Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2001, 03:54 (Ref:97600)   #1
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
How about the Renault Engine?

It seems that Renault have started to see the light at the end of hte tunnel. Fisi was actually keeping right up with Jacques and the Jordan of Jarno Trulli. That in itself must be some miraculous achievement because up till now, they couldn't even keep up with Minardi. Renault did promise something by hte French GP, but it seems that they will be a threat for points again come next race. That engine needs more race testing - maybe Paul Stoddart could offer his srvices - anyone have Renault's telephone number; if so, please give it to Paul.
Old 28 May 2001, 09:40 (Ref:97714)   #2
JoMiSaP
Rookie

JoMiSaP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

How about JV and Fernando Alonso in a Renault in 2002 winning some races? And fighting for the championship in 2003?

It could happen JV almost went to Benetton last year and Alonso is in contract with Renault (he is on loan this year at Minardi).
Old 28 May 2001, 11:03 (Ref:97734)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that you can garner any useful information about the Renault engine, in relation to it's power output from Monaco. But the fact that it didn't blow up is a bright spot. The chassis on the other hand looks like it's becoming a little more manageable. But like Jaguar, I think the jury should remain out until more useful info is acquired.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 28 May 2001, 14:17 (Ref:97823)   #4
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Engine power means NOWT at Monte. Benetton will be back to their usual form come Canada. Still, enemy, at least it din't do it's usual "BANG!" noise!
Old 28 May 2001, 16:37 (Ref:97882)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Hi Tristan. I'm still a relative newbie to forum speak, so what does 'NOWT' stand for?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 29 May 2001, 06:33 (Ref:98180)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
i'M NOT SO SURE - THRE MUST HAVE BEEN SOME IMPROVEMENT TO HTE ENGINE - THEY MUST HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SOLVE SOME OF HTE VIBRATION/IMBALANCE/WHATEVER PROBLEMS TO QUALIFY THAT HIGH. Sorry fo rhte caps.
Old 29 May 2001, 08:59 (Ref:98235)   #7
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monaco doesnt demand as much power as most other circuits. Plus aerodynamics play a larger role than engine power in F1.
Arrows doesnt regularly set highest trap speeds due to the "dominating" power of their AMT engine. Its because the chassis is aerodynamically efficient, yet lacks downforce. Which explains their poor performance in Monaco, and the need for add-on front wings. Bennetons good performance was due to a decent chassis. Not engine power. Plus Fisichella is a great driver who usually does well at Monaco, which explains the great qualifying performance. Button qualified where he usually does.
They will be slow again in Canada, a fast circuit which puts more of an importance on engine performance.
Old 29 May 2001, 09:36 (Ref:98250)   #8
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's easy for the team to concentrate all the power on the lower end of the revs, but Monaco is as has already been said, an aerodynamics circuit - obviously the Benetton car is a pretty good little piece of kit, it's just that the engine is rather ****.

Jaguar? Where did they score their only points last year? I rest my case.
Old 29 May 2001, 10:44 (Ref:98259)   #9
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Total-F1
Monaco is as has already been said, an aerodynamics circuit
And driver's one.
Bennetton is improving, but not faster than other are. Maybe they will be able to overtake Minardi and Prost, but not the other team, which are far already.
Old 29 May 2001, 11:05 (Ref:98273)   #10
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
Hi Tristan. I'm still a relative newbie to forum speak, so what does 'NOWT' stand for?
Us North Americans would say "nothing". The British started with, "naught" which is bad enough, and went downhill from there.

NAAAthing - Nawwwwat - Nowt
Old 29 May 2001, 11:44 (Ref:98289)   #11
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Thank You Maxmil, and here I was trying to decipher an abbreviation that didn't exist.