Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Aug 2010, 02:58 (Ref:2739156)   #501
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well there is some of that in there, but the porsches at spa were slower no only compared to the bmws, but abnormaly slower to the ferrari as well, so my guess would be porsche downtuned their engines for 24h races this year, it woud explain the diff at Le Mans as well
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 09:06 (Ref:2739258)   #502
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Arakis - I have thought about that too. If that is indeed the case, then it seems to me like a very risky move (on Porsche's part) as the only way that strategy guarantees a win, is by betting that your competition wont make it to the end (without major problems). If they do not have problems, then you you are simply not able to keep up and will find yourself many laps down.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 10:52 (Ref:2739304)   #503
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Im pretty sure the Michelin runners were on the spec GT2 tire that FIA GT used last year, and if you compare laptimes last year between the LMS and FIA GT on tracks both series visited, the FIA GT on Spec tires was a good 2seconds or more slower than the LMS on development tires on the same track, so if BMW were really using last years development tires then it is no wonder they were much quicker, and it really is a poor decision by the FIA to allow them to be used, if they are going to allow BMW to use development tires then they should allow everyone else to use them.
The point is that if Michelin chose to bring slower tyres to FIA that's their prerogative. If Dunlop decided to bring something a little better they haven't broken any rule.

This is the fundamental issue with the FIA GT tyre regs, they allow competition between tyre manufacturers but it's not totally free competition -you have to homologate a spec and it's fixed. Basically SRO want a one brand but hasn't forced it on people because Michelin want to win in a competitive environment. When it was Pirelli that was fine for them.

I think the point about Porsche turning the cars down relative to Ferrari is also relevant. Plus it's hard to compare lap times between different events. Temperatures and track condition are going to play a role in any time gap.

Ben

Last edited by ubrben; 4 Aug 2010 at 11:11.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 11:26 (Ref:2739324)   #504
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
This is the fundamental issue with the FIA GT tyre regs, they allow competition between tyre manufacturers but it's not totally free competition -you have to homologate a spec and it's fixed. Basically SRO want a one brand but hasn't forced it on people because Michelin want to win in a competitive environment. When it was Pirelli that was fine for them.
According to http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...race-notebook/ all GT2 cars are supposed to run on the Michelin control tyre. BMW, clever as always, elected to race in the GTN class, which allowed them to run on their favorite Dunlop tyre.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2739350)   #505
racerspics
Rookie

racerspics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard the top Porsches were running on factory tyres. There was no strategy about the laptimes. They where running at the limit. The BMWs where about 2 sec. fast in nearly every round. But the Porsche where more efficient and didn`t stop as often as the BMWs.

I have lots of pics in my galery. Hope you like it.

here are the links:

:: overview

:: GT1 qualification

:: GT1 race 1

:: GT1 race 2

:: 24h qualification

:: 24h start

:: 24h evening

:: 24h night and sunday morning

:: 24h impressions

Greetz Ralf
Old 4 Aug 2010, 12:54 (Ref:2739359)   #506
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerspics View Post
I heard the top Porsches were running on factory tyres. There was no strategy about the laptimes. They where running at the limit. The BMWs where about 2 sec. fast in nearly every round. But the Porsche where more efficient and didn`t stop as often as the BMWs.

I have lots of pics in my galery. Hope you like it.

here are the links:

:: overview

:: GT1 qualification

:: GT1 race 1

:: GT1 race 2

:: 24h qualification

:: 24h start

:: 24h evening

:: 24h night and sunday morning

:: 24h impressions

Greetz Ralf

Well...then they obviously have two limits, as they were doing 2:20 laps in the 1000Km race at Spa.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2739494)   #507
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
According to http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...race-notebook/ all GT2 cars are supposed to run on the Michelin control tyre. BMW, clever as always, elected to race in the GTN class, which allowed them to run on their favorite Dunlop tyre.
Not correct.

The Michelin isn't a "control" tyre as in a one brand. FIA GT works by allowing all tyre manufacturers to compete, but they are only allowed to submit two specifications "soft" and "hard" if you like (in FIA GT3 it's a single spec only). They can be changed at the start of each season, but once the season starts they can't be changed.

The problem this year is that FIA GT2 doesn't exist apart from Spa. Dunlop haven't done FIA GT recently and therefore had to submit tyres for the first time at this event. If FIA GT2 had run as a championship then these would have been submitted in Feb/March. The fact that Dunlop apparently chose tyres they developed only last year is entirely up to them and not in breach of any rule.

BMW were in GTN because Ratel doesn't want saloon cars in GT2 - it has nothing to do with the tyre choice as others on this thread have pointed out.

Ben
Old 4 Aug 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2739499)   #508
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
GTN because Ratel doesn't want saloon cars in GT2 - it has nothing to do with the tyre choice as others on this thread have pointed out.

Ben
Nope, BMWs are in the GTN category because they DO NOT confirm with the GT2 rules. either the aco or the FIA (witch are the same)
the difference being that the Aco alowes them to race without comfirming to the rules, the FIA does not!
-and I know it is writen in the rules that the ACO has the right to not folow specs, but that does not oblige the FIA to do the same. so the fact that they do not race in the GT2 Fia class is proof that they are not a GT2 car
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2740526)   #509
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Elected? Ratel doesn't want them!
Old 6 Aug 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2740597)   #510
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
exacly, they didn't elect to go into the gtn class, but they did benefit from it
Old 6 Aug 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2740669)   #511
insanity_mc
Rookie

Belgium
near Zolder
insanity_mc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Our pictures of the Spa 24H are online

http://www.motorsports-online.net/

Some teasers:

GT1:

Spa 24H:

Around the track:

Greetings,

Insanity
Old 7 Aug 2010, 09:26 (Ref:2740855)   #512
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The gridgirls seemed to have enjoyed each others company and provided a bit of a sideshow over the weekend.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 16:11 (Ref:2740988)   #513
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
The gridgirls seemed to have enjoyed each others company and provided a bit of a sideshow over the weekend.
I briefly watched the "carwash show" on Saturday before the race situated behind the open grandstands. All I can say is cheap and tacky.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 17:00 (Ref:2741003)   #514
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat View Post
All I can say is cheap and tacky.
the only way to go! I mean we are talking about beer guzzling, petrol breathing motorsport fans here!
Old 7 Aug 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2741006)   #515
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The girls seem to like each other quite a bit!

Nice pictures!
Old 7 Aug 2010, 23:01 (Ref:2741193)   #516
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat View Post
I briefly watched the "carwash show" on Saturday before the race situated behind the open grandstands. All I can say is cheap and tacky.
'He who is fussy, doesnt get any puss......'
Old 10 Aug 2010, 22:10 (Ref:2742755)   #517
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
I saw that and congrats, but somebody needs to tell Wills to step away from the dinner table I'm sure its worth a tenth or two.

BTW I would tell Mark Blundell the same thing...
My lap times were just fine thank you. Second quickest in the car in all conditions over the weekend in only my first modern race.

"formerly banned"..... Shame they let you back in.......
Old 10 Aug 2010, 22:14 (Ref:2742758)   #518
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
My lap times were just fine thank you. Second quickest in the car in all conditions over the weekend in only my first modern race.

"formerly banned"..... Shame they let you back in.......

L.P.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 06:35 (Ref:2742882)   #519
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Owned