Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Jan 2008, 04:44 (Ref:2102333)   #1
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New V8 Touring Car Category 2008

A new category for old cars (with plenty of grunt) will be at Australia’s premier motor racing circuits in 2008, and the cars will be very familiar to fans.
The V8 Touring Car category grew from the knowledge that AU Falcon and VT/VX Commodore V8 Supercars will soon not be eligible to compete in the V8Supercar Fujitsu Series, so Saloon Car founder and stalwart Les Morrall put the idea forward.
It’s now official, with CAMS approval and the blessing of the V8 Supercar management. Les Morrall’s Tri-State Racing is responsible for overseeing the category, and Shannons Nationals Series chief Rob Curkpatrick has been appointed to manage the category.

“We have maintained a close working relationship with V8 Supercars Australia. They obviously see the benefits in what we are doing and have been very supportive”, said Rob Curkpatrick.
“Shannons Insurance has agreed to sponsor the Series, which is huge vote of confidence and a very positive start for the category”.

Les Morrall has been working on the idea for a while. “There is clearly a big gap between the current V8 Supercar categories and Historic Touring cars, and there are plenty of cars around that are looking to race, so we have created a category to bring them together, to provide competitive racing and a great spectacle.”

The category is based on de-registered Falcon and Commodore V8 Supercars which have been raced at some time since 1997. However, BA Falcons and VY/VE Commodores will not be allowed at this stage. As the cars are former V8 Supercars, the technical regulations are largely based on their respective V8Supercar requirements.
Only Falcon and Commodore vehicles that have a registered history with AVESCO/VESA will be recognised, and documentation will be needed to establish a clear line of history for each car, so obviously no new cars can be built for the Series.

“We have had enquiries from competitors wanting to run them in the original livery too, so there is already interest from a historical perspective” said Curkpatrick.

“Not only will the series provide a home for ‘retired’ and/or historically significant ex-V8 Supercars, it will enable competitors to continue to race these exciting cars, and just as importantly, it will open up another entry point for young drivers to race these iconic race cars.”

It is important to note that the cars cannot be referred to as V8 Supercars. Their CAMS log book will say Sports Sedan, but the cars will be known as V8 Touring Cars and they will run in the Shannons V8 Touring Car National Series.
The cars will run with a new controlled rear wing (same for Ford and Holden), and controlled camshaft, and the rev limiter will reduce the rpm by 500. Existing single stud 17inch wheels will be used with controlled slick tyres.

The category will be subject to strict technical requirements, and will run in the CAMS sanctioned Shannons Nationals Series. Frank Lowndes has been appointed as the category’s Technical Consultant to oversee the development of the technical regulations and to work with the CAMS technical people to ensure that the cars are as they should be.
“In relative terms we want to minimise the cost of running and maintaining the cars, provide a ‘place to race’ in a relaxed but safe environment, and ensure pro-active technical compliance to keep the racing as close as possible”, said Curkpatrick.

The inaugural year (2008) for the Shannons V8 Touring Car National Series currently includes four rounds, but interested competitors are requesting an additional round, so it will most likely be extended to a 5 round series. All rounds will be with the Shannons Nationals to ensure industry support, a stable format and consistency of officials, series personnel, and TV on Speedweek/Fox.

Each round will consist of optional Friday practice sessions, Saturday will be practice, qualifying and Race 1, and Sunday will have two races….and there won’t be a reverse grid race.
“We are very encouraged by the response already, and we haven’t even made it public”, said Curkpatrick. “I have even had a few people looking to buy cars to run in the Series".

2008 Shannons V8 Touring Car Schedule
May 17-18 Mallala
July 12-13 Eastern Creek
August 9-10 Phillip Island
August 30-31 Oran Park
Possible addition:
September 21-21 Symmons Plains
or November 29-30 Sandown

Interested competitors should contact Rob Curkpatrick
0414 294153
Old 9 Jan 2008, 04:59 (Ref:2102338)   #2
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kerri - obviously the thought is there but seriously...another V8 category? and only for old, pre-raced, pre-loved and (dare I say it (pre-wrecked) V8 Supercars being eligible.

How many of these cars are actually in a condition suitable for full-on racing?

Yes - I'll probably get jumped on for saying this - but does the sport need yet another V8 clone category?
Old 9 Jan 2008, 05:15 (Ref:2102339)   #3
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No idea NewsStalker, I'm just the messenger
Old 9 Jan 2008, 05:23 (Ref:2102340)   #4
dumbrell_fan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria
dumbrell_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a rivial to the AASA series - Touring Car Challenge? Sure seems like a good idea and will be very interesting to see which cars show up on the grid at round 1.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 05:53 (Ref:2102344)   #5
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Peter Nightingale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri
No idea NewsStalker, I'm just the messenger
Don't SHOOT messenger, i am only carrying the news........
Old 9 Jan 2008, 06:14 (Ref:2102346)   #6
888_Fan
Racer

888_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering AU's are still allowed in Fujitsu in 2008, I wouldn't expect grids as big as those in 2009.

I think this will really be the category to watch in years to come.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 06:39 (Ref:2102351)   #7
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh joy, another taxi category...how many is that now???? I am with NewsStalker - this is not needed, it will just make the spread thinner and divert money away from other catagories...
Old 9 Jan 2008, 06:41 (Ref:2102352)   #8
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So a guy like Bob Gill has another place to run his AU.

Cool.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 07:57 (Ref:2102372)   #9
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not with its current engine though.

Given the amount of money some of the more historically significant Supercars are now fetching, it seems unlikely that the series will be of much interest to the owners of these cars. I can't see the ex Lowndes green eyed monster coming out to play, for example.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 08:53 (Ref:2102395)   #10
Suttory
Racer

Australia
Too far away from a racetrack !
Suttory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rekon if people wanted to run their EL/VS/VT/AU's they would head straight for the Touring Car Challenge.

"You could call it Falcon Unbelievable!"
Old 9 Jan 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2102463)   #11
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO
Pros:
- old V8supercars don't get butchered up, they retain their heritage
- even playing field with control tyres and wing
- costs kept lower with reduced revs and different cam (presumably not as wild which will keep maintenance costs down too)
- costs kept down because no one can go out and build a purpose built "V8TouringCar" using all the trick bits etc.
- can be a good starting point for young guys to get a feel for a V8Supercar style racecar without the expense of going Fujitsu or the no-holds-barred racing in the TCC.
- potential for guys to run in authentic liveries for their cars
- attracts more spectator interest in the Shannons Nationals

Cons:
- we do have a lot of V8 based categories already
- *potential* to be filled with gentleman racers
- drives the price of older cars up due to only acceptance of existing vehicles with a race history
Old 9 Jan 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2102490)   #12
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suttory
I rekon if people wanted to run their EL/VS/VT/AU's they would head straight for the Touring Car Challenge.
Are they strill allowing ANY engine size in the TCC or have they finally stopped that?

I still ask, about this proposed 'new category' though - how many of these cars are in a race-worthy condition - by that I mean they haven't been welded, bent, re-welded and then re-bent back into shape - again and again and again and again?

Kerri - I realise you are only the messenger but someone has to be available to 'discuss' this proposed 'new category'
Old 9 Jan 2008, 11:29 (Ref:2102495)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
are there that many cars out there available to race in this series, my understanding is that many of the cars were just re-modelled (ie turned from vt to vx etc)

a nymber have been written off

still it could be fun to grab an ef and head out racing (are they allowed)
Old 9 Jan 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2102503)   #14
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would cars like the green eyed monster (as crashed by Rodney Forbes on several occassions no doubt) really be valuble? Surely an old V8 car can only be worth good money as a racing beast if has been back to the workshop (provided the team still exists) and fitted with newly machined, reliable, in-life parts of 'heritage accurate' specification?

At least it will keep the V8s in better condition than some of Triple Eight's hard work that has progressed to incomplete piles of dusty Vectra bits in sheds across Europe... http://www.supertouringregister.com/gallery/pic/742.php
http://www.supertouringregister.com/gallery/pic/14.php
http://www.supertouringregister.com/gallery/pic/729.php
Old 9 Jan 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2102510)   #15
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those links are painful to look at! Why lord why????
Old 9 Jan 2008, 12:02 (Ref:2102512)   #16
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebberForWDC
Would cars like the green eyed monster (as crashed by Rodney Forbes on several occassions no doubt) really be valuble? Surely an old V8 car can only be worth good money as a racing beast if has been back to the workshop (provided the team still exists) and fitted with newly machined, reliable, in-life parts of 'heritage accurate' specification?

At least it will keep the V8s in better condition than some of Triple Eight's hard work that has progressed to incomplete piles of dusty Vectra bits in sheds across Europe... http://www.supertouringregister.com/gallery/pic/742.php
http://www.supertouringregister.com/gallery/pic/14.php
http://www.supertouringregister.com/gallery/pic/729.php
Rodney Forbes NEVER drove the green eyed monster! It was a work of art when built and only ran a few races in Lowndes' hands. Rodney drove the ex Colourscan car and the ex SBR car.

If I had the cash, I'd be collecting Lowndes' cars. One day I suspect they will quite valuable.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 12:34 (Ref:2102522)   #17
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rodney drove an AU at the 2003 Clipsal 500, surely such a super pilot would be using no less than the best machinery in the workshop???
Old 9 Jan 2008, 14:10 (Ref:2102608)   #18
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nightingale
Don't SHOOT messenger, i am only carrying the news........

Hey PN glad to see you are still about
Old 9 Jan 2008, 14:15 (Ref:2102611)   #19
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker
Are they strill allowing ANY engine size in the TCC or have they finally stopped that? No Idea

I still ask, about this proposed 'new category' though - how many of these cars are in a race-worthy condition - by that I mean they haven't been welded, bent, re-welded and then re-bent back into shape - again and again and again and again? Same

Kerri - I realise you are only the messenger but someone has to be available to 'discuss' this proposed 'new category'
I will add info as it is received NS

Last edited by Kerri; 9 Jan 2008 at 14:16. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 9 Jan 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2102654)   #20
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, hypothetically......

A car has a huge crash, and needs to be fully rebuilt. Will that caar still be allowed to race? since it would technically be basically a new car. Suggest they cant, it would just end the hopes of a team if they aren't allowed to rebuild their car.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 17:17 (Ref:2102716)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I imagine quite a few of those cars have been rebuilt possibly several times and/or modified. Probably very few are pristine. And those that are probably would be kept that way.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2102881)   #22
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
So a guy like Bob Gill has another place to run his AU.

Cool.
Bob's car has been so substantially modified it'd cost way too much to convert back. This is one of the reasons for the category that has been in the planning since early last year (there as a post about it here) . There's quite a few cars out there that have been locked away because their owners didn't want to butcher them to fit into Sports Sedan regs.
In fact it's probably Sports Sedans that'll suffer most from this I've already spoken to a Victorian Sports Sedan competitor who's getting out of his current car to run an old Commodore in this new series.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2102937)   #23
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great stuff, more V8s. Thats what we all want, right?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 10 Jan 2008, 00:33 (Ref:2103064)   #24
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Peter Nightingale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri

Hey PN glad to see you are still about
Thanks Kerri, yes i am still alive and kicking .....
Old 10 Jan 2008, 01:45 (Ref:2103091)   #25
alfacors
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY
So, hypothetically......

A car has a huge crash, and needs to be fully rebuilt. Will that caar still be allowed to race? since it would technically be basically a new car. Suggest they cant, it would just end the hopes of a team if they aren't allowed to rebuild their car.
If it's a big enough crash to have to rebuild to that extent, it would be cheaper to buy a new car.
Even when Bargs had his crash at PI, the chassis remained the same. Same chassis = same car = same logbook = race again in V8TouringCars

No one said you can't rebuild it, new panels etc, but if you're talking about replacing the whole chassis, that's far from a rebuild.