Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Apr 2002, 19:00 (Ref:255880)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should we believe what we read?

So one day a friend of mine told me he wanted to sell his Civic. I needed a second car so I bought it. A few months later I went to Jamaica and saw the BTCC on sattelite. Loved the Honda cars. James Thompson was doing pretty well and I loved the look of the Accord. A year later I found F1. I have since been reading every piece on information that I can find about the sport. I never got to see Senna race or any of the other greats. Anyway, to the meat of the situation here. It seems there is so much misinformation in the media. I have read that there are so many developments coming for the honda motor. Well I just read that at the begining of the season it was dicsovered that the new design was not going to work. It seems Honda was used to using more robust parts to build their motor in search of more power. They changed their standards and strategy in an attempt to lighten the motor. Well it is lighter but also weaker. They seem to be stuck with another "dud". The new motor being worked on (I guess) will be more robust and able to take more of a pounding. They will be able to work it harder and get more power out of it.

Now to my initial question. What sites do you people read to get your most reliable bit of information. I am so tired of getting half of the story. I would like to be able to at least give a helf educated arguement instead of the guesses that it seems most sites make. What do you read?
Old 9 Apr 2002, 19:24 (Ref:255894)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Neilap,

I moved this one to Road car Forum, a better place to share views about this...
Old 9 Apr 2002, 19:29 (Ref:255898)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I reckon that 95% of all the coverage is rubbish. At best it is sensationalised and at worse it is fabricated.

Most reporting is all opinion based with no actual facts whatsoever. It's depressing and I find I can read a whole magazine/site and get nothing from it. It's partly the fault of the teams/drivers for not sharing all the information, but even considering this it is no excuse for the writers to make stuff up.

Sorry to be a bit negative about it.

Last edited by Adam43; 9 Apr 2002 at 19:33.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 19:34 (Ref:255903)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ooops... BAD move.

Sorry neilap, this is F1 indeed...

Can any mod bring it back to F1 forum, please ?

forgive me neilap.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 21:08 (Ref:255994)   #5
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
www.pitpass.com
I visit many but for no rumors or bull this is where I go.

Last edited by strad; 9 Apr 2002 at 21:09.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 21:10 (Ref:255998)   #6
strad
Veteran

here one too
www.grandprix.com
only I could make a typo out of the word here...hahahaha

Last edited by strad; 9 Apr 2002 at 21:11.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 21:12 (Ref:256000)   #7
strad
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by strad
here a good one too
www.grandprix.com
only I could make a typo out of the word here...hahahaha
Old 9 Apr 2002, 21:13 (Ref:256001)   #8
strad
Veteran

hahahahaha I must be too tired..hahahaha
can't even write.hahaha
Old 9 Apr 2002, 21:55 (Ref:256018)   #9
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've put this thread back into F1 as requested....which means for the first time ever, I've made a post in the F1 forum!!!
Old 9 Apr 2002, 22:28 (Ref:256040)   #10
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To find accurate news is very hard, the british and italian sites seem to print every rumor possible....and most of it tend to be rubish anyway.

The one I end to beleive a bit more is www.f1i.com.
As an example since the beginning they have printed the exact interviews with Honda, Villeuve and Panis...and they all stated that in their views they have made a little progress...and I state a little progress....but they are optimistik because the team is making progrees in the right direction.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 22:49 (Ref:256051)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
There is a site http://hondaf1.vtec.net/hf1.htm they are a Honda fan site. I visited their website today. On their message forum I found that I was misinformed about the whole season as far as the new motor was concerned. It is a pity that the midia does this. I usually read formulaone.com and dailyf1.com. They seemed free of BS. However now it seems they are subject to the same sketchy journalism. So all the statements about the next step for Honda is all pretty much garbage. The cars will not be any faster. Maybe, just maybe, more reliable. However, because of the media hype about the "next step", there will now be 2 weeks worth of disappointment to express about the Honda motor; enough to hold over till the next race. I feel places like this board are actually far more informative that the "news letters". So where is Honda really going with their development? Will Jenson be at Renault? Do RS and JPM really get along? These questions seem to be better answered here, than on www.idontknowsquat.com.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 22:52 (Ref:256055)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
How about F1-Live? I find that site quite informative. And I do not remember reading any outrageously untrue stories there. But guys, thanks for the other sites.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 23:14 (Ref:256065)   #13
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well formula1.com has been taken over by Bernie. Read what you will into that!
Old 9 Apr 2002, 23:38 (Ref:256074)   #14
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favorite site is: www.atlasf1.com

It requires a subscription, however. $40 a year, or a friend who is already a subscriber (like me) can buy you a gift subscription for $36. Expensive, but I think it's worth it.

My favorite free site -- lots of news, great pictures, live reports when the cars are on the track -- is the one mentioned by Valve: www.f1-live.com
Old 10 Apr 2002, 03:22 (Ref:256110)   #15
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NewsNow NewsLink F1 - updates every 5 minutes, 24-7

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/cgi/NewsNow...sLink&Theme=F1

www.F1Racing.net
Old 10 Apr 2002, 04:07 (Ref:256119)   #16
Mantis13
Racer

Mantis13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say f1-live is the best. They just get to the point of reporting the story. Also F1racing.net is quite good with the news.

Stay away from itv-f1.com IMO it's the worst news site on the net. Quite sad considering they cover the damm races.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 05:19 (Ref:256137)   #17
expert
Racer

expert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
www.autosport.com
Old 10 Apr 2002, 06:53 (Ref:256160)   #18
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the best source of information is right here guys! All of us pool what we have heard on our own grapevines and share it on the forum and then after reading what people think about each issue you can make your own opinion about what is more likely to be actually going on.....thanks my opinion anyways.....but of course I just read itv-f1 and formula1.com for most of my F1-stuff.......soooo mainstream huh? I rely on you guys for the real interesting stuff!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 07:32 (Ref:256169)   #19
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The site that I visit the most is this one http://www.f1world.be
It is a belgium site and what you have said about the Honda engine it whas standing there like you said they are have not build a new engine the only have worked on the reability of the engine and in a later stage if the engine got good reability they are again going to work to look after speed.

The bigest dream of Honda is to build the best engine in the Formula 1 and they think that this is the way to follow
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:58 (Ref:256422)   #20
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that's the main goal for every motor constructor...
Old 10 Apr 2002, 16:15 (Ref:256564)   #21
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
However Honda wants to build it their own way. doing things differently and learning what does and does not work. That might be the reason for the rotating engineers. Now that they have covered the stuff that does not work...
Old 11 Apr 2002, 05:34 (Ref:256953)   #22
Aussiefan

There are so many F1 sites on the net now that I find it hard to believe some pieces I read. Some sites seem better than others. Some sites seem to have decent news pieces but many will have a single quote from a press conference or something then build a complete story from it which is usually speculative. Others will just reproduce what is on other sites.

Last edited by Aussiefan; 11 Apr 2002 at 05:36.

Old 11 Apr 2002, 06:49 (Ref:256981)   #23
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Neilap.As some of the others have allready said-most of it is made up.Yes the italians & the brits are the worst.The italian media are just plain lunatics,whereas the brits think they are more staid and reliable but the bias is there.Witness they way they rubbished both BMW & tToyota for not wanting to build their cars in F1 land.And they're ALLWAYS going on & on about whoever the best british driver is-We do NOT want to hear every little thing that coulthard says!
Old 11 Apr 2002, 16:19 (Ref:257370)   #24
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Maybe it is a case of different cultures. In the US, sites will be ruined if they report garbage. I remember when CNN was reporting on the 911 bombings. They gave out some wrong information and were ridiculed. It is understandable that they would make mistakes in such a tramatic time. So imagine how important accuracy is in less tramatic times. I guess the good thing is that we usually find out the truth with good detective work. Interactive media! I think I have just coined a new phrase.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 19:51 (Ref:257536)   #25
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
Sorry Neilap.As some of the others have allready said-most of it is made up.Yes the italians & the brits are the worst.
Yes the last 5 or 6 stories out of the Italian press about Barrichelo...not being happy about the testing, about receiving the f2001 instead of the f2002. Them offering him a pay cut for the next contract.

None of these rumors are bassed on facts, just created for the headlines.....

Im not a big Barrichelo fan....but I like facts not hear say.....