Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Sep 2017, 17:03 (Ref:3765683)   #76
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The Alta is a nice looking car, looks very period correct as well.
The first bit of understeer exiting chicane I thought was show boating, the next bit looked more like Gareth checking the seals on his pants!

Q: (I'm sure Its been asked before) Why did Lotus/Alfa/BMW develop Gp2 saloons in the 60's when an A40 is faster?
Old 9 Sep 2017, 17:22 (Ref:3765685)   #77
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You are such a stirrer Joe
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 9 Sep 2017, 17:35 (Ref:3765688)   #78
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!

Just watched repeat of the juniors race. Fantastic as always!
Old 9 Sep 2017, 18:12 (Ref:3765689)   #79
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
The Alta is a nice looking car, looks very period correct as well.
The first bit of understeer exiting chicane I thought was show boating, the next bit looked more like Gareth checking the seals on his pants!

Q: (I'm sure Its been asked before) Why did Lotus/Alfa/BMW develop Gp2 saloons in the 60's when an A40 is faster?
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 9 Sep 2017, 18:36 (Ref:3765694)   #80
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Bonhams Auction results are on line- http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/2412...ction_0=2&m0=0

To save you looking, the Galaxie went for £471,900 including premium.... A couple of bargains among the other 'Sears Collection' cars- Jack's own Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth that he owned from new, and his Father's 1971 LHD BMW 3.0s that spent most of its early life on the Algarve. Lovely car....

Sorry to see our Brian A's 'Minnie the Minx' didn't sell.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 20:11 (Ref:3765705)   #81
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Bonhams Auction results are on line- http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/2412...ction_0=2&m0=0

To save you looking, the Galaxie went for £471,900 including premium.... A couple of bargains among the other 'Sears Collection' cars- Jack's own Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth that he owned from new, and his Father's 1971 LHD BMW 3.0s that spent most of its early life on the Algarve. Lovely car....

I thought the 1964 Mini Cooper S looked like strong money ... until I came to the first E Type and then some of the bigger numbers.

I suspect there is a message in there somewhere. Just not sure exactly what it is.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 20:49 (Ref:3765711)   #82
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
St Mary's for the pros, a tad damp
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0827.jpg   IMG_0829.jpg   IMG_0845.jpg  

IMG_0905.jpg   IMG_1005.jpg   IMG_1041.jpg  

Old 9 Sep 2017, 21:10 (Ref:3765714)   #83
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone spot the twin fuselage plane along with the spitfire and hurricane at lunchtime? Can't remember the name, beautiful twin prop - Lockheed lightning?
Superb drive once again from Mike Jordan in the GT40 from the back row in the wet Whitsun trophy race.

Last edited by justracing; 9 Sep 2017 at 21:15.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 21:16 (Ref:3765715)   #84
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Goodwood trophy:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1140.jpg   IMG_1178.jpg   IMG_1185.jpg  

IMG_1215.jpg   IMG_1227.jpg   IMG_1142.jpg  

Old 10 Sep 2017, 05:31 (Ref:3765770)   #85
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Did anyone spot the twin fuselage plane along with the spitfire and hurricane at lunchtime? Can't remember the name, beautiful twin prop - Lockheed lightning?
Think there is a Lockheed P38 Lightning on the display circuit, so probably that. They're described as 'twin boom', as only one fuselage, where the driver sits....
Old 10 Sep 2017, 06:33 (Ref:3765771)   #86
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Yes - I went along to see what happened to Minnie, the current owner has not used the car since buying her from me about 18 months ago.

I don't think that Louise and Jason's TVR sold either although there is always a deal to be done afterwards.

Last edited by Brian A; 10 Sep 2017 at 06:34. Reason: Addition
Old 10 Sep 2017, 08:18 (Ref:3765779)   #87
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprised there are no 'bumps' in that Fiat 500 parade - its of ducking and diving. Some brave cyclists too!
Old 10 Sep 2017, 10:01 (Ref:3765815)   #88
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some of the stuff in the auction was silly money, but some if it quite reasonable.

Lovely XK150 seemed to go cheap while anything called an Etype, a far more common car sells for stupid money.

Weird these car collectors!!
Old 10 Sep 2017, 10:24 (Ref:3765828)   #89
merak1974
Racer

Norway
Oslo
merak1974 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow - it may not look as beautiful as its 250F siblings, but that Richmond Trophy winning Tec-Mec Maserati was really flying
Old 10 Sep 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3765847)   #90
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
Yes - I went along to see what happened to Minnie, the current owner has not used the car since buying her from me about 18 months ago.

I don't think that Louise and Jason's TVR sold either although there is always a deal to be done afterwards.
Shame about Minnie- should have been racing in this Revival! Didn't click who's the Griff was. Lovely car.

The one car on the list I have always hankered after looks now to be out of my price range- the Gordon-Keeble......

merak1974- not a Maser owner by any chance?
Old 10 Sep 2017, 12:56 (Ref:3765862)   #91
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Some of the stuff in the auction was silly money, but some if it quite reasonable.

Lovely XK150 seemed to go cheap while anything called an Etype, a far more common car sells for stupid money.

Weird these car collectors!!
I wonder if any of them will be (temporarily?) converted to electric power?

http://media.jaguar.com/news/2017/09...0&brand=jaguar
Old 10 Sep 2017, 14:25 (Ref:3765867)   #92
merak1974
Racer

Norway
Oslo
merak1974 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

merak1974- not a Maser owner by any chance?
I do have a couple, yes....
Old 10 Sep 2017, 15:17 (Ref:3765870)   #93
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've managed to catch a lot of the you tube coverage and I have to say there's a lot here that the non enthusiast would find of interest. The amount of knowledge from the commentators especially when it comes to things like the Vanwall and Ecurie Ecosse stories
Was pretty good. Has I not known where the history of British success at Le Mans came from that story would have helped.
Old 10 Sep 2017, 15:31 (Ref:3765871)   #94
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It is quality stuff, indeed. I hope that the fabulous cars, the slip angles they can attain and the closeness of (most of) the racing on the stream results in some more historic racing converts.......
Old 10 Sep 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3765872)   #95
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes my thoughts exactly.
Old 10 Sep 2017, 15:53 (Ref:3765873)   #96
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would seem as though only a few of us die-in-the-wool types are watching on the YouTube channel. According to their on-screen info, there are only about 4,000 watching at this moment.
Old 10 Sep 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3765874)   #97
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just appeared on the Goodwood Twitter feed - sounds like it could be a long evening in the car-parks:

"If you are stuck in the car parks, please put on your hazard lights and fit the towing eye to the car. Help will be on its way."
Old 10 Sep 2017, 16:52 (Ref:3765877)   #98
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Just appeared on the Goodwood Twitter feed - sounds like it could be a long evening in the car-parks:

"If you are stuck in the car parks, please put on your hazard lights and fit the towing eye to the car. Help will be on its way."
And of course most of the trucks and transporters are parked on grass as well! I've heard some scary stories about towing them out.......
Old 10 Sep 2017, 17:02 (Ref:3765879)   #99
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It would seem as though only a few of us die-in-the-wool types are watching on the YouTube channel. According to their on-screen info, there are only about 4,000 watching at this moment.
Highest figure I saw earlier was 6.5k, so that still ain't a lot. The Goody channel is permanent, though, from my understanding, so the races can be watched at any time?

Well done to the commentary team! The best anywhere......
Old 10 Sep 2017, 17:07 (Ref:3765880)   #100
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting TT. Was Chris Ward under too much pressure to get another win?