Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jun 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3256761)   #576
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
So Hembery really is Johnny English ?
I was suspecting it since the very beginning

http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/06/02/p...ohnny-english/
Interesting, what do think Scott ?
Old 2 Jun 2013, 18:29 (Ref:3256774)   #577
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
So Hembery really is Johnny English ?
I was suspecting it since the very beginning

http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/06/02/p...ohnny-english/
I imigine the men in Paris will be interested in that little lot of information, there are serious odours beginning to appear.
Will the FIA come down like a tonof lead or feathers?
Old 2 Jun 2013, 22:01 (Ref:3256859)   #578
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I imigine the men in Paris will be interested in that little lot of information, there are serious odours beginning to appear.
Will the FIA come down like a tonof lead or feathers?
Getting hit by a ton of anything is going to be fatal. It just takes more feathers than lead.
Old 2 Jun 2013, 22:24 (Ref:3256869)   #579
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well that's the answer we are waiting for. It could be anything really...
Watching the Indycars they don't appear to have tyre issues...

They also have passing and racing....but we'll worry about tyres first..
Old 2 Jun 2013, 23:28 (Ref:3256882)   #580
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185
Getting hit by a ton of anything is going to be fatal. It just takes more feathers than lead.
More feathers than lead?

I suppose we would have determine what a Standard Feather Unit (SFU) and a Standard Lead Unit (SLU) is before we could try to assess the validity of that. I do, however, struggle to see how to go about achieving such agreement on the attributes, ergo relative values, of a single SFU and a single SLU.

It would, of course, remain irrelevant either way. A ton is a ton is a ton, regardless of the relative number of individual units required to create it.
Old 2 Jun 2013, 23:49 (Ref:3256889)   #581
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
More feathers than lead?

I suppose we would have determine what a Standard Feather Unit (SFU) and a Standard Lead Unit (SLU) is before we could try to assess the validity of that. I do, however, struggle to see how to go about achieving such agreement on the attributes, ergo relative values, of a single SFU and a single SLU.

It would, of course, remain irrelevant either way. A ton is a ton is a ton, regardless of the relative number of individual units required to create it.
Unfortunately to determine the SLU and SFU, we would need to conduct an illegal in season test
Old 2 Jun 2013, 23:54 (Ref:3256890)   #582
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It's OK, we could just blame Ferrari.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 11:34 (Ref:3257078)   #583
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post

Compared to F1, the tyre regs are pretty straight forward,

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106896

nothing overly complicated, which seems to be how F1 is these day. Whatever happened to the racing?
Old 3 Jun 2013, 12:18 (Ref:3257100)   #584
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pirelli confident tweaked tyres will be accepted by F1 teams
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107847

Quote:
"At the moment, it looks like there is unanimous agreement."
I don't buy this... If there is even a very tiny improvement in the durability of the tyres someone will oppose the change in my opinion.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3257124)   #585
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post

in IndyCar you get to watch them conserve fuel for most of the race. The first 3/4 of the 500 saving fuel is all that got talked about.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 13:27 (Ref:3257134)   #586
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Compared to F1, the tyre regs are pretty straight forward,

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106896

nothing overly complicated, which seems to be how F1 is these day. Whatever happened to the racing?
One have to wonder...
Old 4 Jun 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3257700)   #587
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/06/0...ret-tyre-test/
Old 5 Jun 2013, 01:03 (Ref:3257836)   #588
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post
Good read and why I'm not surprised ?
Old 5 Jun 2013, 01:16 (Ref:3257838)   #589
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post

MotoGp down the road from me, that was a mind blowing experience...
But they're still saving tyres and the ECUs control the mandated amount of fuel, so if you see someone dropping back towards the end of the race, it isn't necessarily because everyone else is trying to ride faster.

Le Mans is mostly about reliabilty, it's basically about saving everything and balancing that against performance over the course of 24 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
F1 is nothing without those endless conspiracies theories...
Tyregate.

Quote:
I would just like to see a situation where they supply the tyres that they believe are correct for F1, without the FIA being involved in the process...

I don't like the "lets spice up the action" scenario, it just sounds contrived...
The FIA must be involved in the process of tyre supply, and probably have been since at least Indy 2005.

"Tyres that they believe are correct for F1"

Not sure what that means. Please explain.

Quote:
It seems unthinkable to me that with all the really *smart* people involved from Mercedes and Pirelli, that any rules have been broken ??
Pirelli probably didn't give a damn what car anyone was using as long as they got to test some tyres. It's not for Pirelli to know what the sporting regulations have to say about how old the car should be. As for Mercedes, well they seem to be in a bit of a pickle, both on and off track.

Quote:
Interesting, what do think Scott ?
Yes, tyres are always interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post
in IndyCar you get to watch them conserve fuel for most of the race. The first 3/4 of the 500 saving fuel is all that got talked about.
Nothing new about that. There seems to be this impression that everything in the past in F1 was just 100%, flat-out, pedal-to-the metal, from start to finish. Never has been.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 02:29 (Ref:3257854)   #590
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
well glad you could join us...

So these tire things, well something that lasts more than a few laps, is that SO difficult ? for 5674 sake.

Last edited by JeremySmith; 5 Jun 2013 at 02:39.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 04:42 (Ref:3257881)   #591
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Given we have no refueling, then we need either tyres that present challenges like they do now (or a challenge by being race-life tyres, which are designed to need managing to last properly).

If we have tyres that are reliably decent at all times for the teams, and we also have no refueling, then be prepared for a large number of rather uninteresting and processional races. There is an argument which could be made that would say this would be purer, but there would be a great deal of complaining.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 09:30 (Ref:3257933)   #592
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, it seems clear that Pirelli will remain in F1 then

Bridgestone rules out returning to F1
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107869
Old 5 Jun 2013, 09:36 (Ref:3257939)   #593
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bridgestone says they won't be back.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107869
Old 5 Jun 2013, 12:20 (Ref:3258006)   #594
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So, it seems clear that Pirelli will remain in F1 then
How is it clear that Pirelli will?
Old 5 Jun 2013, 12:51 (Ref:3258019)   #595
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
well glad you could join us...
I've been unwell.

Quote:
So these tire things, well something that lasts more than a few laps, is that SO difficult ? for 5674 sake.
They generally last for more than a few laps. Pirelli, I'm sure, could make them last for a few races. Do you know why that would be a bad thing?

Quote:
Given we have no refueling, then we need either tyres that present challenges like they do now (or a challenge by being race-life tyres, which are designed to need managing to last properly).
Yes, but race-life tyres to Lotus aren't the same as race-life tyres to Mercedes. Lotus could easily argue that they have no problem with the current tyres, they last long enough.

Quote:
If we have tyres that are reliably decent at all times for the teams, and we also have no refueling, then be prepared for a large number of rather uninteresting and processional races. There is an argument which could be made that would say this would be purer, but there would be a great deal of complaining.
That's a fact!
Old 5 Jun 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3258021)   #596
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
It would appear that they now have a great deal of bargaining power. I wouldn't be leaving just yet.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 13:16 (Ref:3258030)   #597
jsTrecu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Sorry I meant "clearer", as two probable brands have already dismissed the possibility of replacing Pirelli.
Who else is left ?
Old 5 Jun 2013, 13:19 (Ref:3258031)   #598
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Scott sorry you have not been feeling well mate, I hope you are recovering..
Old 5 Jun 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3258040)   #599
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama?
Old 5 Jun 2013, 14:17 (Ref:3258046)   #600
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama?
Would they enter F1 if they were asked to do what Pirelli have been asked to do? i.e make tyres and take tyres to races that last for around 20 laps regardless of which circuit your at. Not as easy as it sounds.