Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Sep 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2541945)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Crowd Numbers...

It seems Australia isnt the only market having difficulty with sustaining crowd numbers for events if THIS is anything to go by

The magic question is how to improve the show, the package, the deliverable, the events, the whatever, to make the crowd numbers increase.

F1 is clearly off the boil if they are 16% off the prior year. Has you wondering if Mr Schumacher was driving if it would be the same, kind of like when Mr Brock made his comeback in the red RNR car all those moons ago

What is the Aussie solution?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Sep 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2542007)   #2
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cold Chisel apparently....
Old 16 Sep 2009, 14:50 (Ref:2542059)   #3
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ticket prices keep going up by large jumps, represent poor value for money against football games, and your average punter do not care that a V8 Supercar meeting goes all day when Football doesn't.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2542266)   #4
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if the profits have gone down. Maybe the powers that be are not to worried about overall numbers. They seem to be more catering for corporate customers rather than the common fans. . All good until you get a down turn in the economy and corporations pull in the marketing budgets. Also major television network coverage is the Holy Grail for a race series. I am of the opinion that the V8 series seems to still get good attendants, especially considering the small population. Also the overall show is good, with value added entertainment (concerts ect..) I work all around the world in motorsport, and Oz major races seem to be the best attended. I have attended several World Touring Car meetings this year and they had very few genaeral spectators. Even Brit Touring car meetings don't have the atmosphere. Clipsal rates above any other race meet i've attended for atmosphere.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2542342)   #5
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm, whats that thing we are in the middle of at present?
Worldwide recession.
A lot of people just don't have the cash to spend on the crazy ticket prices just to get in the gate.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 22:49 (Ref:2542459)   #6
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Hmm, whats that thing we are in the middle of at present?
Worldwide recession.
A lot of people just don't have the cash to spend on the crazy ticket prices just to get in the gate.
Let alone be able to afford to buy a drink and something to eat
Old 17 Sep 2009, 00:34 (Ref:2542504)   #7
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At $6/can for cat's wee disguised as XXXX Gold, is it any wonder the punters smuggle in some sly stuff???

My wife was still finding cans of Jim Beam hidden in the car for 3 weeks after we went to The Island last year.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 17 Sep 2009, 02:09 (Ref:2542538)   #8
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspence View Post
Cold Chisel apparently....
They can fix anything. they actually developed the swine flu vaccine.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 02:20 (Ref:2542543)   #9
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cheap wine?
Old 17 Sep 2009, 02:23 (Ref:2542544)   #10
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
Ticket prices keep going up by large jumps, represent poor value for money against football games, and your average punter do not care that a V8 Supercar meeting goes all day when Football doesn't.
yes, in NRL you can go watch the Toyota cup before the first grade match and if the NRL woke up and put premier league/reserve grade back in so they hadall 3 grades in 1 day it's even better value for money.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 03:56 (Ref:2542562)   #11
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Lop-sided championship about to get worse in 2010 with too many commodores.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 04:12 (Ref:2542570)   #12
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do crowd numbers matter when TV pays the bills.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2542725)   #13
grange54
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
grange54 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have any crowd numbers been released for last weekend's event?
It would be intersting to compare them with the Winton numbers from earlier this year.
May be an influence in deciding the replacement venue.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2542811)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Do crowd numbers matter when TV pays the bills.
They do when you constantly bang on about economic impact of your events and ask for $$$ from government
Old 18 Sep 2009, 02:44 (Ref:2543187)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
They do when you constantly bang on about economic impact of your events and ask for $$$ from government
Post of the day.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 07:08 (Ref:2543238)   #16
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can increase your crowd numbers by handing out more corporate passes and counting them as the "average punters"
Old 18 Sep 2009, 07:25 (Ref:2543246)   #17
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Geez-twice in the same year I am agreeing with you>

The problem with the whole show is that it has become sterile. The support programs are overexposed sterile boring. Combination of TC;s crew greed. CAMS greed, boring,boring racing and nothing that gets people excited all equals a disservice to motorsport.
Throw in the temporary circuits where only 5 seconds a lap can see anything and you get the point.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2543281)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i have no doubt that you are wrong silver.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 04:49 (Ref:2543702)   #19
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.inetpics.com/showimage.aspx?unid=146837

http://www.inetpics.com/showimage.aspx?unid=146838

Ahh the life of a race promoter. One minute your up the next your down.

sorry links don't go directly there; search for 090913-Y2-0028.jpg and 090913-Y2-0033.jpg

Last edited by Matthew Ronke; 19 Sep 2009 at 04:58. Reason: links not working
Old 19 Sep 2009, 08:10 (Ref:2543739)   #20
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
i have no doubt that you are wrong silver.
And I have no doubt that your surname is Cochrane......

Third cousin perhaps ?
Old 19 Sep 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2543745)   #21
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
you>

The problem with the whole show is that it has become sterile.
The biggest problem is no one seems to have a solution. There is no other category that is able to compete with V8SC, or is ready/able to step up.

Do we adopt an existing overseas formula? S2000, WTCC, BTCC, DTM, ect? or do we start with a clean slate?

How many teams could afford a big change if told all their existing cars, spares, engines, equipment is now redunant and have to purchase/build everything from scratch, which would also destroy the resale value of their existing stuff? Could/would DJR and GRM for example? Or do we evolve the existing cars and gradually phase out the existing equipment?

What would manufacturers prefer? Parity based or 'run what ya brung'?

I agree that it's time for a change as the existing formula is now 17 years old and Ford and Holden's Financial involvment is greatly different to what it was a few years ago, buts whats the answer?
Old 19 Sep 2009, 08:22 (Ref:2543747)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
no relation Rachel. Just dont see the need to bag the guy for doing his job. and dont want to go back to the bad old days (which to many think of as good when they were not)
Old 19 Sep 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2543778)   #23
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
The biggest problem is no one seems to have a solution. There is no other category that is able to compete with V8SC, or is ready/able to step up.

Do we adopt an existing overseas formula? S2000, WTCC, BTCC, DTM, ect? or do we start with a clean slate?

How many teams could afford a big change if told all their existing cars, spares, engines, equipment is now redunant and have to purchase/build everything from scratch, which would also destroy the resale value of their existing stuff? Could/would DJR and GRM for example? Or do we evolve the existing cars and gradually phase out the existing equipment?

What would manufacturers prefer? Parity based or 'run what ya brung'?

I agree that it's time for a change as the existing formula is now 17 years old and Ford and Holden's Financial involvment is greatly different to what it was a few years ago, buts whats the answer?
4 easy ways to fix V8 supercars.
1. Reduce the aero grip
2. Get rid of the contrived pitstops.
3. reduce the braking cappabilty
4. Change the tyre compound so it only lasts for 3/4 of a race. Do you go hard at the start and try and hang on to the gap or do you try and conserve some tyres for the latter part of the race

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 19 Sep 2009, 10:49 (Ref:2543792)   #24
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

The same way the teams managed the change is 1973, 1985 and 1993.

Keep the current cars eligible for the Fujitsu Series so the teams have a customer base to sell them to.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 11:17 (Ref:2543805)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Welcome to the problem of the 'Car of Tomorrow' concept
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods