Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 26 Jun 2010, 19:03 (Ref:2718307)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Moto GP 2011 Thread

Well, the silly season race for the 2011 grid is already well under way. As we all know; Rossi, Lorenzo, Stoner and Pedrosa are all wrapping up their existing contracts in 2010. So they are free to look around.

The big question is where will Rossi go? Well, the rumors have been that he would be on an Italian bike in 2011. Titles with three different makes would be a nice feat, not to mention Rossi on a red Italian bike is like the second coming. Rumors now say Ducati (and Phillip Morris?) have offered 15 million euros along with other perks. The other perks may include future involvement in the team, or possible tie ups with Fiat in rallying or Ferrari in F1.

The first real rumor though, was that Stoner had already signed with Honda. More fuel was added when it was said Stoner's crew were told to consider the chance of alternate employment. He didn’t really have kind words for Honda when he left, but Livio Suppo is now involved. Although sharing a team with Pedrosa, I wonder if Stoner has thought of the Puig factor? He may want to talk to Nicky about that.

Not a lot has been said about Pedrosa. But I imagine Repsol would like to keep him on a Honda. And I think Honda would like to keep Repsol. Pedrosa and Stoner would be a quick package, considering they are the two lightest blokes on the grid.

Side note, where would Dovi go? Two Italians at Ducati? Well ok, I just threw that in as a guess. Nothing has been said about that. But I did hear the possibility of three factory Hondas, with Dovi on his own bike in Red Bull colors. That would be nice for the sake of the grid.

Ok, it's time to mention Lorenzo. Honestly, Yamaha are daft if they let him go. As awesome as Rossi is, they do need to hedge their bets for the future. I really can't see him elsewhere.

Most people assume Ben Spies will slot into Rossi’s vacant spot should he leave, which is probably true. But I don’t know who else Yamaha might be looking at.

Nothing has been really said about Nicky Hayden so far, being the only other rider on the top three teams. Rossi would probably be ok with him on the number two bike. But not sure if Ducati are ok with that. Hayden has shown improvement, but not enough in my opinion.

The only other silly season rumor I have heard is that Capirossi is lobbying for a Tech 3 seat. Seriously Loris, I think it’s time to hang it up.

Speaking of Capirossi, that leaves the Suzuki team as the last two factory bikes. But I think that team is best described as the legion of the damned.

That’s all I have so far, please discuss.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 01:12 (Ref:2718372)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rumour has it there will be 3 factory Honda's in 2011 so Dovi & Pedrosa should stay at Repsol - 3rd bike may be HRC sponsored (like Doohan in 94) - dont think Stoner would go to Repsol & put up with any BS from someone like Puig!
Capirossi as test rider for Ducati in 2011 has been mentioned - would be disappointed if he got a ride in 2011...

My team/riders for 2011 at the moment...

FIAT Yamaha - Lorenzo / Spies...
Tech 3 Yamaha - 2 new riders, no idea yet, perhaps Randy (French connection) if he has a strong finish to the season...
Repsol Honda / HRC - Pedrosa, Dovizioso, Stoner
Gresini Honda - Simoncelli / ?
Ducati Team - Rossi / Hayden
Rizla Suzuki - Bautista / ? (will they be around )
Pramac Ducati - Espargaro / ?

as for the other teams - they all should run 2 bikes...

Anychance of manufacturers returning or new ones entering...
Old 27 Jun 2010, 01:40 (Ref:2718376)   #3
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rumour last night was that Pedrosa & Stoner would be together at Repsol with Dovizioso in a separate one man works team backed by Redbull.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 06:20 (Ref:2718390)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spoke to a guy in the Shell petrol station in Verwood who was wearing a Rizla Suzuki jacket and whose Audi contained other bits of bodywork. I said to him "are you on the team", to which he said yes. When I asked him about next year and would they be in Moto GP he didnt answer directly but did say they will be increasing their involvement in WSB as far as he knew. So it maybe there will be no Suzuki. Doubt anyone would want them as a privateer bike either...
Old 27 Jun 2010, 09:45 (Ref:2718434)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its a shame for Suzuki, but they simply do not have the money or resourcs to compete in 800cc racing.

I thnk they are left behind in the electronics race and simple havent the ability to engineer a good bike.

They will be back for 990 I imagine, but to see them struggling after never being that bad before says a lot to me about the 800 rules and GP in particular.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2718437)   #6
Tazz
Racer

Romania
Brasov, RO
Tazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Gresini Honda - Simoncelli / ?
What about Melandri, any news of him ?
Is BMW - Superbike a real option ?
Old 27 Jun 2010, 20:16 (Ref:2718872)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Its a shame for Suzuki, but they simply do not have the money or resourcs to compete in 800cc racing.

I thnk they are left behind in the electronics race and simple havent the ability to engineer a good bike.

They will be back for 990 I imagine, but to see them struggling after never being that bad before says a lot to me about the 800 rules and GP in particular.
Crash.net had a small article comparing times between Moto GP and WSBK at Assen. The Yamaha, Honda and Ducati GP bikes were 1.65 to 1.85 seconds faster than their SBK counterparts around Assen. The interesting comparison?

Suzuki
GSV-R = 1:36.219 (Capirossi)
GSX-R = 1:36.452 (Haslam)
Difference = 0.233

Old 28 Jun 2010, 03:42 (Ref:2719056)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
dont think Stoner would go to Repsol & put up with any BS from someone like Puig!
Wasn't Stoner found by Puig?

Stoner might be the only teammate he'd approve of
Old 28 Jun 2010, 05:11 (Ref:2719066)   #9
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Wasn't Stoner found by Puig?

Stoner might be the only teammate he'd approve of
Stoner was given a lot of help by Puig in the early days. It was Puig who gave him the number 27 when he rode in the Spanish Cup. (Elias 24, Olive 25, Pedrosa 26, Stoner 27)
Old 28 Jun 2010, 10:13 (Ref:2719159)   #10
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Puig gave him the wildcard on Telefonica/Movistar 125cc at "the island" a few years back - dont mean he owes Puig & will play #2 to Dani if Alberto says so...
Old 28 Jun 2010, 12:11 (Ref:2719221)   #11
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
I get the feeling that Mr Puig no longer has the pull at Honda that he once may have.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 14:51 (Ref:2719308)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfit View Post
I get the feeling that Mr Puig no longer has the pull at Honda that he once may have.
We can only hope.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 07:08 (Ref:2719666)   #13
JohnnyFiama
Racer

JohnnyFiama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think one of the most interesting aspects of next season would be if they introduce the 1000cc bikes. Given the small differences between MotoGP and WSB times around Assen and a 1000cc bike looks very competitive.

Any news on this?
Old 29 Jun 2010, 07:42 (Ref:2719682)   #14
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
The change to 1000cc won't happen before 2012.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 12:29 (Ref:2719820)   #15
JohnnyFiama
Racer

JohnnyFiama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought everyone was meeting in Assen to discuss bringing the date forwards as a way of getting more bikes on the grid for 2011? Bolt a BMW engine into a modified Moto2 chassis and you have a next generation MotoGP bike.....
Old 29 Jun 2010, 12:45 (Ref:2719831)   #16
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFiama View Post
I thought everyone was meeting in Assen to discuss bringing the date forwards as a way of getting more bikes on the grid for 2011? Bolt a BMW engine into a modified Moto2 chassis and you have a next generation MotoGP bike.....
I hadn't heard about that. Interesting.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 14:57 (Ref:2719878)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
The news I heard was that they might allow wild card entries for 2012 configurations in an effort to boost grid numbers. But they wouldn't be regular participants. Personally, I think they should allow privateer entrants (think Moriwaki or Suter) to run the new bikes next year as a way to get extra testing.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 17:41 (Ref:2720448)   #18
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
How bad of an impact would be felt at Yamaha if JB left? Most likely he and Rossi have at least had some input on the 2011 bike, which should only be an evolution of an already very competitive bike. But big changes are coming in 2012. And if Rossi AND JB are gone, I wonder if Yamaha will struggle to develop a championship winning bike?

Last edited by jhansen; 30 Jun 2010 at 18:07.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 19:19 (Ref:2720499)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Anything is possible as they jumped ship from Honda. I think that Jerry might want to see his days out with Yamaha unless Rossi goes Ducati, although I still think that Vali might well call it a day at the end of the season.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Jul 2010, 10:48 (Ref:2720698)   #20
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
And if Rossi AND JB are gone, I wonder if Yamaha will struggle to develop a championship winning bike?
Would Lorenzo have contributed anything to the developement of this bike or is all (100%) Rossi?
Lorenzo has been a class act throughout his career (Rossi a freak), surely he knows a thing or 2 about bike developement now, and if the bike is a fraction off, his skill is still good enough to get a good result. IE : Yamaha will be fine ...
Old 1 Jul 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2720737)   #21
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
This just in .....

"Sources telling me that the Ducati/Rossi deal may well be announced this weekend after I pooh-poohed it coming so early...!" (Gavin Emmett)
Old 1 Jul 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2720798)   #22
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
If that announcement comes this early, I wonder if we will learn about Stoner's move sooner than later?
Old 1 Jul 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2720829)   #23
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Also if Rossi is leaving for Ducati, I wonder who will be sponsoring the Yamaha team next year? Fiat's sponsor deal ends this year. I wonder if Monster would be moving over with Ben Spies to sponsor the factory team?
Old 1 Jul 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2720853)   #24
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
According to MCN it's a done deal with the "musical chairs" !
http://motogpworld.net/2010/06/valen...al-mcn-thinks/
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Jul 2010, 14:03 (Ref:2721149)   #25
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
What the future might look like.