Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Jun 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1626116)   #1
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the LM cars you fell in love with that you never thought you would?

hiya people,

this thread is made to get you to reveal what your favorite sportscar racer is but the one you thought you would never fall in love with.
my love affait with sportscars started with just 1 car, the lola T98/10 DAMS run car that raced at lemans in 1999 i loved that car so much and when i went to see the LMES last year at silverstone i fell in love with a car i did not even really know about, the del bello noel courage C65 mecachrome, i just loved the way it looked with the orange light covers, the engine sounded do different from the rather humdrum at the time judd V8's which everyone seemed to be using in LMP2, it sounded mad and ballistic almost like a BTCC car gone very angry and loud all of a sudden, and i fell in love with the felbamayer porsche 911 GT3 RS, i later found out that the driver of this porsche was staying at the same hotel i was staying in for the 2 nights i stayed there in towcester.

so i ask people fire away on the underdog machinery as i like to call it
Old 3 Jun 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1626124)   #2
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, that LMES meeting at Silverstone last year was, sadly enough, my first taste of LMP action, even if I have been to goodness knows how many GT races. But I did surprise myself by taking an odd shining to the new Pilbeam. They've changed the engine now, though.

Another car is one that didn't race at Le Mans, but it's a car I never thought I'd be cheering on. The Ultima GTR - hardly a pretty looking car, nor has it ever really been particularly competitive. In fact for a little while about 5 years ago I generally resented anything that wasn't a Lister or a Marcos, and thought the Ultima was particularly ugly at the time. Yet in '05 it was the saviour of the BGT Donington race I visited - easily the loudest thing there, making the nicest noise (the noise means a lot to me, the TVR's were great, too), spitting out the biggest flames and generally being something that wasn't a Porsche or a Ferrari. Through rose-tinted specs it reminded me of BGT's "golden" days, even though I kinda hated the car back then.

I'm also something of a Morgan fan even though a lot of people I know seem to think they're daft...
Old 3 Jun 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1626182)   #3
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
I'm also something of a Morgan fan even though a lot of people I know seem to think they're daft...
I'm with you on the Aero8 - in the event that the lottery ticket ever comes in I'd be tempted by a serious campaign in one of those - sure there's all sorts of reasons why its a daft idea but the sheer drama of them but why not?

As for the nuts choices - I warmed to WM when they decided that their sole mission in life was simply to propel Roger Dorchy down Les Hunaudieres as fast as at all possible. More recently I wanted to dislike MG's prototype attempt, but to be frank couldn't at all - still like them going round for Autocon and Highcroft and despite my first impressions will miss the octagon when it's gone.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1627422)   #4
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm patriotic, usually follow a British Car, but this year ( and last ) its Pescarolo.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1627505)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
The Rafanelli Lola B2K/10 , the one that looks like a John Deer tractor . Lovely looking car . Reminds me a bit like a souped up Moggy Minor !!!
Old 5 Jun 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1627596)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Les Valliant (aka Pesca) et les Leader (aka Audi R10). Bob Kramer (aka Tom K) vs. Michel Valliant (aka Seb Loeb)

this year is a comic book classic, but I love the DAMS run cars from the film - (and am trying to buy the bodywork of one of them)
Old 5 Jun 2006, 15:23 (Ref:1627658)   #7
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I have a bit of a soft spot for slow LMP2 French entries. The Deboras and WRs of this world that really shouldn't be there, are slower than even some of the GT2s, yet are part of the uniqueness and quirkeness of Le Mans. (Sorry Ayse...)
Old 5 Jun 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1627682)   #8
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Anything run by people like Hugh Chamberlain - who epitomise the spirit of Le Mans
Old 5 Jun 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1627817)   #9
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That very noisy wailing banschee Mazda thing. Howling the night away

It had 3 very rapid F1 drivers who seemed to want to thrash the whatit's of it so they could go home as soon as it broke !

However it held together and only after 23 3/4 hours they realised they had it won and reduced the revs by a semi quarter of a tad.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1627982)   #10
F360
Racer

F360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being biased as you can probably guess from my moniker, I loved the sound of the Ferrari 333SP wail......but THAT Mazda rotary was just amazing. Never heard anything like it, before or since !
High revving atmo's do it for me.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1628485)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Anything run by people like Hugh Chamberlain - who epitomise the spirit of Le Mans

Absolutely spot on Mal. And I'm going to pick those lovely Lotuses (Loti?) from 1993 in particular.

I was also going to vehemently disagree with Allon, but looking at it again I have to concede he's entirely correct..........

Last edited by Aysedasi; 6 Jun 2006 at 12:48.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 12:46 (Ref:1628489)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Also the Mazda (nee Jaguar) from 1992. That car looked the mutts nuts and its performance in the first few laps (when driven splendidly by Volker Weidler) made it worth going for me - when so many others couldn't be bothered.........
Old 6 Jun 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1628502)   #13
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Being English to the core I should have hated the Atmo peugeots but they were different and somehow they had that something, can't explain it but a joy to watch especially on the mulsanne.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1628510)   #14
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've always liked cars running big old production based American pushrod V8s, mainly due to the noise, but also from the inherent simplicity of them compared with the screaming F1-derived V10s. The Lister LMP seems to be the last of the line though.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1628517)   #15
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Also the Mazda (nee Jaguar) from 1992. That car looked the mutts nuts and its performance in the first few laps (when driven splendidly by Volker Weidler) made it worth going for me - when so many others couldn't be bothered.........
You mean the MXR-01 ??
This
I dont know I've always prefered the 787b, but I supose that could be down to the sound !
Old 6 Jun 2006, 14:28 (Ref:1628544)   #16
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe I am putting this in writing - as this car ended the BPR series!

I hated it with every moral fibre in me; rationalised all that was evil about it; loathed its rule-breaking; sneered at the stupidly impractical road version; baffled by the terrible first season paintjob; and to top it all off - it stole from me many years of watching the greatest car ever made (McLaren F1).

Yet as I watch the 1997 Le Mans video every now and then, I simply love the original 1996 body Porsche 911 GT1, as it appeared in customer hands in 1997.

Forget about the ugly, fat, overweight looking works EVO version, and concentrate on the simple lines of the original GT1 - there's a lot to like.

As a racing car, it really looks the ducks nuts when in the company of equals like the Mercedes, Nissan, Panoz, McLaren and Lotus.

It has a pretty basic Porsche turbo engine, and while hardly revolutionary in design, it seems perrenially modern to look at.

Best of all, were the customer paintjobs - from subtle Roock racing to the revolting North American paintjobs, it was no longer Goliath but instead a gaudy work-horse for the everyday racer.

From the very beginning, it wasn't a very good car, but like all Porsches, it found a race track somewhere in the world for years to come, outliving every other car from that era.

It is far from my favourite car, but I love it now for what it is - something I did not think possible even five years ago.

Good thread topic.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1628879)   #17
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Les Valliant (aka Pesca) et les Leader (aka Audi R10). Bob Kramer (aka Tom K) vs. Michel Valliant (aka Seb Loeb)

this year is a comic book classic, but I love the DAMS run cars from the film - (and am trying to buy the bodywork of one of them)
I dunno.... Lola B98/10-"Peugeot" (actually Roush-Ford) - Vaillant, and Panoz - Leader -- I was there when they were shooting that movie

(Not a patch on the original TV series which was top stuff - full of great 60s F3 and sports car action).
Old 6 Jun 2006, 22:55 (Ref:1628883)   #18
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another vote for Pescarolo's Courages. I thought they looked fantastic once de Cortanze had rebodied them and that lime green's a wonderful love/hate colour
Old 6 Jun 2006, 23:27 (Ref:1628897)   #19
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ wake me up and i'll be back in 1989 with the wonderful Group C cars.........
Seen these cars and they leave me empty compared to prototypes of the 60s, 70s and 80s. Get a life and go and see the Historic Group C championship.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 00:15 (Ref:1628908)   #20
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Panoz GT1 car, the yellow and blue Pilbeam from 2003, loved that car for some reason...
Old 7 Jun 2006, 00:20 (Ref:1628910)   #21
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
maybe age has played tricks on your eyesight

don't get me wrong . i love the 512s . the 312 . the Nissan GroupC . the Pug .. but i also love the Toyota GT-One or the Courage LC70 ..

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Jun 2006, 00:21 (Ref:1628911)   #22
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love to have been there in the late 90's... well most eras really, they've all got their standouts, but there was some great cars in 99.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 00:58 (Ref:1628922)   #23
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd Love to have been there.

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Jun 2006, 08:02 (Ref:1629048)   #24
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche 917, loving the enemy.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 08:09 (Ref:1629058)   #25
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
99 was my first year and it is only in retrospect that I appreciated how good it was. I think your first Le Mans is a bit overwhelming, so the race itself sort of gets lost. I sort of naively thought every year would be like that.

Actually my main memories of the 99 cars there are the Audi coupe with the gunshot backfire on every upshift and enjoying for a few hours the glorious sound of the Ferrrari 333SP.