Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Sep 2020, 10:12 (Ref:4007129)   #901
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speaking as a spectator snapper, who has the benefit of having finished full time employment, I have now been to eight English motorsport venues, some on multiple occasions, since July for both car and bike racing. This has not included Silverstone to date for obvious reasons.

I have really enjoyed some of the "greener" venues where you aren't constantly shooting through or over fencing, don't have fencing or acres of gravel as a back drop or those where you can get closer to the action.

I do hope that Silverstone can find a way to accommodate (in a Covid secure way) spectators for British GT, HSCC finals, WHT and the Birkett, but am not holding my breath. After the last few weeks I am also not sure how much I want to negotiate the photographic challenges there if there are better shots to be had elsewhere !

On a side note, having been brought up on four wheeled motorsport, I have really enjoyed shooting bikes - there's something about seeing the rider often hidden behind bodywork in a car. Theres also the fact that we all think we could get a Fiesta or a Clio round a track at reasonable speed - but a bike - NO WAY !
Old 28 Sep 2020, 11:05 (Ref:4007143)   #902
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure we all have favourite and less favourite places, coloured by whether we are driving, snapping marshalling or spectating. I enjoyed racing at Rockingham - possibly because it was different - but by heaven it was soul-less. Silverstone National is a bit boring, but I quite like the International.....picturesque it ain't, though. Brands Indy makes me dizzy....I know its a "classic" but I can't be bothered dragging myself the length of the country (and the M25) to go round in small circles...although to contradict myself I enjoy Mallory, which is equally small I did love the one race at Brands GP circuit 10 years ago - that was worth the trip!

Never warmed to Snetterton - again maybe because of its remoteness (for me), but I do like circuits which involve gradients.....so Donington, Oulton, Anglesey, Cadwell are all favourites of mine (and co-incidentally more accessible )

Croft is near enough too, and I don't dislike it, but equally it doesn't excite me. I'd love to try a race at Knockhill - I've been driven round it by Pete Richards in his Clan, which was exciting - but not many race series are prepared to contemplate a visit there, when even Oulton elicits complaints about being "too far north". I suppose I should try Castle Combe and Thruxton sometime before I get too old (too late, do I hear you cry? ) but though CSCC did/will go there this year the dreaded virus (Back on topic!) has put the mockers on our racing this year.
Old 28 Sep 2020, 11:26 (Ref:4007156)   #903
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The Silverstone national may not be the most exciting or challenging circuit, but watching the BTCC coverage yesterday it does provide plenty of good action, at times it’s almost like an oval race with the packs of cars you get. It makes it different from other circuits and layouts, which is a good thing about the circuits in the country. They offer a good bit of variety and they certainly ain’t the cookie cutters you get in other countries
Old 28 Sep 2020, 15:30 (Ref:4007202)   #904
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I'm sure we all have favourite and less favourite places, coloured by whether we are driving, snapping marshalling or spectating. I enjoyed racing at Rockingham - possibly because it was different - but by heaven it was soul-less. Silverstone National is a bit boring, but I quite like the International.....picturesque it ain't, though. Brands Indy makes me dizzy....I know its a "classic" but I can't be bothered dragging myself the length of the country (and the M25) to go round in small circles...although to contradict myself I enjoy Mallory, which is equally small I did love the one race at Brands GP circuit 10 years ago - that was worth the trip!

Never warmed to Snetterton - again maybe because of its remoteness (for me), but I do like circuits which involve gradients.....so Donington, Oulton, Anglesey, Cadwell are all favourites of mine (and co-incidentally more accessible )

Croft is near enough too, and I don't dislike it, but equally it doesn't excite me. I'd love to try a race at Knockhill - I've been driven round it by Pete Richards in his Clan, which was exciting - but not many race series are prepared to contemplate a visit there, when even Oulton elicits complaints about being "too far north". I suppose I should try Castle Combe and Thruxton sometime before I get too old (too late, do I hear you cry? ) but though CSCC did/will go there this year the dreaded virus (Back on topic!) has put the mockers on our racing this year.
Scottish Classic Sports and Saloons would make you welcome as a guest competitor, Richard.
Your Alfa would be eligible in future classics class.
Old 28 Sep 2020, 18:07 (Ref:4007238)   #905
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The Silverstone national may not be the most exciting or challenging circuit, but watching the BTCC coverage yesterday it does provide plenty of good action, at times it’s almost like an oval race with the packs of cars you get.
Yes it does. It's a good circuit for racing and I always enjoy watching Silverstone races on TV, when you can fully appreciate the awesome sweeps of Backetts, the slow corners, fast straights, the Club complex.

But this debate was about what circuits are like to visit as a spectator.

BTW you didn't answer the question about other circuits you have personally visited which are better or worse than Silverstone.
Old 28 Sep 2020, 19:19 (Ref:4007245)   #906
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Never warmed to Snet! somewhat unsurprising IMO since it's always bl..dy freezing being so close to Siberia although Knockhill takes some beating in that regard but the viewing is superb. As a spectator, Donington, Cadwell and Oulton are great but my goodness Anglesey requires some serious legwork! must be incredible to drive along with Cadwell my personal favourite.
Old 28 Sep 2020, 22:02 (Ref:4007275)   #907
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Never warmed to Snet! somewhat unsurprising IMO since it's always bl..dy freezing being so close to Siberia although Knockhill takes some beating in that regard but the viewing is superb. As a spectator, Donington, Cadwell and Oulton are great but my goodness Anglesey requires some serious legwork! must be incredible to drive along with Cadwell my personal favourite.

Anglesey is awesome, with the only caveat that admiring the beauty of Snowdon as you start the return trip towards the pits can be slightly distracting as you approach the corkscrew

@ Malcolm Smith - tempting, but as I share the Alfa with its owner in our CSCC series he might not want to let me loose with it I do have a cunning plan involving a 75 TS that I've had for years, however.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 10:52 (Ref:4007355)   #908
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
@ Malcolm Smith - tempting, but as I share the Alfa with its owner in our CSCC series he might not want to let me loose with it I do have a cunning plan involving a 75 TS that I've had for years, however.
What's this Richard?

Have you been keeping secrets from us?

I think we should be told!
Old 29 Sep 2020, 10:59 (Ref:4007356)   #909
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I do have a cunning plan involving a 75 TS that I've had for years, however.
Go on, Richard, do it. The world needs more Alfas racing
Old 29 Sep 2020, 21:40 (Ref:4007466)   #910
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
What's this Richard?

Have you been keeping secrets from us?

I think we should be told!

I bought this 75 TS from Ebay years ago - it had been prepared by some guy as a trackday car - rebuilt engine and box, stripped interior, caged etc, but only used for one trackday then parked up at the back of the owners premises for 13 years before I bought it as his general car prep work got in the way.......on the way back from collecting it, Steve and I called in to see the 75 V6 that Dave Messenger had been running in the Alfa Championship, which he was selling as he was moving into a 156 TS. So Steve bought the V6 and as it was an up-and-running race car, that's what we've used. The TS has sat in my unit for another few years....it must be 20 years since it turned a wheel in anger, now, so I should do something with it, If I can dig my way through the other stuff in the unit......I'm a lot better at buying things than selling them (Edit: Just checked and I bought it in April 2012, so its well over 20 years since it was used....... )
Old 30 Sep 2020, 07:19 (Ref:4007515)   #911
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I bought this 75 TS from Ebay years ago - it had been prepared by some guy as a trackday car - rebuilt engine and box, stripped interior, caged etc, but only used for one trackday then parked up at the back of the owners premises for 13 years before I bought it as his general car prep work got in the way.......on the way back from collecting it, Steve and I called in to see the 75 V6 that Dave Messenger had been running in the Alfa Championship, which he was selling as he was moving into a 156 TS. So Steve bought the V6 and as it was an up-and-running race car, that's what we've used. The TS has sat in my unit for another few years....it must be 20 years since it turned a wheel in anger, now, so I should do something with it, If I can dig my way through the other stuff in the unit......I'm a lot better at buying things than selling them (Edit: Just checked and I bought it in April 2012, so its well over 20 years since it was used....... )
A rather lovely 75 1.8 Turbo QV sold for £24,080 at Classics auction on Saturday.

Was it you passing by, by any chance?
Old 30 Sep 2020, 07:29 (Ref:4007518)   #912
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
A rather lovely 75 1.8 Turbo QV sold for £24,080 at Classics auction on Saturday.

Was it you passing by, by any chance?
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=99&t=1892486
Old 30 Sep 2020, 07:45 (Ref:4007524)   #913
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
He's a lucky man - or rather his wife is a lucky lady! Wonder who gets to drive it most...
Old 30 Sep 2020, 08:16 (Ref:4007532)   #914
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back o the coronavirus...i did my first full MSUK weekend with masks Saturday/Sunday just gone. It really was no problem. I cannot understand those who kick up a fuss about it, compared to some of tjhe draconian measures we're seeing it's a minor inconvenience in order to keep racing.

Actually, the "draconian" 10:00pm curfew in the hotel probably saved me Saturday night. I'd had "some" beer and was lining up for "some" more, it was a very, very good job I was ushered off to bed
Old 19 Oct 2020, 12:21 (Ref:4011495)   #915
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Not strictly motorsport, but an event run under MSUK permit...

The 2020 Veteran Car Run has now been cancelled..
Old 19 Oct 2020, 14:21 (Ref:4011504)   #916
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well I guess something had to give, a shame, but it's not the end of the world. We've had cancellations of annual events in the past, sometimes circumstances can get in the way, we'll see if the Veteran Car Run can come back in 2021, would be a shame to lose it permantly
Old 19 Oct 2020, 15:09 (Ref:4011519)   #917
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes our very own Colin McKay was entered in an old vintage truck. This event always clashes with Walter Hayes other wise I would of loved the chance to of gone with him. Its a box that needs ticking.
Old 19 Oct 2020, 16:00 (Ref:4011523)   #918
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well I guess something had to give, a shame, but it's not the end of the world. We've had cancellations of annual events in the past, sometimes circumstances can get in the way, we'll see if the Veteran Car Run can come back in 2021, would be a shame to lose it permantly

It will be back. Slightly unfortunate for Goose again though as this is another event they run (for the RAC Club who own the run) on the back of the SC, Formula Student and Regent Street Motor Show cancellations.

Tricky time to be in the live events business and 2021 not shaping up to be much easier IMO.
Old 19 Oct 2020, 21:25 (Ref:4011555)   #919
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've done the commercial run a couple of times with a 1924 Thornycroft and was very much looking forward to doing the real thing in a Darracq although it was going to be a much smaller affair than usual. Oh well, if there's an invite there's always next year. I'll put my Damart undies back in the drawer for now
Old 20 Oct 2020, 08:08 (Ref:4011612)   #920
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An interesting development over on FB, where someone has highlighted that some kart circuits are refusing entries from drivers in Tier 3 areas.

He's complaining that it's not fair on drivers living there, the races should be run as non championship. My thoughts are that it's hard but a fact of life. There's many "unfair" reasons that a driver can't take part (illness/budget/mechanicals etc), this is just another of them. 2020 is a disaster anyway, not winning a plastic cup is the least of them.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 20 Oct 2020, 08:14 (Ref:4011615)   #921
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
An interesting development over on FB, where someone has highlighted that some kart circuits are refusing entries from drivers in Tier 3 areas.

He's complaining that it's not fair on drivers living there, the races should be run as non championship. My thoughts are that it's hard but a fact of life. There's many "unfair" reasons that a driver can't take part (illness/budget/mechanicals etc), this is just another of them. 2020 is a disaster anyway, not winning a plastic cup is the least of them.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Points all totally well put.
(hadn't we better put in a temporary icon for the elbow greet?!)
Old 20 Oct 2020, 08:42 (Ref:4011618)   #922
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
The loss of the commercially run events may not be a bad thing if it allows clubs to get back into organising similar events. I think in recent years the whole classic events scene has become over commercialised with all sorts of people exploiting it. One of the big issues for motorsport is that it is a very rich sport with plenty of people taking that money out. The sport itself in terms of our governing body, is one of the poorest sports in the UK, whereas Rugby Union for example actually runs its major events and ploughed the money (£111m last year) back into the sport.
Old 20 Oct 2020, 09:17 (Ref:4011622)   #923
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
But the RFU is essentially broke?
Old 20 Oct 2020, 09:47 (Ref:4011626)   #924
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
But the RFU is essentially broke?
In 2018/19, their pre-investment profit was £115.4m. They invested £100.5m in Professional Rugby and Rugby development, leaving an operating profit of £14.9m, and an overall profit of £3.9m.

'Chief executive Bill Sweeney has revealed the perilous outlook that will see a £122million reduction in revenue for the forthcoming Autumn Nations Cup and £138million for the Six Nations.

The impact of these are losses of £46million and £60million respectively, forcing the world’s richest union to request a bailout.'

So they're not broke yet - but may be if Twickenham continues to be impacted. But what is clear is that the investment in Rugby definitely will decline.

I think the point being made though was that the governing body (in normal times) invests 90% of profit back into the sport, which is not seen in Motorsport. As a comparison from what I can tell, in 2017 Motorsport UK had an income of £7.7m, from which £34k was invested in Club support and £350k was invested as 'Development'. In the same year, £440k was spent on 'Committees' and £473k on 'Consultancy and professional services'.
Old 20 Oct 2020, 10:31 (Ref:4011629)   #925
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
It will be back. Slightly unfortunate for Goose again though as this is another event they run (for the RAC Club who own the run) on the back of the SC, Formula Student and Regent Street Motor Show cancellations.

Tricky time to be in the live events business and 2021 not shaping up to be much easier IMO.
The VCR could actually be the one that really helps Goose - the late cancellation means Goose's contract is not varied and they will be paid in full.

The entrants fees are forfeit