Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 31 May 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1624067)   #1
Don Herridge
Rookie

Don Herridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralt RT 34 Chassis No 852

I recently bought the above F3 car from Coging Motorsport. All I know about it is that it's 1990 and has a VW Judd engine in it.

Can anyone help me with its history? I'd love to know who originally drove it, which team it was part of, etc.

The old bodywork is in Camel colours but I can't find any other tie-up to Camel.

Thanks.

Don Herridge
Old 1 Jun 2006, 07:53 (Ref:1624372)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don, welcome to 10-Tenths. As we have a very active group of chassis archivists, I am very hopeful that you will get some info. from one or more of them, sooner or later!
Old 1 Jun 2006, 08:36 (Ref:1624398)   #3
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Herridge
I recently bought the above F3 car from Coging Motorsport. All I know about it is that it's 1990 and has a VW Judd engine in it.

Can anyone help me with its history? I'd love to know who originally drove it, which team it was part of, etc.

The old bodywork is in Camel colours but I can't find any other tie-up to Camel.

Thanks.

Don Herridge

What do you intend doing with it?
Old 1 Jun 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1624652)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Blimey, that's a goodun!

(Thinking out loud) 1990 RT34 in Camel colours... was there anyone in Brit F3 with Camel money that year??

PSR had Camel sponsorship 1988-90 but originally ran Reynards, hmmm, they may have bought Ralt's for 1990, yes i'm sure they did, in which case either Derek Higgins or Paul Stewart might have driven it?

That's assuming it ran over here though, it could be a German or Italian runner as the odd Ralt was bought by Italian outfits to tackle the hordes of Dallara's before F3 became one make. I think Laurent Aiello might have one the 1990 French series with an Bowman run Ralt, but it might have been an updated RT33?

Doubt the Judd engine was in it originally?

Anyway few thoughts to get you going!!

Last edited by chunterer; 1 Jun 2006 at 15:15.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 15:49 (Ref:1624696)   #5
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out this site for all things related to F3 chassis manufacturers:

http://www.f3history.co.uk/

There are no individual chassis/ driver details but the RT34 drivers for 1990 (in all championships) are quoted as:

Gary Ayles, Thorbjörn Carlsson, Eric Cheli, Bernard Dolan, Christian Fittipaldi, Mitsuo Fujimura, Yoshimichi Fujinaga, Ken'ichirou Fujinuma, Hideo Fukuyama, Naohiro Furuya, Kanemitsu Gondou, Markus Gutjahr, Hideaki Hagiwara, Osamu Hagiwara, Mika Hakkinen, Yukihiro Hane, Eric Helary, Pekka Herva, Marc Hessel, Derek Higgins, Jun'ichi Ikura, Akira Ishikawa, Naozumi Itou, Thomas Johansson, Masami Kageyama, Syunji Kasuya, Mitsutake Koma, Masahiko Kondou, Takuya Kurosawa, Ellen Lohr, Shin'ya Maeda, Jonathan McGall, Shigeki Matsui, Kiyoshi Misaki, Fuminori Mizuno, Kenji Moriya, Yvan Muller, Eiki Muramatsu, Takamasa Nakagawa, Sadafumi Nakajima, Ryuuichi Natsukawa, Masayoshi Nishigaito, Hiromi Nishizawa, Hideki Noda, Akinori Okada, Yukio Okamoto, Niko Palhares, Otto Rensing, Victor Rosso, Rickard Rydell, Mika Salo, Susumu Shinoduka, Hans Simonsson, Paul Stewart, Kinji Suzuki, Yoshiyasu Tachi, Eiichi Tajima, Youji Takahashi, Kazuaki Takamura, Minoru Tanaka, Tetsuya Tanaka, Tetsufumi Toda, Paul Warwick, Marco Werner, Hisashi Wada, Julian Westwood, Hisashi Yokoshima, Jo Zeller.

Derek Higgins and Paul Stewart are both in this list.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1624703)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Only a couple went to Japan then?
Old 1 Jun 2006, 15:55 (Ref:1624705)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

And what series did Rydell drive his in??!! Thought he was in British 3000 that year?
Old 1 Jun 2006, 15:55 (Ref:1624706)   #8
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macau?
Old 1 Jun 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1624708)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Ah yes John, that would be the logical one (precicely why I didn't think of it!!)
Old 2 Jun 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1625219)   #10
Don Herridge
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
What do you intend doing with it?
I'm going to do more testing this year (have been to Mallory once so far) and just enjoy the car. I'm too busy restoring other cars at the moment to race it but who knows in the future?
Old 2 Jun 2006, 08:29 (Ref:1625223)   #11
Don Herridge
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
Check out this site for all things related to F3 chassis manufacturers:

http://www.f3history.co.uk/

There are no individual chassis/ driver details but the RT34 drivers for 1990 (in all championships) are quoted as:

Gary Ayles, Thorbjörn Carlsson, Eric Cheli, Bernard Dolan, Christian Fittipaldi, Mitsuo Fujimura, Yoshimichi Fujinaga, Ken'ichirou Fujinuma, Hideo Fukuyama, Naohiro Furuya, Kanemitsu Gondou, Markus Gutjahr, Hideaki Hagiwara, Osamu Hagiwara, Mika Hakkinen, Yukihiro Hane, Eric Helary, Pekka Herva, Marc Hessel, Derek Higgins, Jun'ichi Ikura, Akira Ishikawa, Naozumi Itou, Thomas Johansson, Masami Kageyama, Syunji Kasuya, Mitsutake Koma, Masahiko Kondou, Takuya Kurosawa, Ellen Lohr, Shin'ya Maeda, Jonathan McGall, Shigeki Matsui, Kiyoshi Misaki, Fuminori Mizuno, Kenji Moriya, Yvan Muller, Eiki Muramatsu, Takamasa Nakagawa, Sadafumi Nakajima, Ryuuichi Natsukawa, Masayoshi Nishigaito, Hiromi Nishizawa, Hideki Noda, Akinori Okada, Yukio Okamoto, Niko Palhares, Otto Rensing, Victor Rosso, Rickard Rydell, Mika Salo, Susumu Shinoduka, Hans Simonsson, Paul Stewart, Kinji Suzuki, Yoshiyasu Tachi, Eiichi Tajima, Youji Takahashi, Kazuaki Takamura, Minoru Tanaka, Tetsuya Tanaka, Tetsufumi Toda, Paul Warwick, Marco Werner, Hisashi Wada, Julian Westwood, Hisashi Yokoshima, Jo Zeller.

Derek Higgins and Paul Stewart are both in this list.
Thanks, Andy. I've checked most of those names and got the 1990 British F3season video (which only seems to cover the top ten runners). There are no RT34's, with VW engines, in the video, only RT33's.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1625228)   #12
Don Herridge
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Blimey, that's a goodun!

(Thinking out loud) 1990 RT34 in Camel colours... was there anyone in Brit F3 with Camel money that year??

PSR had Camel sponsorship 1988-90 but originally ran Reynards, hmmm, they may have bought Ralt's for 1990, yes i'm sure they did, in which case either Derek Higgins or Paul Stewart might have driven it?

That's assuming it ran over here though, it could be a German or Italian runner as the odd Ralt was bought by Italian outfits to tackle the hordes of Dallara's before F3 became one make. I think Laurent Aiello might have one the 1990 French series with an Bowman run Ralt, but it might have been an updated RT33?

Doubt the Judd engine was in it originally?

Anyway few thoughts to get you going!!
Hi Chunterer, I would have thought it's unlikely that someone would take a Mugen engine out and replace it with a VW-Judd. I've sent the engine number to Judd and am waiting to see if they can help. The Camel bodywork has the cutaways to take the VW engine and not the Mugen. Rgds. Don
Old 2 Jun 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1625256)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Herridge
Hi Chunterer, I would have thought it's unlikely that someone would take a Mugen engine out and replace it with a VW-Judd. I've sent the engine number to Judd and am waiting to see if they can help. The Camel bodywork has the cutaways to take the VW engine and not the Mugen. Rgds. Don
Yeah, interesting Don.

IIRC the front running Veedub engines of the day were Spiess tuned units (certainly late 80's and early 90's), not Judd's? but I would imagine both of VW units would be installed similarly so it's possible that the a Spiess could've been replace with a Judd after it's front line competitive life?
Old 2 Jun 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1625259)   #14
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think you;ll find if its VW and Camel car it one of the ex-French series cars...
Old 2 Jun 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1625578)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

That's a good bit of trivia!!

Can't think who ran in 1990 with Camel money in France?

AFAIR the fag money going around in the French series was either red and white or blue in the main.

There were, definitely Camel backed runners in Italy (Prema) and possibly Germany (Wintershall) though?
Old 28 Jun 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1643675)   #16
Don Herridge
Rookie

Hi All

I've since found further information on my Ralt so would be glad if anyone can add more.

In 1991, Fred Goddard Racing ran it and Pekke Herva drove the car. This explains the yellow paintwork, although the engine must have been changed because it used to run a Mugen. Fred Goddard bought it from Swallow Racing but I can't find any information or contact details for Swallow.

I'll be very grateful if anyone can add more to that.

Don
Old 29 Jun 2006, 07:39 (Ref:1643930)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Swallow was run by Tim Stakes and were based in Loughborugh or Ashley De La Zouch I think?

Swallow would've run either McGall or Westwood in that car in '90. But it wouldn't have been yellow during the BF3 seaso - the yellow cars were PSR's.

McGall's livery was predominantly white with dark blue nose cone 'point' and sidepods and Westwood's was in the Datamatic white and orange colour scheme he always ran IIRC.

I'll bet it was painted up in that yellow livery for Macau or something before Goddard bought it to run Herva?
Old 30 Jun 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1645078)   #18
Don Herridge
Rookie

Thanks, Chunterer: very useful information. I do have a blue front wing which does seem to have traces of white paint from chipped edges which goes along with what you say.

I'd like to find out which of the 2 drivers it was and then look out for a Mugen engine even though the VW engine runs a treat!

Hoping to practice again at Mallory on Wednesday.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1645133)   #19
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Stephen Watson raced that car in Class B F3 for Fred Goddard. He called it the "pizza car" as it was yellow with loads of sponsor stickers on it. A friend of mine sponsored him in the last few races of the 92 championship (I think!) Why not give Fred a call and ask him - he's a friendly guy!
Old 4 Jul 2006, 03:20 (Ref:1647697)   #20
jebracing
Rookie

United States
USA
jebracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rt34

Here is a page with a large number of pictures of your car:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smtfhw/sets/1713562/

JB
RT33
Old 7 Jul 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1650152)   #21
Don Herridge
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan
I think Stephen Watson raced that car in Class B F3 for Fred Goddard. He called it the "pizza car" as it was yellow with loads of sponsor stickers on it. A friend of mine sponsored him in the last few races of the 92 championship (I think!) Why not give Fred a call and ask him - he's a friendly guy!
Thanks Fan. I've spoken to Fred who tells me Pekke Harva drove the car.

Rgds, Don
Old 7 Jul 2006, 10:11 (Ref:1650154)   #22
Don Herridge
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebracing
Here is a page with a large number of pictures of your car:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smtfhw/sets/1713562/

JB
RT33
Thanks, JB.

I was really impressed at how many pictures there are of the car: shame I don't have a Mugen engine anymore!

Rgds. Don
Old 29 Jul 2007, 14:02 (Ref:1975785)   #23
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Don
Have you rebuilt the car or run it again since last year?

You can race the car in Club F3 evets and Formula Free and lydden semsec races
Old 15 Aug 2007, 15:27 (Ref:1989617)   #24
Don Herridge
Rookie

Hi

The car has been run a few times and is in perfect condition: didn't need a rebuild.

I might put it back into original Amanda Runicle colours over the winter and posibly run the car next year.

Perhaps you can e-mail me details?

Rgds.

Don
Old 15 Aug 2007, 18:26 (Ref:1989736)   #25
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Did Amanda run it first?
why not put it into either 91 colours or pekka herve colours
come to mallory on sunday F Free race 23 cars entered