Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Jul 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2735861)   #76
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is a thread for this S....... http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103894

L.P.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 15:56 (Ref:2735862)   #77
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
If I remember correctly, the engine has already been moved in the Porsche. Which caused problems with the transaxle that had to be worked through.

L.P.
The engine in the RSR is in EXACTLY the same place as it is in the GT3 RS road going car.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2735863)   #78
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
BMW m3 is not the most sophisticated road car, so why should it be the most sophisticated race car, in a class of road car racers
Why not? The road cars are just the base for the race car, that's all.

The rules obviously allow it, otherwise the car wouldn't be legal to race. And it is, and nothing you can tell me can make that go away...

BMW has build the most sophisticated GT2 racer so far (you admitted that yourself) and instead of getting to work and improve their own cars, all Ferrari and Porsche do is ***** and moan to have them penalised.

I thought you cheerish engineering above all else, if that would be the case you would admire BMW for building an excellent car. But I guess engineering is only cool if your favorite manufacturer ends up winning..

I would understand this discussion if BMW would beat Porsche and Ferrari week in, week out, if there was an obvious balance problem. But that is not the case! Even in the ALMS where the M3 is least restricted they haven't managed to win one single race this year!

So much ado about nothing...
Old 30 Jul 2010, 16:04 (Ref:2735864)   #79
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Why not? The road cars are just the base for the race car, that's all.

The rules obviously allow it, otherwise the car wouldn't be legal to race. And it is, and nothing you can tell me can make that go away...

BMW has build the most sophisticated GT2 racer so far (you admitted that yourself) and instead of getting to work and improve their own cars, all Ferrari and Porsche do is ***** and moan to have them penalised.

I thought you cheerish engineering above all else, if that would be the case you would admire BMW for building an excellent car. But I guess engineering is only cool if your favorite manufacturer ends up winning..

I would understand this discussion if BMW would beat Porsche and Ferrari week in, week out, if there was an obvious balance problem. But that is not the case! Even in the ALMS where the M3 is least restricted they haven't managed to win one single race this year!

So much ado about nothing...
ferrari and porsche are not alowed to do the same things BMW did with the M#, thats the whole point of this argument, you are only alowed to do things like the BMW did if you have a crapy car to start with! this argument is pointless C.YA
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 16:14 (Ref:2735872)   #80
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
They haven't won a single race this year so they´re obviously not more competitive than others.. I still fail to see the problem.
They have had a car on the podium at pretty much every event this year, and if i remember correctly they have had a 2-3 finish twice, all thanks to there fantastic 50:50 weight distribution gained by moving the engine back further than the regulations allow.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2736098)   #81
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
Interesting angle from DSC - simply believing what the FIA would like people to believe:

The Dunlop's are nothing like what's being run in ALMS and they'll quite happily sell you a set of what BMW are running. Indeed the Audi's ran the exact same rear tyre in the FIA GT3 balance of performance at Ricard in March. Hence the Dunlop's are just as "stock" as the Michelin's.

The idea that BMW are in GTN so Dunlop can run special tyres is simply and fundamentally incorrect.

Ben
Would the real reason be that the FIA GT2 series, like the ACO, doesn't offically recognize IMSA's ALMS GT2S rules for modified(read, non-ACO or FIA spec) cars(ie, the transaxle gearbox, wishbone IFS and IRS, etc.)? This question being rhetorical.

The deal with the tires is most likey hogwash.

Last edited by chernaudi; 30 Jul 2010 at 22:16.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2736109)   #82
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And now on topic, with the GT2 and GT3 cars being so equal, why not mirge the two classes(not just for IMSA but the LMS and FIA GT endurance races)? The cars perform about the same and cost about the same. Makes sense to me.

However, it also begs the question: How are FIA and ALMS/ACO GT2 cars different? Because the ACO GT2 cars have out-ran the FIA GT1 cars in LMS races.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 22:56 (Ref:2736121)   #83
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
On ultimate pace, the FIA GT1s are still quicker than GT2s, to the tune of 3 seconds in qualifying for the Spa 1000km. In racing conditions, which are less ideal, the gap will be reduced. Also, the Saleens running in LMS this year are NOT up to the pace of the GT1 regulars this year, as they were 3-4 seconds off the leading pace in class at Spa.

There is also the sprint nature of the new GT1s to consider, but then, some of those cars did last several hours at Le Mans this year, so they aren't nearly as close to grenading as some would like to think.

I think GT1 was pegged back in anticipation of the slower LMPs coming in for 2011. Now that this concern is no longer an issue, they could, theoretically, crank things up on their GTs (the FIA, I mean), which could make the new LMP2s, at least, look a bit slow. This could, though I'm not expecting it will, get very interesting.

As for GT3, there was mention in the announcement that they would be giving the FIA GT2s more power to give a more pronounced separation between classes.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 23:19 (Ref:2736126)   #84
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
giving gt2 more power, wou;d separate the classes, but it might unfairly benefit some teams, those porsche engines are preaty thin as it is, (i thing the old gt engine started its life as a 3l now its a 4), and adding more hp might make them seriusly unreliable.

It would be far more easier to reduce the power of the gt3, since they are all performance equalissed, they could easily lower the bar at the begging of the season.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 06:13 (Ref:2736209)   #85
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Arakis- Those Porsche engines, in turbo form, have produced over 600 hp so I think they can handle another 5% increase in air restrictor diameter quite comfortably.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 06:53 (Ref:2736214)   #86
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Arakis- Those Porsche engines, in turbo form, have produced over 600 hp so I think they can handle another 5% increase in air restrictor diameter quite comfortably.
I am not implying poor workmanshio or bad enginering, the Metzger engine wiill go down in history as one of the best engines ever made, but that engine never made 600hp with 4.l architecture, already at 480hp porsche is reaching reliability limits.
and since the stroke didn't change it means the bore did, and that means thiner walls, I am just saying its not exacly fair to porsche to push the power anvelope, because as the power of the cars increasses and the speed with it the 911 platform becomes less usefull. and it not fair since all other engines i the class are downtuned versions of the road cars, only Porsches engine is overtuned
Old 31 Jul 2010, 07:16 (Ref:2736217)   #87
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I understand. My point is that the 4L were required under the current engine regulations in order to remain competitive. If those regulations are changed, then 4L may not be required.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 08:41 (Ref:2736232)   #88
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DSC reports that the #92 G2 Ferrari is already a DNF following a heavy qualifying accident. Down to 40.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 13:47 (Ref:2736347)   #89
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TV coverage started- weather looks dry but overcast
Old 31 Jul 2010, 13:47 (Ref:2736348)   #90
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnny bloody Herbert commentating, where is RLM when you need them...
Old 31 Jul 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2736350)   #91
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
any direct stream links, I am at the university and their IE is out of wack
Old 31 Jul 2010, 13:50 (Ref:2736352)   #92
911targa
Veteran

Taiwan
911targa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if there's nothing wrong with my maths,the race is going to start in 10 minutes,but the bloomberg tv is still showing some GT3 videos while GT2 tv is still relaxing.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 13:52 (Ref:2736354)   #93
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
Im watching on Motors TV here in the UK.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 13:52 (Ref:2736355)   #94
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Does anybody have a live-timing link? Thanks..
Old 31 Jul 2010, 13:54 (Ref:2736356)   #95
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Timing should work here: http://static.sportresult.com/federa...ml?class=TOTAL

TV at http://gt2europe.com/liveGT2.php
Old 31 Jul 2010, 13:59 (Ref:2736361)   #96
911targa
Veteran

Taiwan
911targa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
many thanks,i can see the warming lap
Old 31 Jul 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2736367)   #97
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Is timing working for anyone? All I get is a black page..
Old 31 Jul 2010, 14:08 (Ref:2736369)   #98
JayBMS
Racer

Italy
JayBMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same here
Old 31 Jul 2010, 14:12 (Ref:2736372)   #99
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No need for live timing Bruni is running away with it and if they have a trouble free race they will win. This shows exactly what is wrong with GT3.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 14:13 (Ref:2736374)   #100
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
try at:
http://static.sportresult.com/federa...ml?class=TOTAL