Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Nov 2018, 10:21 (Ref:3861321)   #2176
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
And of course you could buy your "bullet hole" windscreen stickers, not to mention the tyre marker pen.
Weren't "bullet hole" windscreen stickers a give-away at petrol stations, possibly Regent? Have vague memories of it being connected with one of the Bond films.
Old 6 Nov 2018, 10:26 (Ref:3861323)   #2177
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Originally but they became a "must have" later, together with checkered sticky tape.

And coincidentally: https://www.facebook.com/CustomCarMagazine/
Old 6 Nov 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3861325)   #2178
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Dave Vizard was connected with Triple C - Car and Car Conversions - though he could have written for both mags. I thought CCC was around a bit before Custom Car mag.

For a time (for me) CCC ranked up there with Autosport and Motoring News all bought to read on the train to work in Leeds. Happy days as someone on here says.
Old 6 Nov 2018, 10:30 (Ref:3861326)   #2179
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think he wrote for both, but I never bought C&CC only CC.
Old 6 Nov 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3861327)   #2180
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally but they became a "must have" later, together with checkered sticky tape.

And coincidentally: https://www.facebook.com/CustomCarMagazine/

...and don't forget the 'Moon Eyes'.
Old 6 Nov 2018, 10:39 (Ref:3861329)   #2181
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Who could forget the "moon eyes"?
Old 6 Nov 2018, 10:56 (Ref:3861332)   #2182
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
My goodness, we’re showing our respective ages today!

Triple C was always a must read for me.......
Old 6 Nov 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3861333)   #2183
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

At least we've still got our memories!!!
Old 6 Nov 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3861337)   #2184
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It was a brilliant mag for those of us of a certain age. I remember the articles on Rees Fish carburetors (whatever happened to those?) and David Vizard and the A series engine mods (he eventually published a book). Great for those who ran Minis. Of course the Anglia was also well catered for with the 1500 lump improvements and the Classic struts. They never really covered anything for the rear end though. Nowadays there must be a conversion kit somewhere for uprights.

All a bit innocent when compared with the stuff happening in the USA at the time though.

Edit: Reece-Fish
Peter, I think you're mixing Custom Car mag up with Cars & Car Conversions here, they had the more technical articles. Custom Car was more custom painted Humber Hawks with Ford sumps welded to the bonnet to make a power bulge! (And of course the lovely Nicola topless pictures!)
Old 6 Nov 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3861338)   #2185
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

We're obviously all of the same generation. Initially I bought Hot Car Magazine (which was an offshoot of Car Mechanics), then when I became more serious about it, CCC, plus, after ogling the pictures in my school friend's magazine, Custom Car mag as well!
Old 6 Nov 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3861339)   #2186
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Peter, I think you're mixing Custom Car mag up with Cars & Car Conversions here, they had the more technical articles. Custom Car was more custom painted Humber Hawks with Ford sumps welded to the bonnet to make a power bulge! (And of course the lovely Nicola topless pictures!)

Nope I used to read past the lovely Nicola pics. Eventually...................
Old 6 Nov 2018, 12:39 (Ref:3861347)   #2187
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
So, according to the Beeb we all need to think about stock-piling food in case brexit goes wrong.....

Dear-oh-dear....
Old 6 Nov 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3861350)   #2188
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I was a Triple C man as well - they (Andy Dawson mainly) used to do quite a bit about Imps which was what I was into at the time..., and it was more competition oriented, at a time when I was getting into rallying.

I have a sneaking suspicion there might still be a few boxes of old CCC mags lurking on a shelf in the garage....they must be nearing antique status now
Old 6 Nov 2018, 12:47 (Ref:3861351)   #2189
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
So, according to the Beeb we all need to think about stock-piling food in case brexit goes wrong.....

Dear-oh-dear....

Never quite understood this.....I can see that our ex-EU partners might wish to get obstructive about what we send to them, but why would we wish to be obstructive about stuff coming into the country if its stuff we want? I can't see that anyone would want to stop trying to sell us stuff we've been regularly buying........
Old 6 Nov 2018, 12:51 (Ref:3861353)   #2190
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's all to do with the number of lorries that have permits to drive on the continent, and of course the time it'll take to process all the paperwork at Dover.

We're not going to leave in any meaningful sense though. There's no political will.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 6 Nov 2018, 12:57 (Ref:3861354)   #2191
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

Dear-oh-dear....
Don't worry, I'll always send you a food parcel, Mike!

I shall be interested to see if my local supermarkets continue to have an English section after March.
Old 6 Nov 2018, 17:37 (Ref:3861400)   #2192
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Don't worry, I'll always send you a food parcel, Mike!

I shall be interested to see if my local supermarkets continue to have an English section after March.
Surprised if they haven’t closed it already....

So, next year we will not be smuggling immigrants, fags or drugs- just food!
Old 6 Nov 2018, 17:44 (Ref:3861401)   #2193
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

I'm just amazed at the products they stock, like Heinz Salad Cream & Sandwich Spread - does anybody still buy those anywhere?

Nosing around for a cheap & cheerful petrol-engined car on eBay, I spotted a nice-looking Alfa 147 in Gt Yarmouth. I was amused, looking through his other stock, to spot an MG Midget, "one family from new, two ladies with history...".

Well, it was in Gt Yarmouth!
Old 6 Nov 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3861403)   #2194
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

Speaking of smuggling, customs stopped a Brit in a van here the other day & found 22kg of cocaine in a secret compartment that could only be accessed with a remote control. He was a plumber from London but I guess he won't be fixing any drains for a while!
Old 6 Nov 2018, 18:36 (Ref:3861417)   #2195
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Speaking of smuggling, customs stopped a Brit in a van here the other day & found 22kg of cocaine in a secret compartment that could only be accessed with a remote control. He was a plumber from London but I guess he won't be fixing any drains for a while!
Obviously for personal use.....

Salad cream still has its fans, I think, but not sure about sandwich spread!

I’d keep clear of ‘2 ladies with history’ living on the East Coast.....
Old 6 Nov 2018, 18:51 (Ref:3861423)   #2196
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Especially if you are a midget.
Old 6 Nov 2018, 18:53 (Ref:3861427)   #2197
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Have vague memories of it being connected with one of the Bond films.
John, all the differences between "your" Bond and our reside here: yours drive an Aston Martin while ours drives a… Deux Chevaux Citroën!
As to bullet holes, last year at Calais back from Manchester, I was refueling when a van stopped near my car, east european registration trailing a RHD wreck. It showed bullet holes, but they were no fake
I didn't try to start any conversation with the guys and I know why! Still we need some plumbers here…
Old 6 Nov 2018, 20:46 (Ref:3861447)   #2198
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

I have a sneaking suspicion there might still be a few boxes of old CCC mags lurking on a shelf in the garage....they must be nearing antique status now
I still have some in the attic, some with pictures of me in somewhere

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 6 Nov 2018 at 20:53.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Nov 2018, 20:51 (Ref:3861450)   #2199
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Speaking of smuggling, customs stopped a Brit in a van here the other day & found 22kg of cocaine in a secret compartment that could only be accessed with a remote control.
What, a sledge hammer and crowbar failed ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Nov 2018, 21:01 (Ref:3861453)   #2200
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:

Dear-oh-dear....
Although our Mayor in Mojacar has said that the Brits should be OK I don't know how we will fare in Spain ? there might be some cheap places for sale next year
Closed Thread