tyres in a struggling ferrari.

Your thoughts?

Yes. A bloody excellent lap.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 22:52 (Ref:1361731)   #8
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE

Nope. They jumped on later. Alonso brought sponsorship, but no more than de la Rosa was dragging around either.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 22:54 (Ref:1361733)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Yep, another of those dreaded paydrivers
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Jul 2005, 02:27 (Ref:1361755)   #10
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo
And with your bias Im sure they could even win in a third car! Wait, that doesnt make sense, hrmm, perhaps look at your bias a bit.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 06:24 (Ref:1361840)   #11
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Nope. They jumped on later. Alonso brought sponsorship, but no more than de la Rosa was dragging around either.
Alonso brought LeasePlan with him. The company is still sponsoring him.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1361961)   #12
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Well can you see them moving on. In terms of there overall performance thus far could you see any of the teams making a move for them.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1361972)   #13
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden
And in regards to the Telfonica deal. I was under the impression it was Gene who brought that sponsorship before Alonso was on the scene. I could be wrong
Yes it was Gene. The cars were in Telefonica colours in 2000 which was his 2nd season with Minardi.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1362090)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Considering how late Doornbos started racing, he has every potential to move up if he can start outpacing Albers. His CV is the most impressive of any of this year's rookies once you take it in context.