Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Sep 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2534340)   #1
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Riot police called into Rally OZ

Rueters are reporting Riot Police were called for Rally Australia.

Quote:
The cars of several drivers, including five-time world champion Sebastien Loeb, were pelted with stones while riot police were called in to investigate reports that boulders had been placed on the course and fences cut down allowing cattle to stray onto the track.
Sad news that Australian motorsport is pictured around the world in this light.

Quote:
"Some people don't like us in front of their house but I didn't ask to come here," Frenchman Loeb said.

I must say this is disgraceful behaviour from the protesters. Someone could have been seriously hurt.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2534346)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Arent there laws against that stuff, like the people chucking rocks off overhead bridges?

Time to bring in the firetrucks and water cannon devices me thinks.. and not to wash the WRC cars.

I understand the environmentalists' concerns, and am not ignoring them, but when you put people's lives at risk by going out of your way to cause people injury... its time to act quickly, to act skillfully.... and deal out the appropriate punishment!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Sep 2009, 12:35 (Ref:2534371)   #3
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 4 Sep 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2534372)   #4
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly, this may just bring the result the greenies are looking for.
You would think that WRC would be having second thoughts about returning for future events.

Contract or not, the get out clauses would be many & varied.

Quite a sad reflection on the NIMBY society we have become...
Old 4 Sep 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2534376)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking at retros pictures, I think if I were a kangaroo I'd be more frightened of the protesters than the rally cars.

Or are those pictures of the local wildlife. I'm sure I saw those last three in a cage at Heallesville.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2534377)   #6
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
Sadly, this may just bring the result the greenies are looking for.
You would think that WRC would be having second thoughts about returning for future events.

Contract or not, the get out clauses would be many & varied.

Quite a sad reflection on the NIMBY society we have become...
RR should that be NIMBIN...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 4 Sep 2009, 13:23 (Ref:2534408)   #7
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
NIMBY = Not In My Back Yard.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2534431)   #8
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimlerman View Post
NIMBY = Not In My Back Yard.

Nimbin = Hippie Town in Northern NSW.

here...

Old 4 Sep 2009, 15:09 (Ref:2534469)   #9
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you were to put the water cannon on these grubs it would be the first wash they've had in years.

Remember, as far as a Greenie is concerned the life of a tree is more important than the life of a person.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2534473)   #10
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Nimbin = Hippie Town in Northern NSW.

here...

You learn something new every day
Old 4 Sep 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2534581)   #11
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd think releasing the cattle onto the track is more leathal to them than just keeping them off it. could be my weird logic though.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 19:03 (Ref:2534585)   #12
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boycott Repco? I thought we'd all been doing that for years!
Old 4 Sep 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2534616)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's sad to think that the Eco-madness that seems to have gripped Oz is only a couple of years ahead of Europe in terms of development.

Of course if they succeed in persuading the promoters to abandon Oz as a Rally location they will have 'won'. What they will have won is perhaps less clear.

I assume that Rally Australia is still based the South West? If so why not declare the entire remote coast line a national park to be free of people and move the population somewhere else? That would sort the problem for a while. I'm asure that those who live in Perth and Freemantle could easily locate west and save the federal government a lot of wasteful costs related to running the coountry at the same time.

Last edited by grantp; 4 Sep 2009 at 20:06.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2534635)   #14
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
grant, no it's in the East now (New South Wales). No doubt WA would happily take it back but it's probably better for the event itself to be near the main population (ignoring these eco-numpties).
Old 4 Sep 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2534643)   #15
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510 View Post
grant, no it's in the East now (New South Wales). No doubt WA would happily take it back but it's probably better for the event itself to be near the main population (ignoring these eco-numpties).
Ah! My mistake.

However it explains everything ....

But CAN you ignore the eco-numpties? They seem to be one of the more surprising results of the development of Oz in recent years.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2534663)   #16
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So that's where Peter Russel-Clarke has got to ?? #8
Old 4 Sep 2009, 21:03 (Ref:2534667)   #17
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is wrong with these tree hugging hippys? Whats the difference of the rally cars racing thought the roads than a bunch of hill billys shooting everything in sight?

And to throw rocks at the cars is just bloody stupid are they more concerned about the wildlife or killing someone aghhhhhhhhh
Old 4 Sep 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2534669)   #18
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Proper Rally Oz thread here:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118040
Old 4 Sep 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2534676)   #19
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe we (the motorsport fans of Australia) should go up there and throw rocks at the protesters, they might get the point then.

Protesting is fine, but safety is first.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 21:16 (Ref:2534677)   #20
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, I understand what they are protesting for.. But. I bet they dont have a donkeys about motorsport, they have this impression that the WRC is a big multi-national company that kills everything etc etc etc.. Now, this can't be ignored, but the thing that really annoys me about this is the fact that they are protesting without doing any research into motorsports, and then planning to toss frozen road kill at the cars as they go by.

Environmentalist's? Nah, these are a bunch of mentalists.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 22:04 (Ref:2534698)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
Maybe we (the motorsport fans of Australia) should go up there and throw rocks at the protesters, they might get the point then.

Protesting is fine, but safety is first.
Those poor rocks, giving up their lives to land on a pack of loonies

The water cannon idea was the best, maybe the people in retro's pic could take a bath or something...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Sep 2009, 22:20 (Ref:2534706)   #22
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Nimbin is the sort of place everyone should go to visit once.

Just once, to see that it's real.......then get the hell out of there.

When I visited 10 years ago, I was continually asked 2 questions. "You got any smoke (maruajana) or "you want any smoke".

The answer to both was a definate NO.

I do like the suggestion about going there and throwing rocks at the protestors, though I'm surprised someone hasn't protested about them hurting the feelings of the poor bloody rocks by throwing them.
Old 5 Sep 2009, 04:58 (Ref:2534787)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would guarantee if someone threw a rock at my rally car I would get out and throw it back.

Just a bunch of looney tunes most likely on public welfare. I think a forest fire or thunderstorm does more damage than any rally cars do. And nightly in Australia kangaroos get killed on roads everywhere. I nearly took out a mob of them myself on a road outside of Gunnedah last time I was there.
Old 5 Sep 2009, 05:22 (Ref:2534791)   #24
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
This type of nonsense wouldn't happen at Rally Finland, those idiot protestors would find themselves moved along quite quickly and not by the cops either .

I cant believe they threw rocks at some of the cars, thats so incredibly stupid and reckless. I dont care what they have a problem with but throwing stuff at any cars is not right, there is no excuse for that type of behaviour. People have died on our roads because of stupidity like that. if I was nearby I would've gone and thrown rocks at them, see how they like it.

Break out the tear gas and the water cannons I say.........
Old 5 Sep 2009, 05:42 (Ref:2534792)   #25
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time for people to go back and read some of the responses to this - it shows that there isn't much difference between the protesters and those inhabiting these forums.

Let's see - go throw rocks at the protesters? Break out the tear gas and water cannon? Exactly the sort of thing that makes their protest all the more valid (even saying it 'jest')