Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Sep 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1702252)   #26
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
..and he said that wasn't bad
Old 5 Sep 2006, 11:52 (Ref:1702260)   #27
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
..and he said that wasn't bad
It just needs a bigger buffer.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1702294)   #28
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I very much doubt the financial impact of both crash repair bills on neweys bank account will hardly register - Red Bull are aparrently paying him 10 million per year - even McLaren bottled out when it came to that sort of money!.......

[QUOTE=GeeRam]

Not as bad as the LeMans prang.....but what with the significant damage to the GT40 and now the pranged Lwt E.....his bank balance will be a bit lighter with the repair bills.......
Old 5 Sep 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1702303)   #29
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The E-Type accident started right in front of me so I can throw a little more light on it. Adrian was on the inside of a nearly-flat left-hand kink alongside two other cars. The Jaguar's tail started to wash out and Adrian was too close to the inside kerb on the apex to catch it. The front left "bit" and the car speared forward onto the inside run-off. At that point it went out of my field of view and must have spun, going in backwards at an oblique angle.

Glad he's okay. That's the important thing. But it's going to take a lot of work to put that car back together again.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1702352)   #30
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think they'll be many people willing to put him in an antique (old? legendary?? Jaguar??) car anymore... Glad to see he is unhurt though.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 5 Sep 2006, 14:26 (Ref:1702380)   #31
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
glad it was not a serious off, but it awesome that he is a racer at heart. must be the red bull, it gives you wings

on a side note, who was the last F1/engineer ? was it Jack Brabham? has there even been another?
Old 5 Sep 2006, 14:31 (Ref:1702385)   #32
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike Parkes?
Old 5 Sep 2006, 14:34 (Ref:1702388)   #33
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I guess Bruce McLaren was another, but Mike Parkes must have been more recent.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1702412)   #34
GeeRam
Racer

England
London, UK.
GeeRam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I don't think they'll be many people willing to put him in an antique (old? legendary?? Jaguar??) car anymore... Glad to see he is unhurt though.
Err.....the only person putting Newey in them is himself.........the Lwt. E-Type and the GT40 are his own cars.......

With both out of action, has he got anything else in the Newey garage to have a go at bending.........
Old 5 Sep 2006, 15:19 (Ref:1702418)   #35
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After 2 big accidents, I do think somebody is trying to tell him something. Be careful Mr Newey.
I was one of the marshals at the post where Dario came off. It was a very big accident and his car was a lot more damaged. He did walk to the recovery vehicle, with assistance. I hope he's fully recovered now.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1702549)   #36
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Dario is having to miss this weekend's IRL race because he had concussion at Goodwood.

Whereabouts did he go off?
Old 5 Sep 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1702587)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Goodwood I think.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1702589)   #38
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, lay off Adrian. He enjoys racing for himself and I'm sure he'll do it again.

He works hard and plays hard it seems. The ultimate Red Bull corporate persona then.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 19:47 (Ref:1702689)   #39
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Goodwood I think.
Yeah, he was all over the place!
Old 5 Sep 2006, 21:42 (Ref:1702783)   #40
GeeRam
Racer

England
London, UK.
GeeRam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
He enjoys racing for himself and I'm sure he'll do it again.
Yeah, absolutely, the guy has my respect most definately, I hope he does continue to race his historic collection.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1702825)   #41
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Being a tad more specific than Peter was:

Adrian Newey's accident was at the kink on Lavant Straight, Dario Franchitti went off at Fordwater/St Marys.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 07:23 (Ref:1702944)   #42
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So are these his cars or is someone letting him destroy theirs?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 6 Sep 2006, 08:16 (Ref:1702992)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They are his cars.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 09:24 (Ref:1703061)   #44
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Ah, lay off Adrian. He enjoys racing for himself and I'm sure he'll do it again.

He works hard and plays hard it seems. The ultimate Red Bull corporate persona then.
I have to disagree here. Don't get me wrong I am all for historic racing, but historic crashing just is not my cup of tea. Newey has proven that he is not up to racing at this level and should maybe switch to less demanding cars to improve his skills. He is driving cars that are part of history and he seems to care little about them. I talked to one of the previous owners of his GT40, who put 11000 of scratch free racing miles on that car. Obviously he was gutted by Newey's antics (before he crashed, he had already been off the track several times).
Old 6 Sep 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1703088)   #45
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Whilst I share your horror at the damage to two highly original historic cars, I have to say that from where I was standing, the Jaguar accident was "one of those things". The close proximity to other cars meant that Newey's options were very limited. If he had elected to allow the car to simply spin, he would very likely have involved two or three other cars.

I know it's easy to assume the Oscar Wilde viewpoint here "to lose one is misfortune, to lose two is carelessness", but in this case I think he was simply unlucky.

My opinion of the GT40 incident is a little less charitable, I will concede...
Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:14 (Ref:1703175)   #46
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
I have to disagree here. Don't get me wrong I am all for historic racing, but historic crashing just is not my cup of tea. Newey has proven that he is not up to racing at this level and should maybe switch to less demanding cars to improve his skills. He is driving cars that are part of history and he seems to care little about them. I talked to one of the previous owners of his GT40, who put 11000 of scratch free racing miles on that car. Obviously he was gutted by Newey's antics (before he crashed, he had already been off the track several times).
Lucky him is all I can say. If the cars are being used to the limit then accidents will happen.
Would you like to see the cars raced or put in a museum.
One other point is that whether the car is a 40 year old collectors item or a brand new Lemans GT car, repair costs will be on a par, the parts or labour will cost no more for either regardless of age, well maybe the parts may be a tad cheaper for the older ones in some cases.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 14:14 (Ref:1703341)   #47
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Lucky him is all I can say. If the cars are being used to the limit then accidents will happen.
Would you like to see the cars raced or put in a museum.
One other point is that whether the car is a 40 year old collectors item or a brand new Lemans GT car, repair costs will be on a par, the parts or labour will cost no more for either regardless of age, well maybe the parts may be a tad cheaper for the older ones in some cases.
People like Peter Hardman drive these cars on the limit every week and I have never seen him in an accident. Monteverde and Newey clearly drive over their own and/or the car's limits; that's when accidents are likely.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1703351)   #48
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not always though, sometimes it can be other people's fault! If you're pushing yourself too though, sometimes you will find a limit.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 14:51 (Ref:1703367)   #49
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Maybe the previous owner of the car didn't push it.

Can't see the issue. Accidents happen Cars get damaged, cars get repaired.

Most of GT40s & Jags (if not all) racing today have been restored to original state.

These will be back.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1703375)   #50
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
This GT40 was very original. I agree that accidents are in inevitable, but some drivers seem suicidal, which is not good for anyone involved.