Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 31 May 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1315897)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Le Mans Museum and Historical stuff and sources

There is an interesting article here stating that the ACO have approved plans by the Univesity of Kansas for a much larger museum at the Circuit.
Old 31 May 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1315913)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
$200M eh? Still, our American friends are undoubtedly good for it.....

It reminds me, I really must get into the museum one of these days - I still haven't managed it in 19 years!

Anyone know the opening times?
Old 31 May 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1315946)   #3
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I ve been once since 1983!
Old 31 May 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1315950)   #4
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went there a year ago.. great stuff
Old 31 May 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1315987)   #5
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
RobertPrange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi

I dont know the excat times but its even open during the race , i went there in 2003 during the morning hours (10 o´ clock or something)

Its kinda nice , but i was shocked not a single 956/962 was on display there. seems a little bit off , doesent it?
Old 31 May 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1315989)   #6
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
$200M eh? Still, our American friends are undoubtedly good for it.....

It reminds me, I really must get into the museum one of these days - I still haven't managed it in 19 years!

i've been a couple of times, quite interesting, maybe could do with a little more space and some newer cars from recent years.

ayse you'll be lucky if you get to the circuit in time for the hawiian tropic girls this year...never mind the museum!
Old 31 May 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1316008)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Nice place, where I first met FG1 and family

There's always tourist all year long, coming from all around the world, but especially clubs coming from UK...

Robert, they mostly have there cars that offered factories or teams... if Porsche didn't make the gift...
Old 31 May 2005, 18:23 (Ref:1316054)   #8
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
yep thats probably the reason , it´s still strange that one of the most successfull cars ever is not present there.

Never mind , its still a very nice Museum , well worth a visit
Old 31 May 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1316055)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have been round a few times now and it is well worth, it also costs next to nothing to get into as well, around 5 euro's I think. If you have a spare hour during the race week pop in I highly recommend it.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 03:33 (Ref:1316368)   #10
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It reminds me, I really must get into the museum one of these days - I still haven't managed it in 19 years!.....
This will not have gone unnoticed by the ACO who take a very dim view of such behaviour.......
Old 1 Jun 2005, 03:37 (Ref:1316369)   #11
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
It's a very peacefull place... my children love to go there too...

Something's missing though : a decent cafetaria, or a "lunch" restaurant you very often have in museums... I'd like to have my professionnal meetings there, but there's nothing at the circuit to welcome you... each time I go there, I have to "lie" at the gate and say "I'm going to the ACO's tickets' desk", just for the pleasure to lurk in... kinda irrelevant, if you ask me... there's somehting to do there to really make it a place of pilgrimage all year long...
Old 1 Jun 2005, 06:38 (Ref:1316445)   #12
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
It's a very peacefull place... my children love to go there too...

Something's missing though : a decent cafetaria, or a "lunch" restaurant you very often have in museums... I'd like to have my professionnal meetings there, but there's nothing at the circuit to welcome you... each time I go there, I have to "lie" at the gate and say "I'm going to the ACO's tickets' desk", just for the pleasure to lurk in... kinda irrelevant, if you ask me... there's somehting to do there to really make it a place of pilgrimage all year long...
Ok it's just a lunch place and not really a good restaurant, bvut you can eat at "Le Casque" located inside the Technoparc and open all year long, with a specific LM decoration.

I know it's not an inside-track place but it's the nearest place to eat....

... or you drive 10 minutes back in the Nantes direction and stop ta the gastronomic "Tables de La Fontaine" co-owned by a real LM-nuts (akas me !!!!)

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 1 Jun 2005, 07:19 (Ref:1316454)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr

ayse you'll be lucky if you get to the circuit in time for the hawiian tropic girls this year...never mind the museum!

You're right. I'm pretty well writing off some of my much-loved preliminaries this year, worse luck. Still, I will be there eventually - and that's more than a lot of people.....
Old 1 Jun 2005, 08:05 (Ref:1316494)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles
Ok it's just a lunch place and not really a good restaurant, bvut you can eat at "Le Casque" located inside the Technoparc and open all year long, with a specific LM decoration. I know it's not an inside-track place but it's the nearest place to eat....!!!!
I didn't this one ; but it's not completely "LM linked", as you can't see the track from the table... or am I too demanding ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles
.. or you drive 10 minutes back in the Nantes direction and stop ta the gastronomic "Tables de La Fontaine" co-owned by a real LM-nuts (akas me !!!!)
I didn't know you actuallyt owned a restaurant ! Where does it stand precisely ? I can't remember any restaurant on the way back to the Motorway gate to Nantes...
Old 1 Jun 2005, 09:36 (Ref:1316564)   #15
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never been in 25 years, maybe this year (I think I said that last year, and the year before etc!)
Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1317997)   #16
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
I didn't this one ; but it's not completely "LM linked", as you can't see the track from the table... or am I too demanding ?

I didn't know you actuallyt owned a restaurant ! Where does it stand precisely ? I can't remember any restaurant on the way back to the Motorway gate to Nantes...
Sorry but no restaurant open all year long where you can see the track from your table.

During trade shows at the expo centre, if you eat at the restaurant, you'll see the Dunlop bridgeand the general entrance.

Sorry but we're not on the way to the motorway, but on the RN 23. After weel -eaten, you may acess to the A11 at Sable-La Fleche

Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:57 (Ref:1318007)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gilles - if you promise good food I will dine there at some point on saturday/sunday or monday night!

(this week)
Old 2 Jun 2005, 13:06 (Ref:1318023)   #18
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Gilles - if you promise good food I will dine there at some point on saturday/sunday or monday night!

(this week)
Wer're open on Saturday and Sunday but not monday night because it's our closure day every week.

Good Food is not a promise, it's a minimum... but i'll let you juge by yourself.

Please call 00 33 243 871 818 for your reservation.

Old 2 Jun 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1318253)   #19
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Sorry, I realized that we weren't in the "Accomodations" thread, but in the "Museum" thread ; my fault we drifted massively...

Back to topic now - Gilles, I've pm you to keep on the talk...and we can talk about the restaurant by pm too, Brielga, or at least in the "Accomodations" thread.

Sorry again !
Old 2 Jun 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1318272)   #20
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Anyway, a part of the decoration and the bar's library could be considered as a LM-related museum because I expose some of my automobilia.

Old 3 Jun 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1318785)   #21
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you do get to the museum, look out for the steam powered motorcyle. Rather you than me!

FG
Old 3 Jun 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1318942)   #22
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I go every couple of years, quite nice if hot (air con) or wet (roof!) and a few minutes of peace and quiet. Agree there is nothing recent car wise, but some nice older models and great incar footage of a lap pre-chicanes. Worth a visit if you haven't been before , espeically as it is reduced price during the race with an entry ticket.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 12:16 (Ref:1318968)   #23
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllonFS
I go every couple of years, quite nice if hot (air con) or wet (roof!) and a few minutes of peace and quiet. Agree there is nothing recent car wise, but some nice older models and great incar footage of a lap pre-chicanes. Worth a visit if you haven't been before , espeically as it is reduced price during the race with an entry ticket.
I visited a few weeks ago the Beaulieu NMM and this museum isn't so far up level to Le Mans one.

Ok they're some reconstitutions (the astonishing mid-thirties rural garage is a must) but the collection is quite equivalent

I met M.Piquera (the director of the museum) a few times and if he would have all the money and place he would like to have, probably would the museum extend.

The reserves are quite full of interesting cars and automobilia and I visit at least once a year the museum to support it.

If the recent cars aren't so numerous it may be because manufacturer keep them for corporate events or their private heritage collection.

should we raise a TT subscription to offer a 917 to the museum?

Old 3 Jun 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1319016)   #24
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gilles, are you talking about a 917 for your own museum?

There is the 1971 winner in the museum's collection - it was on display when I was there back in 2002. (Along with the 1988 winnner and 1974, among others)

Funny, though, I don't recall any 956/962s at all.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 Jun 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1319135)   #25
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins

Funny, though, I don't recall any 956/962s at all.
Thats because they dont have one