Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Sep 2021, 20:05 (Ref:4071679)   #16
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Geraint said in the opening post it is a daft idea. The Classic organisers care not that the August bank holiday has been the date for the Oulton Park Gold Cup for many years but the opportunity to capitalise on a popular weekend and ride roughshod over other organising clubs (not that the Classic is a club in my book) is typical.
Old 2 Sep 2021, 21:22 (Ref:4071689)   #17
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Bonkers decision. The august bank holiday clashes with so many other events whether it be motorsport, equestrianism, music festivals etc. I hope they reconsider.
But, given that a fair proportion of the attendees are car club folks away for the weekend with their mates and they'd do that whatever weekend, maybe it doesn't matter. You don't need that many from across the country to make it work. I reckon there's some don't watch a moments racing ...
Old 2 Sep 2021, 21:23 (Ref:4071690)   #18
Geraint Owen
Rookie

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two other things occur to me
- Oulton Park Gold Cup has withered from its former glory. Is that because there isnt an appetite from competitors to go motor racing on Aug Bank Holiday Weekend?
- Dusk is an hour earlier in late Aug than late July. If racing isnt going into the dark, then there is an hour less track time on friday and saturday.
Old 3 Sep 2021, 08:02 (Ref:4071755)   #19
MichaelBirch
Rookie

MichaelBirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand the reason is that the Moto GP is now contracted to follow after the F1 GP, which has meant The Classic has had to move.

The wife's happy as it means we can now go to the King George (the other type of horse power)!
Old 3 Sep 2021, 12:35 (Ref:4071797)   #20
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Geraint Owen;4071690]Two other things occur to me
- Oulton Park Gold Cup has withered from its former glory. Is that because there isnt an appetite from competitors to go motor racing on Aug Bank Holiday Weekend?
- QUOTE]

Oulton was pretty well attended this time around, both off track with spectators and car clubs, and on track - granted the turn-out in the Saloons and Aurora were poor, but most other classes had good grids. Will be gutted if I've just attended the last OPGC over the August Bank Holiday ...
Old 3 Sep 2021, 13:54 (Ref:4071806)   #21
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
- QUOTE]

Oulton was pretty well attended this time around, both off track with spectators and car clubs, and on track - granted the turn-out in the Saloons and Aurora were poor, but most other classes had good grids. Will be gutted if I've just attended the last OPGC over the August Bank Holiday ...[/QUOTE]

Completely agree with all of these points.
Old 3 Sep 2021, 17:07 (Ref:4071836)   #22
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
- Dusk is an hour earlier in late Aug than late July. If racing isnt going into the dark, then there is an hour less track time on friday and saturday.
Well, that might be an opportunity to run a couple of (partly) night races which may just be tempting enough, on a long weekend, to get a few extra ticket sales from people anticipating something a little unusual.

Whether that then works for subsequent years ...