Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 6 Jun 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1321129)   #1
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nervous flyer wants help getting to Le Mans

If you have seen my thread in Parc Ferme you'll know that I'm going to Le Mans and also a nervous flyer and going to struggle getting on the plane at Stanstead.

So, if anyone is on the Ryanair flight to Tours from Stanstead on Thursday 16th and is willing to assist and cadjole me onto the 'plane can you please PM me.

Thank you.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1321310)   #2
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have you flown much before? or do you just hate it? First time I flew (only a few years back) I decided to confront my fear head-on and sit by a window. The view out is nothing like that which may induce vertigo, in my experience.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1321799)   #3
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are nervous about flying and a LM fan think like this (I aint a techno buff, so this is a rough idea)

You must be aware of how much downforce is generated by the wings on prototypes, to the extent that above certain speeds there is enough downforce to let them run, theoretically, upside down glued to a ceiling.

The wings on an aeroplane act in the complete opposite manner i.e. providing lift. If you could "see" the aerodynamics of a plane you could understand just how easy these things stay up and allay many of your fears. And statistically it is the safest way to travel. You'll be fine
Old 6 Jun 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1321829)   #4
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you contacted the airline?

They might give some adivce, or let you on a minute or two early.

Might even get to see the captin and have a look around .
Old 6 Jun 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1321831)   #5
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_sykes
Have you contacted the airline?

They might give some adivce, or let you on a minute or two early.

Might even get to see the captin and have a look around .
As long as the Captain is not Chris Perkins who normally drives in TGP there shouldn't be a problem!

I used to use the excuse that I was a nervous passenger to get on the flight deck but since 9/11 a lot of airlines have now stopped that,more's the pity.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 01:01 (Ref:1321972)   #6
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I don't like waiting to fly, but I really do enjoy it once we are off, I think mostly it is the not-being-in-control aspect. You probably don't have the time, but a sight seeing flight in a small plane might help, the pilot would explain all that is going on, utterly fascinating to be a part of. The advice about sitting by a window is good too, although you may not think so until you have done it. The window will let you see the world from a new perspective, the aisle seat lets you look at other passengers, and unless you are somehow blessed they will be normal run of the mill people you would see on the street, so nothing to look at!

You will like it and the flight will be over too soon, take my word for it. Although you are going to LeMans, so you want the flight over soon so you will be there. ENJOY!!!!
robert
Old 7 Jun 2005, 07:22 (Ref:1322085)   #7
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Make sure you have your copy of the Autosport Le Mans supplement for inflight reading. Hopefully that will help keep your mind on why you are flying in the first place - to go to the finest race in the world. Hang in there mate and hopefully see you over the weekend sometime.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1322251)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent advice Allon. I'm not a great flyer but I'm flying over this year (as you know ). I will definitely have my head buried in a book/magazine until we get off the ground and have finished climbing. Trouble is, the trip is so short that pretty much as soon as we get up there, we'll be coming back down again.......