Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 May 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1315892)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting words...

Some of you may recall that Renault has a new CEO, Carlos Ghosn.

He is not widely regarded as a motorsport fan and sceptical of it's merits to a manufacturer. It was believed and alleged that he wanted to see a direct link between what Renault F1 does on a Sunday and increased car sales, but since the recent performance of the team that sort of feeling has declined.

However, he has made some interesting comments recently.

"You see some people you know dumping $300m, $400m or $500m in Formula 1," he said. "It's a joke. The relationship between racing and boosting sales and boosting specific technology, frankly we don't find it.

If you are going racing, you have to have the chance of winning to bolster brand value. It cannot become something you do because you've always done it. I'm not sorry we don't participate. I'm sorry where we participate and don't get very much."

I think the message there is that while Renault are winning and delivering 'brand value', F1 will be something that he 'lives with' - clearly IF there is a down turn in fortunes - it will be an activity under close scrutiny.

It also begs the question that if a conglomerate like Renault see's little merit between racing and boosting sales or showcasing it's technology, how do others measure it?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns14928.html
Old 31 May 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1315901)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hard to judge.
Nonetheless if automobile companies have invested in motorsport ever since the watermelon there must be some good reasons somewhere.
it's also true, on the other hand, that the higher goes the investment required, the the stronger must be the demonstration of its convenience.

BTW for companies specialized in high performance cars like Ferrari, the effect on brand strnght is clearer than for mass production ones, like Renault.
Old 31 May 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1315999)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Hard to judge.
Nonetheless if automobile companies have invested in motorsport ever since the watermelon there must be some good reasons somewhere.
it's also true, on the other hand, that the higher goes the investment required, the the stronger must be the demonstration of its convenience.

BTW for companies specialized in high performance cars like Ferrari, the effect on brand strnght is clearer than for mass production ones, like Renault.
The flip side of this is that a small scale production company the size of Ferrari can't sell/make enough cars to fund a current F1 team, therefore as a stand alone operation it's not viable. Whereas a volume car maker has the resources and global marketplace to 'do' F1 in it's current guise - and even some of them are coughing at the costs.
Old 31 May 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1316045)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is why it's vital to have Jordan, Minardi, and even McLaren and Williams around - racers who're there because they love it, rather than trying to sell you a Megane.
Old 31 May 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1316051)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Lets not forget about the team's technical partners - Shell, AMD, Intel, Michelin, Bridgestone, etc... They fork over large amounts of time and money to help out, and I wonder if they see an increase in resulting sales.
Old 31 May 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1316065)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i must admit i don't know alot about the renault car lines, but surley F1, particularly now that there is a considerable effort to move into new markets, is what the manufacturer teams need to also enter these markets for the first time. again i dont know if renault sells cars in china, but if they don't, for most people in china/new market the first time they see a renault will be in a race. so if the company ever decides to sell cars in the new market awareness for their brand will already exist. thats money saved in the future.
on the other hand maybe renault just cares about the european market so for them this is not a real strong argument in favour of F1, but surley the other manufactures have larger dreams for increased market share.
Old 31 May 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1316078)   #7
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Lets not forget about the team's technical partners - Shell, AMD, Intel, Michelin, Bridgestone, etc... They fork over large amounts of time and money to help out, and I wonder if they see an increase in resulting sales.
I doubt Bridgestone is getting much of a bump in sales this year!
Old 31 May 2005, 18:55 (Ref:1316079)   #8
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl
i must admit i don't know alot about the renault car lines, but surley F1, particularly now that there is a considerable effort to move into new markets, is what the manufacturer teams need to also enter these markets for the first time. again i dont know if renault sells cars in china, but if they don't, for most people in china/new market the first time they see a renault will be in a race. so if the company ever decides to sell cars in the new market awareness for their brand will already exist. thats money saved in the future.
on the other hand maybe renault just cares about the european market so for them this is not a real strong argument in favour of F1, but surley the other manufactures have larger dreams for increased market share.
Oddly enough, they aren't even listed at Edmunds.com under new cars! Even cars as obscure as Ferrari and Lamborghini are. Not sure if they are even sold in the US. Seems that if you make cars, America is one of the markets you would target if you could.

I know they USED to sell them in the States. Not sure why they don't now.
Old 31 May 2005, 19:07 (Ref:1316093)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
welcome lampcord
was actually just looking at their website and using the drop down menu it seems like their are several big markets they dont compete in ie. us., china, india, but other than that they do seem to be pretty international maybe the comments were made based on renault's current situation in terms of advertising and branding and not about the future (which seems a little odd but i guess thats why he's a CEO of a multibillion comany and i am not)

http://www.renault.com/gb/transverse/site_map.htm
Old 31 May 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1316116)   #10
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The world is one large market place that seems to work in mysterious ways. Those words speak volumes as to the precarious state (whether real or imagined, who really knows) of F1 that relys so much on the large pockets of the wealthy manufacturers. Take just one of those away (such as Renault) and you have a gigantic void to fill, that could easily start a downward spiral. No wonder Bernie is so consumed with lowering costs. The Minardis/Jordan/Sauber teams are treasures to behold. Brings to mind that famous saying "Nothing lasts forever".
Old 31 May 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1316118)   #11
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
The key thing here is if Renault can replace Mild Seven as a title sponsor when they 'baccy ban comes in. If Business F1 is to believed, there are no spaces left on the Renault at present
Old 31 May 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1316133)   #12
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LampCord
Welcome to the forum

Maybe not... but they have been no slouch up until this year
Old 31 May 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1316158)   #13
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I would think that the brand name "Bridgestone" is getting a lot *more* media attention this year than in previous years.

Which tends to be good for sales.
Old 31 May 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1316165)   #14
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every second new car in South Africa is a Renault, Peugeot or Citroen.
(It'd be quite something if Renault won both F1 championships, Peugeot won the WRC constructors championship, and Citroen won the WRC driver's championship with Sebastien Loeb).

Perhaps the motorsport successes create an atmosphere in which other marketing is more successful.
Old 31 May 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1316203)   #15
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oddly enough, they aren't even listed at Edmunds.com under new cars! Even cars as obscure as Ferrari and Lamborghini are. Not sure if they are even sold in the US. Seems that if you make cars, America is one of the markets you would target if you could.

I know they USED to sell them in the States. Not sure why they don't now.
The US has some diffirent rules so they'd have to design their cars for that market too, instead of just doing it according to the European rules which also allows them to sell the cars in most other countries.
This is also why Alfa Romeo hasn't been in the US since '96 or so, but their new cars (159 and Brera) should comply to the US regulation so I assume they're on their way back.
Old 31 May 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1316212)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think F1 is a bad tool to promote with, there are just an awful lot of other avenues that manufacturers can go down to advertise their products nowadays.

Although, in some cases, it is scary what a car manufacturer will spend on a TV advertising campaign.
Old 31 May 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1316220)   #17
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkh
The US has some diffirent rules so they'd have to design their cars for that market too, instead of just doing it according to the European rules which also allows them to sell the cars in most other countries.
This is also why Alfa Romeo hasn't been in the US since '96 or so, but their new cars (159 and Brera) should comply to the US regulation so I assume they're on their way back.
Its the extra cost versus the sales and profit which decides if the likes of Peugeot or Alfa (both have been here) is viable. Canada is actually the hardest country in the world to get a car allowed to be sold (new)
Old 31 May 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1316223)   #18
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't a few Renault models make it over to the US under the Nissan badge? Also I'm sure I heard James Allen mention once that Renault sales in Spain are up a significant amount.

F1 these days seems to be a tool with which to spin off other forms of advertising. I constantly see Toyota adds which use their F1 team as a way to convince people their engineers and designers are the best, same for Mercedes using their F1 connection to make the Smart car seem like a good buy.

Maybe it's not a case of "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" any more and a case of "win on Sunday and bombard people with adverts on Monday".
Old 31 May 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1316228)   #19
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
No, not at the moment. Years ago Renault had an alliance with the old AMC company to produce the old 9 and 11 and 25 (as a saloon) in North America. That all went pete tong, pretty much helped kill AMC and their sister company Eagle who were swallowed up by Chrysler and dissapeared.

Its proved the win on Sunday, sell on Monday works, with tin tops (think DTM, BTCC, Aussie V8 and of course NASCAR) but to a lesser extent with F1. I suppose a premier brand like Ferrari and Mercedes do have this easier than a mainstream brand like Renault.
Old 31 May 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1316296)   #20
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the biggest problems that some of the European manufacturers had trying to sell cars in North America, was the fact that they didn't have their own independent dealerships. For instance, when FIAT, Alfas and Peugots were sold here, a Cadillac or Ford dealer would pick them up as a side franchise. This led to salesman that didn't care or know the product, and mechanics that had no idea how to fix one. It was terrible way to try and sell a car and build a following.

I'm quite sure that Ferrari, and maybe Mercedes, and BMW benefit from being in F1, but I think a mass production company like Renault would do just as well marketing wise in a series that they can actually race the cars they build...

Danica Patrick
Old 1 Jun 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1316313)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Bridgestone/Firestone sell a huge amount of tyres in the USA.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 04:23 (Ref:1316390)   #22
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Bridgestone/Firestone sell a huge amount of tyres in the USA.
More than true, but I think he was referring to their dismal performance this year...
Old 1 Jun 2005, 07:46 (Ref:1316475)   #23
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im getting two new bridgestones for my car next week..

Bridgestone 103 per tyre

Michelin 130 per tyre

I know which one im choosing
Old 1 Jun 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1316501)   #24
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the presence in F1 does not directly increase sales. Presence in F1 increases the profile and the value of the brand. Having a strong brand can increse and maintain sales, if the other factors are satisfactory to the customer, but you can't sell with brand alone. The brand merely increases your chances of success, as people will be familiar with you, and thus are more likely to accept you and your marketing-propaganda. I don't think anyone is naive enough to think they'll find F1-level of quality in their Megane, but the average consumer will prefer it over Skoda or Hyundai, if the deal is just as good otherwise.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1316746)   #25
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nobody would use F1 to market anything in the States!

I always wonder about the reasons a car manufacturer has for promoting certain brands - Renault does not have a reputation for sporty or even fast cars in the same way that Ferrari, Mercedes or BMW have. I imagine at some point Nissan will be considered as a rebranding of the Renault team.