Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Jun 2002, 11:32 (Ref:323492)   #1
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Touring cars at Bathurst 24 Hour?

In this weeks Auto Action there is an interview regarding the Bathurst 24 Hour.

Apprently there is a category (see news section) for 'British Touring Cars'.

But in the interview the bloke says that they have had enquiries from Team Nordauto, which are the factory ETCC Alfa Romeo team. Nordauto have nothing to do with the BTCC, as far as I know.

So what is happening with regards the Bathurst 24 Hour and touring car entries?

Are both BTC Touring (BTCC) and Super 2000 (ETCC) cars eligible?
Old 28 Jun 2002, 11:55 (Ref:323508)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they are basically of the opinion you can race anything, but if you are a one off, they will put you into the category higher than what you belong in.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 13:38 (Ref:323600)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as i know, AA got it wrong, Group 4 in for Super 2000, not British Touring Cars. Having said that though, if you turned up with a BTC Tourer, i'm sure you would be allowed a start.

Be great if Nordauto did show up, hopefully some of the BMW's will follow as BMW is offering support (Carly Motors, Ravaglia etc...), maybe even prodrive could bring out one or two of their Volvo's. Question has to be asked though, would any of the ETCC teams, particularly the leading one's, be willing to race only for a class win.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 13:47 (Ref:323611)   #4
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this looks like its going to be good any ideas on TV coverage?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 28 Jun 2002, 22:47 (Ref:323975)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I read, are they negotiating with a 'commercial' network? Surely it wouldn't be 10, and I doubt 9, maybe 7?
Old 28 Jun 2002, 23:44 (Ref:323995)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, Seven was what I had in mind too Crash - know they've lost the AFL and don't have any regular major sports they might want to revive the links with Bathurst ... but then again, the Super Touring affair was a sorry one for 7 - anyone remember the 1999 race being red flagged, allegedly because Get Smart was scheduled on telly??

I hope this race works - to be honest, I think anyone who reckons there'll be 80 cars/300 drivers is in fairy land. I honestly can't imagine that sort of numbers. And what about grid capacity? If they had 80 cars they'd be lining up in the chase...

Regarding the last overnight race - the Bathurst 12 hours - what kind of crowds did that pull in?
Old 29 Jun 2002, 02:06 (Ref:324040)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
The crowds weren't fantastic, and Procar has been fairly frank that they don't expect too much.

WRT to the start, they have said that they may start them in 2 packs with a rolling start- fast cars 1/2 a lap ahead of the slow cars etc..

They might be able to screw together 50 local cars if they are lucky, then they would be relying on the international entries. It just depends on how many cashed up drivers there are out there...
Old 29 Jun 2002, 10:03 (Ref:324155)   #8
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
The crowds weren't fantastic, and Procar has been fairly frank that they don't expect too much.
Not really a surprise I suppose - it's the TV deals that count. The Super Tourers races pulled in - what - 15,000 spectators, so I guess that's a fair figure to target.
Quote:
WRT to the start, they have said that they may start them in 2 packs with a rolling start- fast cars 1/2 a lap ahead of the slow cars etc..
Guess that solves the grid problem - but having 80 cars around that track isn't gonna be pretty...imagine if the bloke in first stacks it somewhere at the top in the dark...
Quote:
They might be able to screw together 50 local cars if they are lucky, then they would be relying on the international entries. It just depends on how many cashed up drivers there are out there...
Yeah, well I guess if they were able to scrape together 60-70 drivers for the Super Tourer race in 1999, I don't imagine it'd be much of a problem.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 11:38 (Ref:324181)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In 1997 the AMP 1000 gathered a crowd of 21, 000 people.
In 1998 the AMP 1000 gathered a crowd of 16, 000 people.
Those yars were some great times
Old 29 Jun 2002, 12:24 (Ref:324197)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I went to the ST 500 in 1999 and the crowd was miniscule. I stood just before McPhillamy with my father and Thursday and Friday we were completely alone, not one other spectator. It's difficult to estimate crwod figures on a track that big, but I'mmsure it was less than 5000.

I think the 24 hour organisers are getting desperate, they realise how ambitious this project is and there just aren't enough cars out there with the budget needed to run an event of this magnitude. I think anyone with a late model car that isn't a V8 Supercar could probaly get a run, just to fill up the grid.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 12:30 (Ref:324201)   #11
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if we take the HQ up if Ross will let us run!
Old 29 Jun 2002, 12:37 (Ref:324203)   #12
Michael H
Racer

I'm not so sure.

There are so many Euro's keen to race at Bathurst now.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 12:40 (Ref:324204)   #13
Michael H
Racer

Also, it would be great to see some ETCC cars out here.

Given some assistance from BMW, I am sure Ravaglia Motorsport and Schnitzer would make the trip with their ETCC 320i's.

As for Volvo, I am not sure what their new MD, Mr Alwin Popken, thinks about motorsport. Certainl;y, they are not using the ETCC S60 in their local advertising.

You can count out the Nissan team.

Alfa? I'm sure Nordauto would be keen. But would Alfa Australia be?
Old 29 Jun 2002, 12:49 (Ref:324208)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure there are many European teams who would LIKE to come out here for this event, but it would be frightfully expensive and I don't know where they will get the money from. I'm sure most European companies would realise litle benefit from sponsoring a team in this event. I admire Ross Palmer for his courage and vision, but sadly i think this event is doomed to fail.
Old 30 Jun 2002, 10:03 (Ref:324497)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In regards to the TV, does anyone know what major sporting events (Union, Tennis etc..) are on the weekend of November 23/24 and who is covering them. That will give a clue to who the telecaster is, because they said they moved it a week forward due to the TV stations previous committments.

On 7, would they cancel Sportswatch.

- Race Crowds, i will be there, so there wil be one spectator at least. I would be suprised if the '99 500 attracted more than 2 to 3 thousand. Funniest part of the coverage was the computerised bill board they put on the mainstraight to block the vacany grandstand on TV

I don't think 83 cars will be much of a problem, 64 cars used to be handled fine, so it's only another 20, although DNQ's point about a midnight crash makes sense. I like the idea about trying to limit the amount of safety car periods.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 00:48 (Ref:324816)   #16
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
In regards to the TV, does anyone know what major sporting events (Union, Tennis etc..) are on the weekend of November 23/24 and who is covering them. That will give a clue to who the telecaster is, because they said they moved it a week forward due to the TV stations previous committments.
I was thinking the same thing myself - it's not going to be Channel 10, that is almost certain, nor ABC or SBS, leaves Channel 7 and 9, guess we'll have to find out if there is a Rugby International or Cricket test match on that weekend, because the NRL, Commonwealth Games, Tennis, AFL etc will all be over by then.

Quote:
On 7, would they cancel Sportswatch.
Well, it's been said there will be 2.5 hours coverage at the start and 3 at the end, so there would be no need if indeed the race starts at a time outside Sportswatch's 4-6 timeslot. Indeed, if the race started at say 1pm, Sportswatch could provide race updates. My money's on 7 to get the TV deal.

Quote:
Race Crowds, i will be there, so there wil be one spectator at least. I would be suprised if the '99 500 attracted more than 2 to 3 thousand.
Races late in the season don't normally attract as big a crowds as other events, also, remember the old enduro championship, no one ever turned up except for the 1000. I guess a crowd of 15,000 is reasonable.

Quote:
I don't think 83 cars will be much of a problem, 64 cars used to be handled fine, so it's only another 20, although DNQ's point about a midnight crash makes sense. I like the idea about trying to limit the amount of safety car periods.
Well, it's the old quality over quantity thing, isn't it - in reality, who is going to notice the difference between 50 cars and 83 cars? They cut down the Bathurst grid size last year for the big event, and no one noticed - afterall, the TV cameras are only on the frontrunnes aren't they....

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
I'm sure most European companies would realise litle benefit from sponsoring a team in this event. I admire Ross Palmer for his courage and vision, but sadly i think this event is doomed to fail.
Unfortunantly, I agree with every word you just said. It's the same as the Super Tourer races a few years ago, Australia is just too far to travel for too little benefit.

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael H
Also, it would be great to see some ETCC cars out here.
In all honesty, I'd be surprised to see a SIGNLE ETCC car here for the race, especially as they wouldn't be fighting outright for the lead. Why travel 20,000km to race for 1st place in Group 5 or whatever, when you've got no competition and you're only 40th outright.

But alas, I want it to work, it's a great concept on paper, if it's as good as the 1997-98 Super Tourer races were, then I'll be happy.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 04:55 (Ref:325585)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
re- clashes with other sporting events- late November, there shouldn't be much going on- after the football season, and probably just before the cricket season really starts cranking over, although the first test might be on that weekend....

Sportswatch? Pfftttt... what would they be watching anyways?
Old 2 Jul 2002, 11:26 (Ref:325780)   #18
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Procar has released the list of vehicles that are eligable, here it is ( stolen from www.racetime.com.au )

Group One - FIA Grand Touring (N-GT), British GTO, All Japan GT (Group Two), Australian Nations Cup Championship (Group One, including Lamborghini Trophy).

Group Two - Porsche Super Cup (2002).

Group Three - Australian Nations Cup (Group Two).

Group Four - FIA Super 2000 touring cars (2002).

Group Five - Australian GT Performance Championship touring cars (2002 and 2003 specification).

Group Six - FIA Group N touring cars (3001 c.c. and over).

Group Seven - FIA Group N touring cars (2500 c.c. to 3000 c.c.).

Group Eight - FIA Super Production and New Zealand Schedule S touring cars (weight adjusted).

Group Nine - Australian GT Production Car Championship touring cars (V8 Touring, 6-Cylinder Touring, Sports Touring).

Group Ten - Cars invited by PROCAR Australia.

Group ten is for when the feild isnt quite as big as they want it to be and all of a sudden you can run a sports sedan or HQ or Gp N torana

I thought i remembered seeing on the procar website that SBS were telecasting the 24 hour as well as the procar series, but i could be wrong.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 2 Jul 2002, 11:41 (Ref:325795)   #19
Morris 1100
Veteran

I was having a look at Wilmingtons Jaguar on the weekend(The old red group A car) and it was having its first run in years because it is getting ready for the 24 hour!
What a wreck!!!! It looked like it had been hacked to bits to make a Sports Sedan and they had to weld in new floors, rear inner guards and things the front guards are fiberglass the dash was missing......
And in true Wilmington form it caught fire!
No damage though!

Might have to give Ross P a call and let him know the HQ is ready.
Old 3 Jul 2002, 11:11 (Ref:326405)   #20
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
The red Wilmington Jag......

the car that was meant to be producing more horsepower that Walkinshaw's Jags just before Bathurst 1985.

Although it will seem very much out of place, i hope it gets a run, i love GpA

Last edited by racer69; 3 Jul 2002 at 11:14.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 15:03 (Ref:330249)   #21
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it looks like someone wants to bring a few BTC-P cars in

http://203.22.127.46/forum/topic.asp...ng+For+Drivers

Last edited by StuiE; 9 Jul 2002 at 15:07.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 9 Jul 2002, 15:18 (Ref:330260)   #22
petrolheader
Rookie

petrolheader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys,why is it that Australians like to knock!! I know RossP and he has very rarely taken on anything in his life that has failed and particularly not this one [the 24hour].
I know he has been plannong this event for 4 years and was always cautious about the right place[Bathurst]and the right time [2002].Any earlier and the PROCAR organization could not have coped with it..
I was talking to him a few weeks back and expressed some of the same concerns privately about numbers etc.etc.
That is why it is a truly diverse field in terms of groups[10 of them,and 5 international categories.
They have got the nod from a minimum of 20 "international teams at this stage heavily biassed towards "group one outright."
You must remember that PORSCHE alone has constructed over 70 Porsche GT3R,s and GT3 RS,s.These cars are ideally set up for endurance events and the team owners would like nothing more than to compete in an event that will definitely be televised not only locally [australia]live ,but also in Europe,and Asia.
Bathurst is recognized overseas as one of the great 3 icon tracks of the world [the other 2 being The Nurburgring and Spa].Bathurst is steeped in history and most European drivers and teams that you speak to love the idea of having the opportunity to race "downunder" in the northern hemisphere winter ,when most of their racing is finished by the latest early October.
At most other 24 hour events these cars have to dodge superquick Prototypes and they vie for winning a class that is 3 down the toem pole[from the top].
At the Nurburgring alone over 650 drivers stump up for around 215 grid spots[24km circuit].
There are literally thousands of drivers that have competed in the last decade in specialty 24 hour events.Those events are a different "ball of wax" to mini endurances of 6 hours for example.
Again on the numbers bathurst had full local grids for the 12 hour events in the early 90,s [55 cars],and there really was no organization like PROCAR in existence to foster that.They literally "came out of the woodwork."
As for tips on the televison coverage & is covering the Australian Open Golf on their original planned date and as PROCAR has an interest in a television production company AVE,I think they might have figured out a cost effective solution to take the risk out of it for a major network.
The new PROCAR day to day chief "John Cowley" has extensive media background and is also chairman of the Indy gold coast event.
I am not necessarily defending PROCAR here,but anyone who bets against Ross Palmer has usually come off second best.
In short I believe he has done his homework on this one and it will in time become a major international event up there with the F1 grand prix and Indy.
For interests sake 5 yars ago 40,000 germans turned out to attend the nurburgring 24 hour.This year the crowd numbers were 120,000.
THE FORMATS ARE SIMILAR.
It might take a few years ,but i wouldn,t doom it just yet.
PROCAR if you watch them builds bases without a lot of hoopla and fanfare,but they get the job done.
IN 1995 they had one series with 9 teams,today they have 5 series with 140 teams.
The regular events they stage are excting action packed and well managed.
For those of you who don,t follow them check out their websites at www.procar.com.au ,and www.v8 BRutes.com [interesting forum in there on the ute racing series which is full on and a particularly entertaining no holds barred debate going on at the moment between teams,drivers and fans over their reverse grid ballots].
Also according to my sources they will be launching their 24 hour website tomorrow at www.Bathurst24hr.com .
Lets not let the rest of the world see that we are a bunch of knockers let,s enthusiastically get behind them so that they have a good shot at success.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 23:10 (Ref:330616)   #23
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Petrolheader- welcome aboard

I muist admit a lot of my initial worry was about the date, and now that is sorted, it should have a bit better chance. It should free up a few more local racers from Vic and Qld who have been saving up their pennies.

Next drama was the officials, but with the freeing up of the date, that problem should be averted. Then there is the drama with accomodating them etc, and from what I gather, that should be sorted.

Then there was the problem of accomodating 83 cars in pit lane, but apparently it is being extended around the corner (?).

Then we have the issue of getting the cars out here- will the teams be paying for it, or will there be some form of assistance?

Now with the Brock story floating around, hopefully it will pick up a bit of momentum.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 08:11 (Ref:330811)   #24
Morris 1100
Veteran

I have nothing against the 24 hour except the late announcement of it.
It deserves to be a success but CAMS will do it's best to hinder any hopes of long term stability.
I nearly drove in the 12 hour once but CAMS and a few other forces stoped me (but I did get my name in the programme!)
Old 10 Jul 2002, 09:12 (Ref:330852)   #25
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Morris 1100
I have nothing against the 24 hour except the late announcement of it.
It deserves to be a success but CAMS will do it's best to hinder any hopes of long term stability.
I nearly drove in the 12 hour once but CAMS and a few other forces stoped me (but I did get my name in the programme!)
What forces would they have been Morris