Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 8 Dec 2016, 04:09 (Ref:3694670)   #1
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Manfeild Update

A wee soiree to the mighty Palmerston North recently resulted in an opportune discussion about Mighty Manfeild.

The great news is that the track and facilities are now safe. The respective councils have voted to change the debt structure of the venue, which gives them some breathing space and allows the money that was being used to service the interest to now go towards development of the venue.

Seemingly, this quashes all the rumours regarding the facility becoming a retirement complex/residential development, being sold to Tony Quinn, or going into some form of receivership or liquidation.

The good news is that there will be more development at the venue to make Mighty Manfeild even mightier!

Watch this space!!
Old 14 Dec 2016, 06:26 (Ref:3696030)   #2
superstock
Rookie

New Zealand
lower hutt
superstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
manfeilds only a shadow of what it was ,
Old 16 Feb 2017, 23:07 (Ref:3712690)   #3
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstock View Post
Please elaborate...

It is a lovely setting and a track layout that promotes racing.
Best of all, if your day isn't tracking that well you can walk into town for a cuppa and a sticky bun.
Noice
Old 17 Feb 2017, 08:44 (Ref:3712779)   #4
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a driver, it never really suited my car.

As a very keen amateur photographer, there are pitifully few places to get a decent variety of action photographs. Sorry, not my favourite track.
Old 17 Feb 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3712912)   #5
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Wow. There's volumes in that statement alone.
The track is a constant but blame does go outwards...

I should also mention that it's very pleasurable to spectate at. The cars pass in front of you 4 times a lap so there's always something to watch. Even back in the field where the driver's cars don't appear to suit the track.
From your seat everything is close enough to see what the drivers are doing and how they set up their passes.
The bump in T2 (before splash) fair made the TRS cars hop!
Old 20 Feb 2017, 21:30 (Ref:3713526)   #6
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A nice track that has already seen its fair share of liquidation!
Old 21 Feb 2017, 06:45 (Ref:3713602)   #7
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
Wow. There's volumes in that statement alone.
The track is a constant but blame does go outwards...
Heavy steering, very nose heavy (bog standard six cylinder cast iron lump), so understeer is normal and very slow out of the corners. Four speed gearbox and only a couple of seconds a lap when 4th was possible. Car is happier (and driver!) with slightly faster corners.

Viewing from the stand is OK to see the racing, but not so good for taking photographs.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3713744)   #8
eskymsport
Rookie

eskymsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Viewing from the stand is OK to see the racing, but not so good for taking photographs.[/QUOTE]

that's brilliant, i thought the stands were meant to be built for the spectators, but apparently it is all about the photographers
Old 22 Feb 2017, 03:34 (Ref:3713878)   #9
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskymsport View Post
Viewing from the stand is OK to see the racing, but not so good for taking photographs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskymsport View Post
that's brilliant, i thought the stands were meant to be built for the spectators, but apparently it is all about the photographers
Not what I said! It isn't all about the photographers, but just pointing out that it isn't amateur photographer friendly. There is a difference.

Now I have hung up my race helmet, taking photographs is a major reason for visiting race tracks - or not. In that regard, Manfeild is not so good. It isn't alone in that regard, either in NZ or overseas.

Western Springs is also great to see the action, as you can see the whole track, but isn't so good for photographs, so it isn't confined to road circuits. Highlands is a long track, but again, cars are out of sight for much of the lap and from what I can gather talking to pro's, also not exactly amateur photographer friendly.

The majority just go to see the racing, but not everyone.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 01:26 (Ref:3714138)   #10
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Funny old thing but.
I get to go to a bunch of race tracks but these days I really like the feel of 'club' tracks.
Timaru, Teretonga, Manfeild.
Trees, grass even occasional blue sky.

Now call me really old fashioned but I wish Pukekohe could still run the 'proper' layout without the Supercar appeasing detour. Lets get some proper braking battles going on!

I realise it is the point of it all but the 'FIA' tracks with their cookie cutter pit garages etc are rather sterile

I guess it shows I'm well on the way to being another silly old fart...
Old 23 Feb 2017, 07:13 (Ref:3714173)   #11
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Agree about FIA tracks.

For what it is worth as a photographer or spectator:

Can you walk all the way around the track, inside or outside?
Can you see the whole car (ie. Helmet top to wheels) from those viewpoints?
Is there chicken wire fencing between you and the track?
Are you so far away from the track surface that you don't feel part of it?
Can you see more than one bend/corner from a good position?
Are you able to spectate from inside and outside ie. see cars going from left to right and also right to left - and can you cross the track whilst racing is going on?
Is the track totally flat or are cars able to demonstrate a bit of 'attitude'?
Is paddock access free?

That is by no means everything, but one or two tracks are very spectator/photographer friendly, but many are not, with spectators sometimes corralled into relatively small spaces. (Monaco for the historic GP was dreadful. Even though the adjacent stand was virtually empty, the jobsworths wouldn't allow you into any stand other than what was on your ticket, even though prices were the same.) Will never go back.

There was a time when you could spectate from the inside of corner 1 at Pukekohe. You can't now. The track footbridge has ruined much of the view too. Even from the pits area, you no longer get a good view of the last corner.

At least at Manfeild, yes, you can see the cars on most of the track, but very few of the tracks that I am familiar with, overall, are very spectator/photographer friendly. Some are just better than others.

If they are not really spectator friendly, it doesn't seem to matter what racing is on, there are far more options for the nation's use of leisure time, than there ever was in the 1960's.

Yup. Silly old farts maybe, but at least we grew up before the FIA effectively made life too difficult and Bernie was only interested in charging mega millions for the TV rights and effectively ignoring the wishes of the paying spectators.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 22:56 (Ref:3714363)   #12
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Usually I pick one of two corners to watch anyway.
At every track there are usually a couple where you can graphically see the difference in skill levels between drivers and how they approach the problem.

But then my focus has always been rather 'in the moment' appreciating performance. I'm not so interested in collecting pictures or being overly excited about the machinery.

Personally I view Motorsport as a people sport.

Lucky we're all different
Old 14 Oct 2019, 08:37 (Ref:3934308)   #13
jellywrestler
Rookie

jellywrestler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstock View Post
the tracks exactly the same as it's always been, other tracks have put up pretty buildings which don't change the racing at all
Old 14 Oct 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3934309)   #14
jellywrestler
Rookie

jellywrestler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post

you mean as a driver, you were incapable of setting the car up for the circuit?
Old 16 Oct 2019, 12:07 (Ref:3934944)   #15
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
you mean as a driver, you were incapable of setting the car up for the circuit?
No, he means it didn't suit his car. I know his car, you could set it up until the cows come home, and it still wouldn't go well at that circuit.