Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Sep 2004, 17:53 (Ref:1088349)   #201
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The reason we drive round on public roads with our seat belts on is because we are more likely to survive an accident that way. We only have to be made to do it by law is because some people can't be trusted to be sensible with their own lives...
Obviously have never drivern around Peterborough then - a large number of people here ignore the law on this one totally - and don't even get me started on strapping in the children!!! Cannot believe that people can be so dumb on this one.

As for the thing about knocking the value off a real D-Type, I can see your point, but I would like to think people might think their lives are worth more than a couple of zeros.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 18:23 (Ref:1088365)   #202
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by SkyRedButton
As for the thing about knocking the value off a real D-Type, I can see your point, but I would like to think people might think their lives are worth more than a couple of zeros.
You wouldn't think that when it comes to spending a couple of hundred pounds on safety equipment... Isn't that what this thread comes down to really - the money?? If we could all easily afford to send our lids off to have HANS devices fitted, and have plumbed in electric extiguishers with carbon fibre cylinders, and helicopters flying above us just in case, don't you think we'd have them? Or does that go against the axiom "I can needlessly put my life in more danger, and its my own choice, so I will" ?
Old 6 Sep 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1088416)   #203
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well speaking as a father who lost his only son at just 18 while driving too fast on the highway who's attitude was probably the same, "Its my life" attitude but is it just their life? He was our son, his sister's brother his aunt and uncles nephew, his friends mate his girlfriends partner amd everyone of us was devastated by his loss, so I think it is a selfish attitude to just say "It's my life and it's up to me" sorry.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 21:48 (Ref:1088536)   #204
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry to hear of your sad loss. I hope my son never puts me through that. Lets hope that the modern F1 attitude of "safety first" is a roll model for all young petrol heads.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 21:58 (Ref:1088546)   #205
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
We can but hope and as a life long motor racing fan I inevitably blamed myself in some way as I was his hero and he always came with me to all my races. I have not raced since it happened in 97 but I am seriously thinking of coming out again next season but it is very tough and to tell the truth and for the sake of my two girls and wife I will probably invest in the Hans device and I drive big old yank tanks with a ot of metal around them.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 22:34 (Ref:1088587)   #206
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Don't envy you the decision. I have wife and two kids, and before going racing I chose to put safety before cost and competitiveness. In practice it means that I have a very heavy full roll cage in 2" cds tube, a full plumbed in fire extinguisher system, a proper race seat and a good quality five point race harness. It allows me to enjoy my racing without worrying about what might happen in an accident. I'll be replacing my helmet later this season and will probably have a hans device fitted. I can highly recommend this approach for peace of mind.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 08:57 (Ref:1088833)   #207
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry about your loss Al, but you can't blame yourself, you are better off on the track servicing your requirement for a buzz,

I'll put anoter spin on this, I was fortunate enough to start racing single seaters when I was 18, I had a job & skils to allow this ( daddy was'nt paying! )Prior to starting racing I drove like an idiot on the road taking unreasonable risks & crashing cars with even passengers aboard. Once I was racing i could get my fix on the race track, i did'nt have to drive like an idiot on the road to try & prove anything.
What I'm trying to say is that i believe we are better off keeping motorsport as accesable as posible, that means not having to splash out on £800-900 on flash helmet & HANS, we are better off 90% safe on the track rather than in my case probably killing myself on the road cause i could'nt afford all the extra safety equipment to go racing which i would probably never need.
This is just my case & my opinion
Old 7 Sep 2004, 09:35 (Ref:1088850)   #208
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al, you have my sympathies...no one should lose a child. Ian has a valid point, my two boys have been around racing all their lives. They have never shown any particular interest in racing themselves, but have both driven on race tracks, which I think has made them aware of how hard it is and the dangers involved. As a parent we feel responsible for all of our childrens actions, sadly we have little ability to influence them.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 09:40 (Ref:1088854)   #209
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I do agree with you as it happens and was planning to put my so behind the wheel the following season but that is sods law I guess. I remeber as a young man being a bit agressive in a testrozone loaded sort of way, gettig in to a few scaps etc. then I took up Rugby and it did ma a whole lot of good as I was far more laid back in my everyday life and worked my aggression out on the rugby field.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 12:26 (Ref:1088962)   #210
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by dtype38
...........I have wife and two kids, and before going racing I chose to put safety before cost and competitiveness. ...........I'll be replacing my helmet later this season and will probably have a hans device fitted. I can highly recommend this approach for peace of mind.
You don't need to go to the expense as I have it on very good authority that you are very well insured and a nice male au pair could replace you and the money saved on beer and Bacardi will pay the school fees.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 21:20 (Ref:1089433)   #211
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SkyRedButton
Obviously have never drivern around Peterborough then - a large number of people here ignore the law on this one totally - and don't even get me started on strapping in the children!!! Cannot believe that people can be so dumb on this one.
I've spoken with the constbulary on many occaisions about them in Petersburger. They go through more tickets up there than anywhere else in the county. Talking to one traffic officer he recalled pulling a dipstick doing 80+ about 3ft from the rear of another car along the Perkins Parkway. The bloke was more interested in reeling off the registration numbers of the two cars he was "pushing". The officer said he wasn't worried about them, they were not the ones driving like complete d. heads.

Any road up, that's off topic.

There have been a lot of improvements in the area of safety, from little things like wider webbing on the belts, through improvements in seat design. While lots of these things don't look period, those who choose to run in that sort of car should be allowed to do it if they so wish. Though I suppose there could be the argument that euthenasia is still illegal in the UK.

Rob.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 21:37 (Ref:1089448)   #212
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well there is a theory been put forward that if all saftey equipment in road cars was removed and replaced with a 12" spike fixed to the steering wheel boss then drivers would certainly drive a lot more sensibly, can't see it catching on though.

Tags
hans