Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 4 Jun 2007, 05:36 (Ref:1928079)   #26
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben Spies may be a contender, i'd guess a factor would be whether the Corona Alstare team move from WSB to GPs
Old 4 Jun 2007, 06:46 (Ref:1928102)   #27
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Dovi? Not so much. He's tough, but I don't know how fast he is.

Being tough isn't enough in MotoGP these days.

The Tech 3 thing? Not so much. Tech 3 have had such a shocking record with developing "Talent" in recent memory that it's not worth it.

They havn't had it since the 500 days. But then again, even WCM were competitive in those days.
I agree with those things.

In particular about Dovi: I don't know if Dovi is a winner in 250cc, let alone in MotoGP. Surprisingly I think he can be flattered by his Honda(!): there are not any worthy driver in Honda, so he looks as a heroe defending the brand way ahead of the others. His Honda is not as fast as the Aprilias... but he gives most of them 2 or 3 Kph, nothing special. And, of course, top speed is not everything.

In 2006 he was second but he won just 2 races, the same that his team mate Takahashi. Dovi's strong point is he is very regular getting high positions, but, by now, he is not a natural race winner in 250cc.

It's not enough to be very good in 250cc to win in MotoGP. Jacque was WC in 250cc, Nakano was a front runner (probably better than Jacque). IMO, a driver has to be astonishing in 250cc to be a guaranty in the highest category. Pedrosa was, Lorenzo is astonishing. Currently I see more potential in Bautista, who is a killer.

Don't get me wrong, I think Dovi is a very good driver, but I'm not convinced he is more a Pedrosa than he is a Porto.

From time to time a rider bright more in MotoGP than in lower cats (Stoner is a current example, Rainey was another). But it is a lottery for a team. Stoner was a famous crasher: he tried and tried. Dovi is more a regular man. I bet more for the Stoners than for the Dovis to try the assault of MotoGP.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 12:15 (Ref:1928391)   #28
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can see Corona and Suzuki hooking up to give Spies a "Shot."

He's an interesting one for sure.

What do the have against Hopkins/Chris? Okay, Chris isn't on the pace in the dry (I suspect maybe he hasn't gotten all the bits.) but he DOES have the potential. And he cleans up in the wet.

Hopkins? I'd thought that he has shown his potential allready...
Old 4 Jun 2007, 12:37 (Ref:1928409)   #29
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What do the have against Hopkins/Chris?
Hasn't it got something to do with Hopper's Red Bull sponsorship, and Red Bull having close ties to Kawasaki in the US? Or something like that.
I think Chris will stay at Suzuki, at least for another year.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 14:35 (Ref:1928498)   #30
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopkins is not riding with Red Bull colors this year. I never saw a reason, but he showed up this year with Monster on the side of his helmet.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 21:37 (Ref:1928827)   #31
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
Currently I see more potential in Bautista, who is a killer.
Alvaro is a killer. . more so than Lorenzo .. but don't doubt Dovi .. give the guy an aprilia ..
there are too few potential good rides in motogp for 250 riders .. even if Superbike teams make the jump .. they're probably get superbike based riders ..

Ciao Marco
Old 4 Jun 2007, 23:39 (Ref:1928917)   #32
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
How about this guy? At Ducati in the place of Capirossi?

Well, you did say it was the silly season...
Old 5 Jun 2007, 00:02 (Ref:1928930)   #33
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, I don't think so. He nearly wet himself at Mugello while riding passenger with Randy Mamola at the controls! Besides, you can't use a pit stop strategy to overtake someone in Moto GP...

Old 5 Jun 2007, 02:43 (Ref:1928984)   #34
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
He is trying to do the ultimate record he doesn't have: doing a reverse-Surtees.

Surely now Valentino is going to be scared
Old 5 Jun 2007, 11:12 (Ref:1929222)   #35
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I got spanked when I suggested that Bikes > F1 because Rossi was better in an F1 car than Schu was on a duke.

I got hit with that nonsensical F1 "Logic."

Actually, last time I saw that was when Alonso said he could get on the podium in motogp. (lol)
Old 5 Jun 2007, 11:35 (Ref:1929246)   #36
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Actually, last time I saw that was when Alonso said he could get on the podium in motogp. (lol)
hahaha, yeah I forgot about that. That was a funny comment wasnt it...

Old 6 Jun 2007, 06:50 (Ref:1929939)   #37
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tech 3 is to use Yamaha bikes again next year. It is not known yet if they are to use Dunlop tyres again. The contract expires at the end of this season:

http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/moto...id=3&section=1
Old 6 Jun 2007, 12:51 (Ref:1930215)   #38
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can't see Shumi in Moto GP, you can't park a bike to disrupt quali like you can park a Ferrari at rasscase.

also with Ben Spies i think his AMA team mate (who is Aussie) Matt Mladdin could give him a run for his money for the ride at corona if the jumped ship.

Last edited by Pro Racer; 6 Jun 2007 at 12:57.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 12:56 (Ref:1930225)   #39
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

I can see Schuey in Tech3, though. Perhaps he carries Ross Brawn with him.

Old 6 Jun 2007, 13:23 (Ref:1930257)   #40
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
maybe Shumi could replace Edwards through a Fiat link, and bring Brawn with him and then we would have the 2 best from F1 and the 2 best from Moto GP.

Brawn and Shumi - F1
Burgess(spelling) and Rossi - Moto GP

interesting.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 03:23 (Ref:1930861)   #41
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
also with Ben Spies i think his AMA team mate (who is Aussie) Matt Mladdin could give him a run for his money for the ride at corona if the jumped ship.
Mladin has won 6 AMA Superbike titles for Suzuki and the MotoGP team has never been interested before (mush to everyone's, even his, dismay), bar a test at the end of 1999. Plus he's pretty well settled and making too much money in the US to bother with a move away from what he has now, especially as it's be a second string team buried in the pack (to start with at least). MotoGP for whatever reason remembers him for his performance on the Cagiva in 1993 in 500s (even though he was treated very much as second string in the team....)

It's funny speaking of Mladin i've been going through some old video's from the mid-90s, and came across some of his old races, like his dominence of the 1992 Australian Superbike Series on the Kawasaki (beating the likes of Troy Corser)
Old 7 Jun 2007, 04:47 (Ref:1930893)   #42
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Alas, this dude named Bayliss joined SBK the year Corser left for the US iirc. That would have been good.

But the best was 250cc Production back in the day, Curtain V. Muggeride V. Fergusson. Those were the days!
Old 7 Jun 2007, 06:06 (Ref:1930915)   #43
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's funny speaking of Mladin i've been going through some old video's from the mid-90s, and came across some of his old races, like his dominence of the 1992 Australian Superbike Series on the Kawasaki (beating the likes of Troy Corser)
That's nothing. My brother has beaten both Mladin and Corser!
Of course they were all about 11 yo riding short circuit on minibikes in the state titles. (True story)
Old 7 Jun 2007, 09:10 (Ref:1931035)   #44
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
well imagine what could of been.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 10:22 (Ref:1931081)   #45
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Like the guys that gave Ayrton a shot for his money in Karts...
Old 7 Jun 2007, 16:59 (Ref:1931379)   #46
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lol at the Aussies as usual, this forum might as well be based in Australia!

re you anywhere on the rally forum?

As for Mladin, he doesnt want to do GP and hasnt for a very long time, he gets paid more than enough to race in AMA, doesnt need the hassle and sees no need to proive himself to a paddock that shunned him after basically being Cagivas test rider for a year and then John Kocinski turned up, Ago fell in love and Mat had nowhere left to go!
Old 8 Jun 2007, 02:36 (Ref:1931855)   #47
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
He also says that he is too tall for the MotoGP bikes and never felt he fit comfortably on the bikes.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 10:49 (Ref:1932141)   #48
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
well fairenough go Mladdin in AMA Aussies are carving up on anything with 2 wheels in 07 , 2007 - year of the Aussie pitty can't say the same for 4 except Power in Champcar although that really isn't a carve up.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 20:22 (Ref:1932643)   #49
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Well, apart from Casey, I don't see many Aussies doing well there. Having in account its great riders in the past, I don't think this season is nothing particularly brilliant in AUS standards. Again, apart from Casey...

I expect Australia to have some front runners any season in some categories. Normal stuff for the "downers"
Old 8 Jun 2007, 22:16 (Ref:1932731)   #50
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
So will the pole curse continue at Catalunya?