Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Sep 2009, 00:32 (Ref:2533491)   #1
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
$20,000,000.00 for Townsville!!!

The front page of the Townsville Bulletin this morning reports the V8 Round there recently generated an extra $20 Million for the North Queensland economy, "DOUBLE" what the State Government had originally forecast.

Premier Anna Bligh was quoted as saying the event had "exceeded all expectations". While Mayor Les Tyrell described the v8's as a, "spectacular success".

The Bulletin itself is quoted saying "It’s a brilliant result in anyone’s language, and a wonderful platform to build on in years to come"

Seems like everyone The Premier, the Sports minister, the Mayor, the CEO of Townsville Enterprise Limited, The local MP Mandy Johnston, hotel and motel owners the locals, in fact just about everyone is talking up the massive success.

Funnily enough not a single quote or statistic is offered by either TC or V8SA, perhaps the shear success speaks for itself eh...
Old 3 Sep 2009, 02:00 (Ref:2533508)   #2
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
An economic impact report prepared by Strategic Facts, a company commissioned by the Government to report back on the financial benefits of the event,
That's strange, why would the QLD goverment hire a company to do a report on the financial benefits of the Townsville race, when the QLD Auditor-General is going to do one anyway?

Old 3 Sep 2009, 02:10 (Ref:2533509)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also $20,000,000 is brilliant but do we know how much the event actually cost. This would be the best indicator (against the $20M) on the success of the event
Old 3 Sep 2009, 02:23 (Ref:2533510)   #4
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do hope it is a good result and I do hope that it leads to a permanent race track in Queensland's north

But as always, I'll wait for the full story
Old 3 Sep 2009, 03:34 (Ref:2533517)   #5
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil View Post
Funnily enough not a single quote or statistic is offered by either TC or V8SA, perhaps the shear success speaks for itself eh...
Tickle me Pink Bazil, is that a tacit agreement that the Grand Poobah may tell the odd porky?
Old 3 Sep 2009, 04:29 (Ref:2533531)   #6
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Tickle me Pink Bazil, is that a tacit agreement that the Grand Poobah may tell the odd porky?
Not at all Sizzle, just highlighting the fact that the many qoutes and endorsements of this event are coming from all sectors and not just from the series owners.

Its a waste of time trying to convince the neg brigade (those that would argue with a dictionary) about the positives of the sport. I prefer to talk up the sport I love and this event and the story today deserve talking up.
Old 3 Sep 2009, 06:22 (Ref:2533553)   #7
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you take the visitors to the North for the event as determined by the ticket sale post codes, the the 20mill equates to 131.00 per day per person. As stated on the local radio this morning in an interview.

The race is here to stay.
Old 3 Sep 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2533565)   #8
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
considering the World Rally are claiming $100 Mill benefit I think they left a few zero's off Townsville Bazil.
Old 3 Sep 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2533612)   #9
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ronke View Post
considering the World Rally are claiming $100 Mill benefit I think they left a few zero's off Townsville Bazil.
WRC is much much bigger worldwide than the supercommodore series
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 3 Sep 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2533618)   #10
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
I do hope it is a good result and I do hope that it leads to a permanent race track in Queensland's north
bwaaaahahahahaaaa!
Old 3 Sep 2009, 08:53 (Ref:2533620)   #11
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look here.

QLD government put in $2.5m, for the $19.34m return.
Old 3 Sep 2009, 09:46 (Ref:2533642)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaya View Post
That's strange, why would the QLD goverment hire a company to do a report on the financial benefits of the Townsville race, when the QLD Auditor-General is going to do one anyway?

Wouldn't the auditor general audit the financial statements, it would rely on experts to review the economic impact.

This is what happens in SA for the clipsal
Old 3 Sep 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2533701)   #13
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now I don't want to burst bubbles as I travelled up there this year and it was fantastic.
And am going back in 2010.

BUT how on earth can they say Instead of the 70,000 motorsport fans the event was expected to attract, more than 168,000 people visited Townsville...???

The total number of attendees for the weekend was a tad over the 168000 mark. That doesn't mean that many people went to Townsville.

If that's the case, my son and I are 6 people.................
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 3 Sep 2009, 12:27 (Ref:2533746)   #14
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Now I don't want to burst bubbles as I travelled up there this year and it was fantastic.
And am going back in 2010.

BUT how on earth can they say Instead of the 70,000 motorsport fans the event was expected to attract, more than 168,000 people visited Townsville...???

The total number of attendees for the weekend was a tad over the 168000 mark. That doesn't mean that many people went to Townsville.

If that's the case, my son and I are 6 people.................
Gezz Baz it took AP to bring up the numbers!

It was a hoot of a weekend though. I might just have to go back AP and visit a couple of those Palmer St pubs with ya. Just hope the German GP isn't on and MW only has 15 laps to go when the pub shuts!!!!! Closest thing to a riot I have seen for a while.
Old 5 Sep 2009, 01:46 (Ref:2534763)   #15
bazil
Veteran

Wrong story

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Gezz Baz it took AP to bring up the numbers!
That’s because the story and paper I referred to was the Townsville Bulletin and not The Age which Banksie quoted. There was no claim of 170,000 visitors by anyone in the article I was quoting. In fact I should have mentioned that one of the biggest bonuses appears to be that visitors to Townsville actually stayed earlier and left later than was expected creating many thousands of extra hotel/motel nights.

When bagging or praising something it’s only fair to quote apples with apples so the number quoted by the AGE is their stuff up and not part of the facts or part of the stats quoted originally in this thread.

Sizz, you will also notice that the Age does not even provide a source for their quoted number.
Old 5 Sep 2009, 08:01 (Ref:2534815)   #16
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil View Post
That’s because the story and paper I referred to was the Townsville Bulletin and not The Age which Banksie quoted. There was no claim of 170,000 visitors by anyone in the article I was quoting. In fact I should have mentioned that one of the biggest bonuses appears to be that visitors to Townsville actually stayed earlier and left later than was expected creating many thousands of extra hotel/motel nights.

When bagging or praising something it’s only fair to quote apples with apples so the number quoted by the AGE is their stuff up and not part of the facts or part of the stats quoted originally in this thread.

Sizz, you will also notice that the Age does not even provide a source for their quoted number.
Just stirring the pot Baz. Townsville went over a treat. I liken it to when they came to Darwin, we were starved of high level motorsport so the masses were always going to show. The friend I stayed with in Townsville left Darwin a couple of months before the first visit. They were jumping out of their skin for it. The house was decorated and it was almost Grand Final atmosphere to be anywhere near their house. They weren't the only ones either. A semi remote region like both Darwin and Townsvile will always work as they are usually starved of quality events. I think the size of the success surprised a few though.