Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

CSCC THRUXTON
Calendar: Historic Racing
Mike Bell  
25 Jul 2020 to 26 Jul 2020 07:30 to 19:30
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings

CSCC visit to the ultra-fast circuit.

Old 4 Jun 2020, 20:36 (Ref:3980227)   #16
MGDavid
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
YESSS!!!!! I will be there with the modsports.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 10:34 (Ref:3980296)   #17
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't think we'll make it as not sure what hotel arrangements will be, and as I note that there will only be two admission tickets for main driver and one for second driver, it would mean me either leaving my 84 year-old partner behind for the weekend or booking an extra day in whatever hotel accommodation we could get....

Nothing to do with me being a bit nervous of being out of my depth when making my first visit to the infamously fast circuit, where we would be seriously underpowered......
Old 6 Jun 2020, 07:34 (Ref:3980434)   #18
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have entered the 2 x Magnificent 7 races on the Saturday on the assumption that:
Camping/ Motorhomes will be allowed for overnight stays by then
My mechanic mate is happy to provide support and also camp
I can get a test place on the Friday as I have not raced at Thruxton before
I and Mrs 97 still feel safe with the arrangements
Easier to enter now and cancel nearer the time, if not happy about any of above, than it is to try to enter late

I have booked a track evening at Donington for 23 June to try to get back in the swing of things as not even sat in the car since Oct last year.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 13:21 (Ref:3980480)   #19
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I have entered the 2 x Magnificent 7 races on the Saturday on the assumption that:
Camping/ Motorhomes will be allowed for overnight stays by then
My mechanic mate is happy to provide support and also camp
I can get a test place on the Friday as I have not raced at Thruxton before
I and Mrs 97 still feel safe with the arrangements
Easier to enter now and cancel nearer the time, if not happy about any of above, than it is to try to enter late

I have booked a track evening at Donington for 23 June to try to get back in the swing of things as not even sat in the car since Oct last year.

Ah, but as you'll only get two tickets you'll have to choose between Mrs 97 and your mechanic mate as your plus 1
Old 6 Jun 2020, 13:33 (Ref:3980487)   #20
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Ah, but as you'll only get two tickets you'll have to choose between Mrs 97 and your mechanic mate as your plus 1
Mrs 97 rarely comes along now, except to Donington, due to us having 2 dogs. Easy.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 10:27 (Ref:3980785)   #21
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm considering it at the moment, but the Covid situation just puts even more obstacles in the way.

SWMBO is in two minds about it, and as she's team manager, I have to take note!

But Thruxton is already a borderline case for us, due to it being so far away. So no way we could do it all in a day, which means being able to camp on-site is a must, but currently an unknown. I've always maintained that I will do it one day, just to tick that box if nothing else, but just not sure if this is the year to give it a try...

Never having been there is also another consideration. Of course, there has to be a first time at any circuit, but learning what is the fastest circuit in the country at a time when, if something goes wrong (a crash and potential hospitalisation, for example) means you could end up with more complications than you bargained for, is certainly something that needs to be considered.

Hmmm... decisions, decisions.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 11:07 (Ref:3980796)   #22
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

Never having been there is also another consideration. Of course, there has to be a first time at any circuit, but learning what is the fastest circuit in the country at a time when, if something goes wrong (a crash and potential hospitalisation, for example) means you could end up with more complications than you bargained for, is certainly something that needs to be considered.

Hmmm... decisions, decisions.

I was discussing it with Rob (the Apothecary) the other day and his tale of having a front strut fail last time he was there, fortunately at the slowest part of the circuit, made me think, especially as he reckoned if something goes wrong you're likely to end up in another postcode Then I looked up the lap times from last year and the quick lads were in the high 90s average mph, and the guys we'd normally run with were in the mid-80s.... Given that on most circuits we visit we're a lot slower than that - about 10mph slower at Silverstone International, for example, I suspect we'd be significantly underpowered.....

Advance planning mode - have you got a pub with a good garden near you ? - if they open up in the next couple of weeks we'll come over and have a chat about it