Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Jun 2018, 12:00 (Ref:3828883)   #26
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm genuinely saddened when any race circuit is having difficulties, however I can't say I'll particularly miss Rockingham, for me it's the worst venue on the calendar for trackside spectating, and it's especially bad if you happen to like taking photos.

As Sodemo said, if you're in the grandstand then you might as well be watching toy cars racing they're that far away, and other than that you've got the start/finish straight or the roof of the pit building.

As far as alternatives go, I'd love to see them going round Cadwell for a giggle, but it makes Oulton look positively wide, and Combe hasn't got the facilities. I'd quite like to see Anglesey given a go, but I'm not sure what they have in terms of facilities, and it's not the most accessible place in the world.

Much as I'm not a big fan of Silverstone, surely the International layout could be an option? It's essentially a whole different track at the same location.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 12:03 (Ref:3828884)   #27
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadwell would be impossible, it’s far too narrow.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3828885)   #28
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
This might be a subtle hint to some other tracks, such as Cadwell and Castle Combe that they may be considered if they improved their infrastructure to accommodate the large crowds that attend and the number of facilities that the TOCA package requires to operate successfully for a weekend.

BTCC at Cadwell would be carnage!
Old 13 Jun 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3828887)   #29
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
BTCC at Cadwell would be carnage!
Personally i'd love to see them at Combe, but then I think of them and all the support series squeezing into quarry corner and think it would rival Cadwell for the carnage!
Old 13 Jun 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3828889)   #30
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
Much as I'm not a big fan of Silverstone, surely the International layout could be an option? It's essentially a whole different track at the same location.
Access to the paddock isn't simple and it's also not big enough to house all the series either. That's why f1 and wec have support teams down at the original pits.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 13:18 (Ref:3828893)   #31
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If I recall correctly, the reason British GT stopped running at Castle Combe was due to the noise limit imposed by the council planning committee. I believe the BTCC runs at an upper limit of 115dB(A), but Combe's upper limit is 108dB.

Nice idea, but won't happen.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3828894)   #32
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
Series director Alan Gow said Thruxton's extra event was an experiment for 2019 but that other current circuits could get additional rounds beyond that.

"We will double up at Thruxton and see how that goes - although that 'spare' date that we now have isn't set in stone," he explained.

"We will try Thruxton, but equally we could double up at other venues in years to come.

"We have had two rounds at places like Oulton Park before, and that has worked well."
From this I would like to think it will be for 2019 only, and then hopefully be replaced by Lake Torrent for 2020 onwards.

On the Rockingham side, from a TV viewer's perspective it is a circuit that really suits the BTCC, so I would love to see it back in the near future.

Maybe if they demolish the top half of the oval and sell off the land, they can improve the spectator facilities.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 14:14 (Ref:3828904)   #33
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone mentioned street circuit and I'd love to see that happen but unfortunately there's no street circuit in the UK. Formula E raced on Battersea Park in one season but they no longer race there and no one would allow loud racing cars there.
I'd like to see how BTCC race would look like on a street circuit. In Aussie Supercars, street races look great but I suspect BTCC would be destruction derby.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 15:13 (Ref:3828924)   #34
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Someone mentioned street circuit and I'd love to see that happen but unfortunately there's no street circuit in the UK. Formula E raced on Battersea Park in one season but they no longer race there and no one would allow loud racing cars there.
I'd like to see how BTCC race would look like on a street circuit. In Aussie Supercars, street races look great but I suspect BTCC would be destruction derby.

Temporary circuit infrastructure costs are terrifying, I can't see TOCA or a promoter commiting to that and the days of local authorities funding things like this to promote the city or area are long gone.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3828938)   #35
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Brands Hatch Indy — You can see it all from the grandstand.

Knockhill — You can see all of it from the central hill area.

I agree that on paper, a fresh track is the best solution for fans at first. But does Mondello have easy access, space in the paddock for the now massive hospitality for a big grid and a cheap (i.e. free) ferry deal for teams? Not sure it does.

Perhaps a compromise could have been the round at a venue that has an alternate layout i.e. Donington with the loop, or the full GP Silverstone layout? (Yes, I know Gow has poo-pooed this previously, and I get why. It's such a long track, it will make it look like 6 people are attending with empty grandstands and such)
ITV won't like the GP circuit at Silverstone as it requires so much more resources than the current National track.

The Donington loop doesn't add anything to the racing. I would like to see OP getting a second visit although judging by the recent snoozefest I doubt many people will want to see another meeting there.

So that leaves Snetterton and Knockhill, I can't see the Scottish market support a second meeting north of the border.

So in future it looks like Thruxton and Snetterton will share the second meeting.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3828941)   #36
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and cue another no soft round (due to risk of tyres going bang) therefore next year 8 races will have tyre choices
Old 13 Jun 2018, 16:12 (Ref:3828956)   #37
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
ITV won't like the GP circuit at Silverstone as it requires so much more resources than the current National track.

The Donington loop doesn't add anything to the racing. I would like to see OP getting a second visit although judging by the recent snoozefest I doubt many people will want to see another meeting there.

So that leaves Snetterton and Knockhill, I can't see the Scottish market support a second meeting north of the border.

So in future it looks like Thruxton and Snetterton will share the second meeting.
Yup, all good points.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 16:29 (Ref:3828968)   #38
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anglesey Circuit? Would need the start line not next to the pits.
Pembrey and Kirkistown have access issues to the paddock (well no access during races unless temporary bridge added).
Mallory Park, just no

Continental Europe?
Zandvoort, Zolder, Assen, Le Mans, Nurburgring, Spa, Val de Vienne, Mettet, Magny-Cours. Probably too costly, Knockhill is bad enough for some teams.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3828980)   #39
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClarrpz View Post
Anglesey Circuit? Would need the start line not next to the pits.
Pembrey and Kirkistown have access issues to the paddock (well no access during races unless temporary bridge added).
Mallory Park, just no

Continental Europe?
Zandvoort, Zolder, Assen, Le Mans, Nurburgring, Spa, Val de Vienne, Mettet, Magny-Cours. Probably too costly, Knockhill is bad enough for some teams.
what? anglesey, kirkistown, pembery and mallory have nowhere near the infrastructure to deal with the size of the btcc. they are 'club racing' venues.

and why would the btcc bother to do a very expensive round in continental europe and just completely ignore its fanbase in the uk?
Old 13 Jun 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3828986)   #40
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post

The Scottish market would certainly support a second race, as it's absolutely packed for the BTCC event. But I doubt the teams would be up for it. It wasn't long ago that some teams didn't bother going to Knockhill as it was more than a 15 minute drive and they were worried about the costs of having to buy a sausage roll at a service station.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3829005)   #41
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
This might be a subtle hint to some other tracks, such as Cadwell and Castle Combe that they may be considered if they improved their infrastructure to accommodate the large crowds that attend and the number of facilities that the TOCA package requires to operate successfully for a weekend.
I don't read it that way at all. It's a subtle reminder of exactly why the BTCC can't/won't go to other tracks. Something which Gow has explained on more than one occasion.

You would hope it would stop the endless 'why don't you go to [Cadwell / Anglesea / insert circuit of choice]' questions, but seemingly not. Based on comments on some social media it's clear that many fans ever see the headline and don't bother to read full story.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3829014)   #42
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClarrpz View Post
Continental Europe?
back in 2005-2006 British GT had races in France, how the heck was this possible and not BTCC
Old 13 Jun 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3829019)   #43
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
back in 2005-2006 British GT had races in France, how the heck was this possible and not BTCC
BGT still races at Spa.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3829023)   #44
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
because they don’t have a very large uk fanbase to ignore and upset.

of course btcc could race in France or Belgium but why on earth would they want the teams to spend a lot of money doing that which will also reduce the amount of people watching the championship!
Old 13 Jun 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3829027)   #45
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
BGT has a significant amount of 'wealth', or put simply Gentlemen with expensive weekend hobbies, so the cash flow model differs.

BTCC teams are utterly dependent on sponsors cash: there are not really any Gentlemen drivers: Mr George is the last one I would sit in that category. I will add a thoroughly decent Gentleman too, whose hobby assisted others presence on the grid.

I do believe our Scottish brethren would turn out en masse for two events: one early season and the other late Aug/ early Sep would work. There are a number of Scottish race series that could potentially cover the support package too if the F4, Clios etc. were exempted from the travel. Several BTCC teams did cry off Knockhill before the licencing system: yes, it's not exactly local for Bartie or Shaun H, but a days run in a HGV can cover the distance.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3829032)   #46
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
BGT still races at Spa.
Whilst British GT (and F3, for that matter) did have a number of foreign rounds in the mid part of the last decade, this was - in part - due to a falling out with MSV and, as such, access to their circuits wasn't possible. Secondly, British GT/F3 primarily exists for funded drivers to race either for fun or as a stepping stone. As such, they are better placed to race abroad as the main determining factor is competitor demand (and whether they want to pay for it). BTCC is in a different place, as although the bulk of drivers are paying to be part of it, the commercial factors are different - also, is it a simple/cost effective process for live TV from a foreign circuit to be arranged?

Given the size of the BTCC entourage, there aren't many options for a replacent of Rockingham: Silverstone International, Cadwell, Pembrey, Castle Combe, Lydden have inappropriate paddocks (plus accesss for the last three, is an issue); access is probably an issue for Anglesey; Goodwood can only run historics; Knockhill is a long way north; Oulton can only run on four Sundays a year (so a British Superbike or the popular Gold Cup would need to be jetisoned); Silverstone GP is too long; Lake Torrent isn't complete; Kirkistown is too small, has poor access and can't be used on Sundays; and Bishopscourt again has iffy access and noise issues. As such, the alternatives to Thruxton are probably a third Brands meeting, another Silverstone National, Donington, Snetterton or Croft.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 18:09 (Ref:3829037)   #47
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
, British GT/F3 primarily exists for funded drivers to race either for fun or as a stepping stone. As such, they are better placed to race abroad as the main determining factor is competitor demand (and whether they want to pay for it). BTCC is in a different place, as although the bulk of drivers are paying to be part of it, the commercial factors are different
Exactly.

In BTCC, a driver or team may find sponsors that then fund the drives. But why would a sponsor want exposure in Belgium, France or Macau if the budget comes from the UK marketing team?

They don't.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3829038)   #48
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Has a reason been given for the Rockingham decision?
Old 13 Jun 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3829047)   #49
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with regard to paddock space you are looking at a massive amount of trucks and suchlike, each car in btcc generally has a artic, each team will have a hospitality truck and awning, mr gow has his bus and hospitality, rml have 2 trucks, swindon engines 1, dunlop 2 plus awnings and the fuel co has an artic. most drivers have either a RV or large motorhome.

support paddocks, teams are running multiple artics, porsche have their hospitality along with renault, ford and ginetta, tyre and fuel trucks plus the crew accommodation. the knockhill paddocks are full and they are big
Old 13 Jun 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3829049)   #50
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame to see Rockingham go as racing wise it was normally pretty good but it's been the one track I have never had any interest in going to based on hearing of others'experiences.

Nothing against Thruxton but as others have said, a workable alternative layout of another track (Donington GP or Snetterton 200 maybe) would have been my preference but failing another track coming in for 2020 it would be nice to see the spare slot rotated so that other tracks get the chance of hosting a second race weekend if they wish.