Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Jun 2017, 23:23 (Ref:3741036)   #101
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
What do they use the lake for? Do people swim, boat, fish, drink from it?
Old 13 Jun 2017, 23:37 (Ref:3741041)   #102
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I had a long discussion with a security guard beside the lake as he told me about all the awesome fish in there. Was trying to watch a race, but this dudes life was fishing.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 01:51 (Ref:3741057)   #103
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They'd have to dig a hole and create a lake somewhere else to fill it in. What I'd like to see is it filed back in with the original material, if you follow me. (The black suburbans are forming up on my front yard right now).

Think someone was water skiing during the 24 a few years back iirc.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 03:11 (Ref:3741065)   #104
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Lake Lloyd was created to get the dirt to make the banking for the NASCAR oval.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 04:53 (Ref:3741077)   #105
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Lake Lloyd was created to get the dirt to make the banking for the NASCAR oval.
Yes. Yest it was. It was like digging a hole at the beach, which is exactly what they did. The dirt needs to go back in the hole, which is what I was referring to. Half the degree of banking (or less) would be spectacular for both big races there.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 06:19 (Ref:3741088)   #106
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the problem is they don't want more cars in the infield, so even if they could fill in the lake they wouldn't. They want more people in the stands and more people buying drinks and food at the track instead of bringing in a car load of their own stuff.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 14:10 (Ref:3741211)   #107
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
I think the problem is they don't want more cars in the infield, so even if they could fill in the lake they wouldn't. They want more people in the stands and more people buying drinks and food at the track instead of bringing in a car load of their own stuff.
First off, the cannot fill the lake with anything but water.

Daytona is pretty much at sea level. When it rains, all that water needs to drain.

Second ... exactly. Camping is not a priority for the Track. it is better for the track and the town idf people come, stay in hotels, and visit the track. The track doesn't have to deal with so much impact, I am sure they make a lot higher profit margin on a ticket than on a camping pass.

Also, to open up areas for camping means more sanitation facilities, more roads, more gates, more personnel making sure campers stay clear of the track .... and there really isn't That much space available. Half the trackside space would have to be cordoned off as a crash zone.

I'd think Daytona (the track) would be happiest raising the prices on the existing spots, to attract a more genteel, better-funded crowd ... supply and demand makes this very possible---rather than to increase the number of campers in general. And their best bet is to spend the least amount on modifications, clean-up, etc and just get more two-day ticket purchasers into the stands.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3741218)   #108
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

Daytona is pretty much at sea level. When it rains, all that water needs to drain.

Second ... exactly. Camping is not a priority for the Track. it is better for the track and the town idf people come, stay in hotels, and visit the track. The track doesn't have to deal with so much impact, I am sure they make a lot higher profit margin on a ticket than on a camping pass.

Also, to open up areas for camping means more sanitation facilities, more roads, more gates, more personnel making sure campers stay clear of the track .... and there really isn't That much space available. Half the trackside space would have to be cordoned off as a crash zone.

I'd think Daytona (the track) would be happiest raising the prices on the existing spots, to attract a more genteel, better-funded crowd ... supply and demand makes this very possible---rather than to increase the number of campers in general. And their best bet is to spend the least amount on modifications, clean-up, etc and just get more two-day ticket purchasers into the stands.
Get out.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 14:27 (Ref:3741220)   #109
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

Don't try to tell a construction person something "cannot" be done. You just have to throw money at it.

And there's plenty of dirt close by that can be used as fill. Really close.

It won't ever be done, however.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3741294)   #110
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Don't try to tell a construction person something "cannot" be done. You just have to throw money at it.

And there's plenty of dirt close by that can be used as fill. Really close.

It won't ever be done, however.
And they have conveniently labelled the piles 1-4 to remember where they put it.
Old 24 Jun 2017, 17:23 (Ref:3746459)   #111
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andretti Autosport wanting to return to IMSA.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/14174...-new-imsa-deal
Old 24 Jun 2017, 17:30 (Ref:3746464)   #112
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Andretti Autosport wanting to return to IMSA.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/14174...-new-imsa-deal
Just caught that. It would be good!

Perhaps with a Honda?
Old 24 Jun 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3746468)   #113
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm trying to think where they could go, the article seems to indicate they are talking with manufacturers and GT since prototype seems full. But GTD doesn't have any new cars on the horizon for a one year Acura/Lexus deal that I can remember, and GTLM is pretty full unless they are putting a bid together for the BMW program with the 2018 M8 GTE. Sounds like the usual kicking of tires teams do for the next season, although I could see BMW giving them the program with their Formula E linkup giving them a leg up on RLL.

From the article:
"We've been talking with a lot of manufacturers about getting back into sports cars," Andretti told RACER. Asked if he felt landing a prototype or GT deal was more likely, Andretti said "GT; there isn't a lot left in prototypes right now."
Old 24 Jun 2017, 18:12 (Ref:3746476)   #114
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm trying to think where they could go, the article seems to indicate they are talking with manufacturers and GT since prototype seems full. But GTD doesn't have any new cars on the horizon for a one year Acura/Lexus deal that I can remember, and GTLM is pretty full unless they are putting a bid together for the BMW program with the 2018 M8 GTE. Sounds like the usual kicking of tires teams do for the next season, although I could see BMW giving them the program with their Formula E linkup giving them a leg up on RLL.

From the article:
"We've been talking with a lot of manufacturers about getting back into sports cars," Andretti told RACER. Asked if he felt landing a prototype or GT deal was more likely, Andretti said "GT; there isn't a lot left in prototypes right now."
I am going to say mclaren?
Old 24 Jun 2017, 18:35 (Ref:3746479)   #115
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Old 24 Jun 2017, 19:15 (Ref:3746486)   #116
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post

From the article:
Maybe Ferrari is interested in a factory GT team?
Old 24 Jun 2017, 19:32 (Ref:3746490)   #117
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Maybe Ferrari is interested in a factory GT team?
In that case Ferrari should support Risi.
Risi did quite well without factory support, it should be better if that support comes. Especially to be able to put 2 cars on track and be on equal terms with the rest of the factory teams.
Old 24 Jun 2017, 20:41 (Ref:3746505)   #118
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm a sucker for a McLaren rumor, so I'm on board!
Old 24 Jun 2017, 22:03 (Ref:3746539)   #119
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Nissan's in the door, but doesn't have a GTD entry.
Old 24 Jun 2017, 23:08 (Ref:3746545)   #120
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Nissan's in the door, but doesn't have a GTD entry.
I would think Andretti is looking for a factory backed effort.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 01:56 (Ref:3746554)   #121
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
When I was a kid we'd show up on race day with no tickets and go right into the infield.
Likewise. 'Would show up Saturdays for the Paul Revere and Finale and Thursdays for the 24 from '74-82, but know you could arrive and get in on raceday.
'Always pitched at the exit of the West Horseshoe (restrooms right there to drain all that beer ) 'Glad the tunnel and bleacher weren't there. Moved on up to the grandstand '83 on for the better view and pit action.

jimclark
Old 25 Jun 2017, 02:23 (Ref:3746556)   #122
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you guys think there is anything to read into this comment? I guess the key question "is what was there at the start?"

Quote:
there isn't a lot left in prototypes right now
Old 25 Jun 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3746617)   #123
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
There's no point in showing up if you're not gm.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 13:10 (Ref:3746628)   #124
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Do you guys think there is anything to read into this comment? I guess the key question "is what was there at the start?"
I think it means the manufacturers that are interested already have a program or a program planned. And I guess they feel there are still a couple more manufacturers still evaluating a GT program so they think their odds are better there.

Putting on my rosy glasses I would say that indicates there will be an additional program or two for prototype in the near future. 😀
Old 25 Jun 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3746631)   #125
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah Andretti aren't going to get a factory team going by current known interest and entries. But they could run a pretty good GTD team since there's no works cars in that.