Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Feb 2020, 15:43 (Ref:3960635)   #1701
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
You might almost compare it to a normal historic Motorsports weekend. As a driver you just spend your time with the car and forget anything else around you. Two days and you spend it all looking at or driving your car. Pretty tedious for those on the outside.
No comparison Peter, as you know I love historic racing and for that matter just about anything with wheels and engines; it's just that you don't expect to listen to banal and inane comments such as those being broadcast. It's understandable that during periods of extensive coverage there will be lulls to fill in as there often are in endurance races but I'm afraid my limited experience of Sky F1 is probably just that, very limited.
Old 29 Feb 2020, 15:46 (Ref:3960636)   #1702
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Oh and Sky did an hour long review at the end of each day.
This is not how it should work. They should have to chose between a daily summary or full coverage. They shouldn't do both. Why try and offer something for people with different views?

Anyway, I haven't watched any of it. So I don't think they should have bothered with the tests at all, let alone have any coverage of it.
Old 29 Feb 2020, 16:03 (Ref:3960640)   #1703
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
This is not how it should work. They should have to chose between a daily summary or full coverage. They shouldn't do both. Why try and offer something for people with different views?

Anyway, I haven't watched any of it. So I don't think they should have bothered with the tests at all, let alone have any coverage of it.
Accepting your irony. Nothing wrong with them doing it, just stop complaining. If you don't like it don't watch it.

Personally the whole thing has become irrelevant since its all about technical development rather than just going fast. As I said it's trying to polish a turd.

As to my comparison, apologies, my point was if you are seeking to be involved is unlikely that non participants will find it interesting.
Old 29 Feb 2020, 16:12 (Ref:3960641)   #1704
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm probably considered a weirdo as I enjoy testing, be it bikes or cars. My favourite days in Race Control @ Mallory are when we have a Formula E team testing.
Old 29 Feb 2020, 16:16 (Ref:3960642)   #1705
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Accepting your irony. Nothing wrong with them doing it, just stop complaining. If you don't like it don't watch it.

Personally the whole thing has become irrelevant since its all about technical development rather than just going fast. As I said it's trying to polish a turd.

As to my comparison, apologies, my point was if you are seeking to be involved is unlikely that non participants will find it interesting.
As usual I was just being silly.

I generally think that about being at the track. Why would anyone else find what I'm doing interesting?!
Old 29 Feb 2020, 16:17 (Ref:3960643)   #1706
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
I'm probably considered a weirdo as I enjoy testing, be it bikes or cars. My favourite days in Race Control @ Mallory are when we have a Formula E team testing.
Actually I could imagine having it on in the background. Kind of relaxing, in a way.
Old 29 Feb 2020, 16:21 (Ref:3960644)   #1707
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I generally think that about being at the track. Why would anyone else find what I'm doing interesting?!
Bingo.
Old 13 Apr 2020, 14:56 (Ref:3970586)   #1708
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
with no live sports on, i cancelled my cable package/sports bundle for the foreseeable future.

via their online platforms or social media, several leagues have opened up their archives which is great but forced me to question why should i pay to hold on to my sports subscription when they are just showing me the same classic games as that sport's online platform is currently doing for free?

i suspect many have either already canceled or will do so soon and as sports is increasingly looking like a low priority/high risk activity to restart so we are looking at months maybe even a year before we start seeing live events again.

this got me thinking how many people will still be paid subscribers to the paywall when sports starts up again? like any business, if the TV audience/Paywall subscribers continues to drop, then surely at some point the logic and price tag of restarting sports may not justify the revenues coming from the pay TV crowd.

i guess what i am getting at is that after months and month of no sports, people will have moved on to other forms of entertainment so how best would F1 deal with an even smaller potential future TV window?

the longer this goes then im thinking the more important it becomes for F1's return season be FTA/free online stream imo.

we are going to be overwhelmed with returning sports at some point while being free of the habit of paying for it, combined with a very different economic future where people will not have as much disposable income to spread around...

im kinda of thinking that the sports that will rule the future, the ones that will become the most successful, are the ones that come back to us post Covid via FTA/free online streaming.
Old 18 Apr 2020, 13:50 (Ref:3971535)   #1709
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It could be a blessing.

I openly discussed on social media recently how it has taken this situation to make rights holders force themselves to take online seriously, basically to try and keep themselves viable, and make minimal return money during lockdown.

What is has made people realise I hope is how much of a rip off most behind paywall motorsport can be. Yes there will always be those that will prefer to pay to watch stuff, that is undeniable, I don't get it, but some folk are like that.

But, the way drivers, especially have become so much more involved with fans with esports etc, makes me think that trying to hide all that behind paywalls is impossible. It might not be everyone's cup of tea obviously.

the amount of old f1, MotoGP races I have watched for free recently is funny. I would never dream of paying money to watch say the Monaco 96 race, I would find a way to watch it free.

Yet, watching it with the thousands of others, you wonder, if you did this routinely, imagine how many people you COULD get into the sport perhaps, any motorsport.

Instead of just blankly, giving people snippets, posting 2 minute clips on social media and expecting people to sign up for months as a result.

It is dumb and I do hope more people cancel sports subs as it is not the drivers or teams or even tv companies that want it, It is the rights holders alone who makes these decisions and it is NEVER for the good of the sport, the drivers, the public, it is always, ALWAYS about money.
Old 21 Apr 2020, 15:06 (Ref:3972059)   #1710
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Sky have suspended their sports package as there is no live sport, you can do this on the Sky TV website by logging in and selecting to suspend the sports package.
Old 21 Apr 2020, 15:21 (Ref:3972063)   #1711
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Wonder what is happening with Eurosport? There are no listings in the radio times
Old 21 Apr 2020, 15:30 (Ref:3972067)   #1712
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Wonder what is happening with Eurosport? There are no listings in the radio times
The Radio Times. I presume it exists in digital form?
Old 21 Apr 2020, 16:06 (Ref:3972072)   #1713
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The Radio Times. I presume it exists in digital form?
It does.

Click the link - https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/tv-listings/

Press 'Ctrl+F'

Type 'Eurosport' and hit 'enter'

Eurosport 1 is showing Roland Garros
Eurosport 2 is showing Cliff Diving

* I'm not sure who Cliff is, but I hear Roland was pretty good in the air *
Old 21 Apr 2020, 16:08 (Ref:3972073)   #1714
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It does.

Click the link - https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/tv-listings/

Press 'Ctrl+F'

Type 'Eurosport' and hit 'enter'

Eurosport 1 is showing Roland Garros
Eurosport 2 is showing Cliff Diving

* I'm not sure who Cliff is, but I hear Roland was pretty good in the air *
Thanks. I might give the Cliff Diving a go.
Old 21 Apr 2020, 16:20 (Ref:3972074)   #1715
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Thanks. I might give the Cliff Diving a go.
let me know if he's any good....
Old 21 Apr 2020, 16:42 (Ref:3972076)   #1716
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
let me know if he's any good....
I don't think I'll be watching Cliff or any diving, it's subscription only at £39.99 a year.
Old 22 Apr 2020, 01:41 (Ref:3972136)   #1717
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Their race coverage this year has been terrible

Or maybe brilliant, they havent missed one pass, one off, one pit stop, one crash.
Old 22 Apr 2020, 01:44 (Ref:3972137)   #1718
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Their race coverage this year has been terrible

Or maybe brilliant, they havent missed one pass, one off, one pit stop, one crash.
Quote:
From his results so far this year I could have done just as well, and a lot cheaper!
Quote:
Lets talk cost cutting and spending caps

What really gets to me is I could be in Lulu's Merc this year.
I would only want half his money, and i guarantee I would have matched his results podiums, points, poles so far this year.

Talk about waste!
Quote:
Here we are, almost May, getting close to the half way point of the season, and Williams on equal first. Did anybody put money on this?

Also equal last, but thats not so surprising
Seven minutes, four threads, one joke.

Old 22 Apr 2020, 02:30 (Ref:3972138)   #1719
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Due to the current crisis jokes are now rationed.. I am trying to maximise mileage of each one. Maximize tyre life

Also with the Williams thread I used the same joke twice once for first once for last... So I call it 5... 4.5 at least
Old 22 Apr 2020, 08:13 (Ref:3972165)   #1720
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We need a bit of laughter at this time, it makes it easier to get through it
Old 22 Apr 2020, 14:50 (Ref:3972227)   #1721
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Due to the current crisis jokes are now rationed.. I am trying to maximise mileage of each one. Maximize tyre life

Also with the Williams thread I used the same joke twice once for first once for last... So I call it 5... 4.5 at least
I liked them
Old 23 Apr 2020, 05:15 (Ref:3972319)   #1722
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Was just watching an old documentary about F1.Bernie was in it and said in the '70s he offered 10 F1 teams a stake in the TV rights for $100,000 for a 10% share.They all turned him down,so he bought them and the rest is history.
Old 23 Apr 2020, 16:05 (Ref:3972405)   #1723
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Was just watching an old documentary about F1.Bernie was in it and said in the '70s he offered 10 F1 teams a stake in the TV rights for $100,000 for a 10% share.They all turned him down,so he bought them and the rest is history.
I wonder why they didn't buy a stake in the TV rights? Maybe they didn't see the potential of TV coverage as a revenue stream?
Old 23 Apr 2020, 19:33 (Ref:3972445)   #1724
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I wonder why they didn't buy a stake in the TV rights? Maybe they didn't see the potential of TV coverage as a revenue stream?
$100,000 back then would hav been double what they were paying the top drivers.
Was also interesting before Bernie stepped in the tracks were making a fortune from the racing.Each race was a seperate event,the track paid the teams to turn up,the track had TV rights for only for their race.
Old 23 Apr 2020, 20:59 (Ref:3972456)   #1725
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
$100,000 back then would hav been double what they were paying the top drivers.
Was also interesting before Bernie stepped in the tracks were making a fortune from the racing.Each race was a separate event,the track paid the teams to turn up,the track had TV rights for only for their race.
The First Concorde Agreement on January 19, 1981, paved the way for Bernie to sign a three-year deal with the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) in 1982, which ensured consistent coverage in F1’s biggest markets in Europe.

If drivers were being paid $50,000, the value of that in today's money would be $136,688.30 and that is adjusted for inflation. That doesn't seem like a lot. Under that agreement, 47% of the revenue from the TV rights was split between the teams, 30% went to the FIA and 23% went to the Formula One Promoters Association, which became FOM, ie mainly to Bernie.

I got the conversion from, https://www.dollartimes.com/inflatio...0000&year=1980

Tags
pinks