Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Dec 2008, 22:50 (Ref:2359920)   #76
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So.. can you explain exactly how running with PCR, in a model of car that is not the same as the other pilot, will actually put Mr Patrizi in a better situation technically?

If Steve Owen was in the #777 car this year, it is more than likely he would have ended up top 15 in the championship, and been competitive at every event he, and the FPR bretheren, were strong at.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Dec 2008, 23:47 (Ref:2359951)   #77
express
Rookie

express should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Except Mr Patrizi was part of a 3 car team, and the other 2 cars seemed to win rounds of the series in 2008....
Part of a 3 car team, no not really. the FRSR car was only prepared to a dollar amount that the FPR customer Jim Morton was prepared to pay. Yes the FPR staff ran the car, however only to a figure, unlike the 5 an 6 which got everything and anything that was required to make them race winners
Old 22 Dec 2008, 23:50 (Ref:2359952)   #78
express
Rookie

express should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So.. can you explain exactly how running with PCR, in a model of car that is not the same as the other pilot, will actually put Mr Patrizi in a better situation technically?

If Steve Owen was in the #777 car this year, it is more than likely he would have ended up top 15 in the championship, and been competitive at every event he, and the FPR bretheren, were strong at.
the 777 needed a driver who could bring sponsorship dollars and steve has none of these. you could nominate nearly ten drivers who may have been in this ride that would have finished in the top 15.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 02:17 (Ref:2359988)   #79
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by express
the 777 needed a driver who could bring sponsorship dollars and steve has none of these. you could nominate nearly ten drivers who may have been in this ride that would have finished in the top 15.
what Mr Magic may be implying, and you're missing, is that although S. Owen (or the "other 10" you mention) had no money to get the ride, if he got the ride on ability alone, he would be top15. Mr Patrizi on the other hand while having the alleged money could still not get top15, hence the ability is deemed to be lacking
Old 23 Dec 2008, 02:29 (Ref:2359991)   #80
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
In 2003 a young Jamie whincup in his first full season finished the season in 27th. he had a experienced team mate and a team who had been running competitive cars for a number of year.

I dont think we should be too harsh on patrazzi, its his first season and even though he has a top car, he has to learn the tracks and his team is learning about the car also
Old 23 Dec 2008, 02:46 (Ref:2359994)   #81
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
In 2003 a young Jamie whincup in his first full season finished the season in 27th. he had a experienced team mate and a team who had been running competitive cars for a number of year.

I dont think we should be too harsh on patrazzi, its his first season and even though he has a top car, he has to learn the tracks and his team is learning about the car also
Agreed. Before this season, had Michael even raced in a sedan? He seems to be an open-wheel 'expert', so therefore he did an alright job for someone who was new to the series. Sure he didn't set the world on fire, but I don't think a V8 Supercar rookie would've done a better job than Michael.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 23 Dec 2008, 02:56 (Ref:2359998)   #82
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
of even more interest is that his team was the second place single car team if you count from there first race (they didn't start to round 3) and was 3rd for the whole season.

this meant he beat 2007s fujitsu winner if you exclude the rounds where he didnt compete
Old 23 Dec 2008, 06:58 (Ref:2360039)   #83
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:

Come on Peckstar, I reckon you are as keen a judge of Supercar as anyone on these forums but, that is the longest bow I have ever seen drawn...

I dont wish to personally bash Mr. Patrazzi, however he is out of his depth by a country mile and 09 will prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt. Mind you I reckon there is more than enough proof from 08 to draw that opinion...

"Cash is clearly King"
Old 23 Dec 2008, 08:15 (Ref:2360049)   #84
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Basil, i had never heard of him before this year and really he has not set the world on fire, but there were drivers who went worse than him in teams with more experience.

I think he is worth risking for another year. yes and then we will see.

As for this theory that other drivers would have taken the car to a top 15th finish, well that would be highly unlikely as the cars would have run out of budget before half way through the year

Steve Owen managed to finish 22nd in 2006 and 19th in 2007 (a third of his point score came from one race. bathurst). he had a lot more experience than Patrizi and really did not overly shine

While i agree with the original post, i think some have come down a bit harsh on him and as i mentioned he finished higher than whincup did in his debut season

Last edited by peckstar; 23 Dec 2008 at 08:18.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2360445)   #85
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RNR did have didley squat finance for those assaults though, far less than i would expect that FRSR/Jim Morton had
Old 24 Dec 2008, 00:05 (Ref:2360513)   #86
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
driver comparisons

Interested that Patrizi is being compared with Owen, a driver i'd have thought as well respected .. wouldnt Thompson be a fairer measure?

Give those who want to lambast parents contributions to their kids motor racing (the SORF crew) another platform.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 00:46 (Ref:2360528)   #87
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Interested that Patrizi is being compared with Owen, a driver i'd have thought as well respected .. wouldnt Thompson be a fairer measure?

Give those who want to lambast parents contributions to their kids motor racing (the SORF crew) another platform.
I dont think that is the comparison. Mr Patrizi has claimed in the article referred to in the opening post, that there are many troubles at his 2008 team, not the least of which is budget, ownership stability, and the difficulty in being only a single car operation.

As stated previously, an experienced pilot like Mr Owen, can get the car percolating, as he did with TKR, and isnt totally reliant on seeing the MoTeC screen of his teammate to be able to set hot times, or to maintain consistency. Its about application of the craft, and a number of years of experience working with good engineering talent.

Mr Thompson has to do something special in 2009, or the dream may be over there too... the PWR outfit seemed to be running on beer money... as you would if the team was taken out of mothballs and forced to run at the last moment. The vehicle was never quick, just as it wasnt in 2007 with variously Mr Weel, Mr Dumbrell or Mr McConville at the tiller. At least the engine explosions seem to have stopped...

It is a surprise that PCR has taken this driver on, if only because the budget that allegedly comes with him isnt enough to run a full car. Perhaps there are other sponsors in the PCR equipe that will join the program.....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Dec 2008, 02:32 (Ref:2360552)   #88
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Basil, i had never heard of him before this year
Bloody hell Pecky there is a world outside V8s you know. Even the fishwrappers had a few references to his overseas stint last year.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 04:01 (Ref:2360572)   #89
cavvy
Veteran

fair go ...

Quote:
I dont think that is the comparison. Mr Patrizi has claimed in the article referred to in the opening post, that there are many troubles at his 2008 team, not the least of which is budget, ownership stability, and the difficulty in being only a single car operation.

As stated previously, an experienced pilot like Mr Owen, can get the car percolating, as he did with TKR, and isnt totally reliant on seeing the MoTeC screen of his teammate to be able to set hot times, or to maintain consistency. Its about application of the craft, and a number of years of experience working with good engineering talent.

Mr Thompson has to do something special in 2009, or the dream may be over there too... the PWR outfit seemed to be running on beer money... as you would if the team was taken out of mothballs and forced to run at the last moment. The vehicle was never quick, just as it wasnt in 2007 with variously Mr Weel, Mr Dumbrell or Mr McConville at the tiller. At least the engine explosions seem to have stopped...

It is a surprise that PCR has taken this driver on, if only because the budget that allegedly comes with him isnt enough to run a full car. Perhaps there are other sponsors in the PCR equipe that will join the program.....
Got to agree to disagree .. compare drivers if you will, compare team & driver with another, but to compare Patrizi to Owen is the former ... & a bit rich !!!
Old 24 Dec 2008, 04:27 (Ref:2360579)   #90
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Sorry sizzle, only time for limited motorsport and its not europe and open wheelers that grab my interest.

GTR. the evidenece doesnt support your assumption that mr owen can get the "percolating" he really didnt go that much better with more experience and a more experienced team.

Surely we should be comparing him agaisnt Tony D. and he beat him as well as Thompson
Old 26 Dec 2008, 12:34 (Ref:2361163)   #91
shadow_man
Rookie

shadow_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, Patrizi's ability..... since he has lack there of, talk of this as a "skill" is rich no mater how you look at it. He is so slow, he was slower then the fujitsu's at Oran Park......

Friday
Patrizi 1:11.7451 Practice
Fujitsu 1:09.9216 Qualifying

Maybe he was running race trim, but even still I find his speed to be mickey mouse! The "big boys" were quicker under the same track conditions yet Patrizi was left with his tipical excuses of "it is all the car" or "they are all against me".

Michael never really set the world on fire with his racing, he has had more then enough time to get up to speed. Talk of "he will do better next year" is BS. No team has the time or money to wait on a driver to find his feet. Ausdrill should find a real driver to put there money behind (or invest it back into their failing company...).

As for Michael, Don't worry, I am sure your "mate" DR Mario Theissen hasn't called you back to the UK yet because he has lost your number...
Old 26 Dec 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2361289)   #92
cavvy
Veteran

a green eyed shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_man
Hmmm, Patrizi

1. No team has the time or money to wait on a driver to find his feet.

2. Ausdrill should find a real driver to put there money behind (or invest it back into their failing company...).

Can I suggest this is more than a little personal:
1. Try Jamie Whincup
2. Dogs do do !! With a chairman like Terry O'Connor Ausdrill are doing OK ... failing company ... fair dinkum !!
Old 26 Dec 2008, 23:37 (Ref:2361327)   #93
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
V8s are a hard game and extremely competitive.
The team Patrizi was with was as green a V8 Supercar team as the driver was.
No experience and absolutely no help to the driver.
Give the guy the benefit of the doubt and lets bag him at the end of next season if it doesnt work.
At least Patrizi has confidence and believes in himself.
As far as Owen goes, well he is fast but makes some STUPID mistakes at times. It takes more than speed to make it in the Supercar world and Owen lacks the rest.
Also Whincup in his first year was Pathetic, absolutely Pathetic and in a good car aswell.
Give Patrize one more year and then we will see what all his talk is about!!!
Old 30 Dec 2008, 13:19 (Ref:2362715)   #94
Emma#33
Rookie

Emma#33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

i am gonna sound like a tool, but i dont care. i have to ask PROFILER if you could infact handle racing a v8 supercar? patrizi is a rookie meaning he is not the best, his driving needs work. he has not raced at the tracks he travelled to in his car before, his car is not sponsored by his dad, his team is not a part of fpr the car is prepared at fpr it is a sub team but a seperate team. your post actually made me quite mad and im sure there will be a comment about me naming names but i do know michael patrizi and he is a great guy. practice makes perfect give him at least another year or two. look at the front runners now. they were in similar positions to patrizi in their rookie days. everyone has them and they are not glamourous. just give the underdogs a chance. i sound like a loser i know but the comments made here were so very harsh.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 13:57 (Ref:2362730)   #95
Hayleyv8
Rookie

Hayleyv8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmm...

Is " The Profiler" the tex guy who attacked patrizi in pit lane?

I am a thompson fan and well PWR are cloisng down and Thompson is in his first year, wheres his attack?

I have meet Patrizi many times and his explained how different V8's are to open wheelers, for some one who has had to adjust his done really well.

“Patrizi emerged from his debut campaign in the prestigious championship series in overall 26th position – not bad for the 24-year-old rookie who signed on for the 2008 series having never previously been behind the wheel of a V8 Supercar.”

Fact: 26th? By last count there were only 29 cars in the field and one of them was the poorly funded Team Kiwi. Things is 26th is as good as last. Not Bad? Leave that to you to decide.

Patrizi Didn't start till hamilton the championship, He could have finished futher up if he had not missed the first 2 championship rounds, Plus he did many then many at Bathurst who have race there for years, and his co-driver was a rookie aswell

Following a WA holiday, Patrizi was due to head back overseas last February but instead accepted a Ford Motor Company offer to contest the V8 Supercars.”

Fact: Nice to know there is some truth in this story? Michael has been on one permanent holiday since he was born. There was never and never has been any such offer from Ford. Just the offer of a big cheque from his Dad.

And you know this how?
Anyway IF its true then why don't you bag on Paul dumbrell whose father owns Autobarn, Jack Perkins whose father owns a team,

“For the equipment I drove with, we’ve had a sensational year,” Patrizi said.

Fact: Patrizi’s car was Identical (except for the paint job) in every way to the car that the guy who came second in the championship drove. Both car and driver wanted for nothing except perhaps tyres? It was apparently very hard to build up a tyre bank within the team as most of them ended up looking like fifty cent pieces

So you're a mechanic and you work on the v8 supercars hey?
every team prepares their cars differently, yes they are similar in ways but not 100%

“The (new) team I will be driving for has a much stronger financial base, which gives me a lot more confidence in what the car’s ability will be and how it will go.”

Fact: More truth? The financial base will be the cash that Michael is paying to play.

Every heard of Merchandise and sponsors?
Patrizis team did not sell merch every round like his new team and a team stepping up from Fujitsu to the main game costs a lot.

“The right people know that as well, which is the best part about it.

Fact: They certainly do! They know you couldn't drive out of sight on a dark night but they'll gladly take your money

What are you a gossip magazine? Your changing his words to suit yourself.
You are a complete and utter idiot .

I am a Holden fan, but attacking Patrizi is insane. Your can't pick on his problems and not pick on other drivers problems.

Again you're an idiot.

Old 30 Dec 2008, 14:03 (Ref:2362735)   #96
Hayleyv8
Rookie

Also every driver has problems in their first team. Whincup did and he had a GRM car, which are known for being brilliant and so have many other drivers,
even Brock had problems
Old 30 Dec 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2362736)   #97
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma#33
i am gonna sound like a tool, but i dont care. i have to ask PROFILER if you could infact handle racing a v8 supercar? patrizi is a rookie meaning he is not the best, his driving needs work. he has not raced at the tracks he travelled to in his car before, his car is not sponsored by his dad, his team is not a part of fpr the car is prepared at fpr it is a sub team but a seperate team. your post actually made me quite mad and im sure there will be a comment about me naming names but i do know michael patrizi and he is a great guy. practice makes perfect give him at least another year or two. look at the front runners now. they were in similar positions to patrizi in their rookie days. everyone has them and they are not glamourous. just give the underdogs a chance. i sound like a loser i know but the comments made here were so very harsh.
Emma. you are so right. Where did all these super drivers start. Lets see,
they all started way back, lets be like cricket. how many matches before he reached a century, or how many races before he had a win. To all the knockers, look at jamie, dumped and then revived. I wonder if harry firth had thougnt, this brock kid has no talent, or if larry got the right team and AJ got lotus gig, would the world of motor sport be different. I wonder if Leo Leonard and Jim Richards hadn't crossed the tasman, Graham Crosby for that matter as well. The Stone Bros, who helped DJR

Yes EM, you are right, to many superior intelligent posters who aren't employed by V8 Supercar Teams passing comment on what they cant do

Where did jamie sart?
Old 30 Dec 2008, 14:08 (Ref:2362738)   #98
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_man
Hmmm, Patrizi's ability..... since he has lack there of, talk of this as a "skill" is rich no mater how you look at it. He is so slow, he was slower then the fujitsu's at Oran Park......

Friday

Maybe he was running race trim, but even still I find his speed to be mickey mouse! The "big boys" were quicker under the same track conditions yet Patrizi was left with his tipical excuses of "it is all the car" or "they are all against me".

Michael never really set the world on fire with his racing, he has had more then enough time to get up to speed. Talk of "he will do better next year" is BS. No team has the time or money to wait on a driver to find his feet. Ausdrill should find a real driver to put there money behind (or invest it back into their failing company...).

As for Michael, Don't worry, I am sure your "mate" DR Mario Theissen hasn't called you back to the UK yet because he has lost your number...
sounds like hollow man to me. Where did the others start from?
Old 30 Dec 2008, 14:09 (Ref:2362739)   #99
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma#33
The funny thing is that your assesment of Michael is a lot humbler than Michael's own self-assesment through the quoted news story (which is the point of the whole thread).
Old 30 Dec 2008, 14:10 (Ref:2362740)   #100
Hayleyv8
Rookie

Friday

ofcoourse timing will be better in qualifying then practice,

practice you are still learning the track if you have never been their before,

qualifying you know it a bit better and no doubt you have chosen a driver who has been there before anyway.
Closed Thread