Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 21 Mar 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2158089)   #1
Philbo
Rookie

Philbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going to Brands Hatch BTCC - Hints and Tips

Hi all,

I'm a newb here, so hello to you all!

I'm looking for a few tips on getting to and watching the BTCC at Brands.

I've had a look for a similar thread but can't find one - If I've missed it, please do point me in the right direction.

I'm taking the family to the BTCC race day on Sunday 30 March and would welcome any tips on the best place to park, time to get there to beat the rush, best approach route etc. I've seen some frightening traffic jams approaching the circuit in the past particularly if there is a big boot fair in the area at the same time! Approaching from Swanley/A20 and up Death Hill (sorry, Gorse Hill!!) often looks particularly busy.

Anyone recon grandstand seats are worth getting? It's been a while since I've been to the circuit. Can you still see well with a general admission ticket?

Also, is the race on the Indy circuit this year, not the GP circuit?

So many questions and I'm sure there are loads I haven't thought of yet. I'd welcome any general pointers from any seasoned BTCC fans.

Cheers!!
Philbo.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2158093)   #2
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I've not mentioned it in a while, but have a glance at the Circuit Guide.

And if anyone has anything to add to it to help Philbo, please register and do so!
Old 21 Mar 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2158127)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there's a sneaky back double if you're coming from the m25 - come off at dartford and head through the villages. that either backfires completely when you get to the texaco roundabout and discover the road is empty or saves you about 45 minutes waiting for the errr customers to get into the car boot sale.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2158302)   #4
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo
Hi all,

I'm a newb here, so hello to you all!

I'm looking for a few tips on getting to and watching the BTCC at Brands.

I've had a look for a similar thread but can't find one - If I've missed it, please do point me in the right direction.

I'm taking the family to the BTCC race day on Sunday 30 March and would welcome any tips on the best place to park, time to get there to beat the rush, best approach route etc. I've seen some frightening traffic jams approaching the circuit in the past particularly if there is a big boot fair in the area at the same time! Approaching from Swanley/A20 and up Death Hill (sorry, Gorse Hill!!) often looks particularly busy.

Anyone recon grandstand seats are worth getting? It's been a while since I've been to the circuit. Can you still see well with a general admission ticket?

Also, is the race on the Indy circuit this year, not the GP circuit?

So many questions and I'm sure there are loads I haven't thought of yet. I'd welcome any general pointers from any seasoned BTCC fans.

Cheers!!
Philbo.
Philbo,
First of all, it's on the Indy circuit.
Secondly, I would not bother with grandstand seats, take camping chairs. Most of the places where the action happens don't have grandstands. All the grandstands are open and I wouldn't bank on the weather being kind.
As the weather may not be dry/warm, you may want to enter through the main entrance and drive across to the southbank and park there. You can see Paddock hill bend from there, you're close to Druids and Mclarens, all the main points of action.
Remember to take plenty of warm/waterproof clothing and soup, and think of us marshals.
Have a good meeting.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2158434)   #5
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The boot sale does cause massive queues but only because everyone only uses the left hand lane of the slip road, just cruise alongside the queue, the right hand lane of the slip road is always empty, the exit from the roundabout is also two lanes.

Traffis on Death Hill is normally ok or at least keeps moving.

Stands at paddock are very exposed if the weathers not great although the view from is great. Stay towards the back and the left as you face the track for the best view.

The inside of Druids is one of the few places to take pictures as there isn't any debris fencing, or a position on the outside of the circuit half way up the hill allows you to see the entrance to Druids and all of Paddock and someof the bottom straight.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2158746)   #6
Philbo
Rookie

Thanks for all your replies. This is a great forum.

Sounds like it should be fairly straight forward getting in. I think that was my main concern.

I've booked seats in the Paddock Hill stand. What do you think is the best time to get there?

Cheers,
Phil
Old 22 Mar 2008, 16:28 (Ref:2159039)   #7
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Motorsport vision website will have a timetable the week before the meeting. As parking is outside of the circuit for the btcc, aim to get parked at least 45 mins before the first race.

Also are your seats numbered, if not make sure you bag your seats before buying bacon rolls etc as the stands are normally a sell out at the btcc meetings and fill up early. Best seats are those nearer to the corner and to towards the back.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2159073)   #8
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You might want to get there early. Avoid the queues, soak up the atmosphere, take a look around the lower paddock.
You might also want to get tickets to the lunchtime pit walkabout, as you'll be so close to the Entrance gate (top of Paddock Hill Bend).
Make sure you've got enough film and batteries for cameras, you're bound to see some action, especially with the Renault Clios.
Old 23 Mar 2008, 20:13 (Ref:2159807)   #9
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man
You might want to get there early. Avoid the queues, soak up the atmosphere, take a look around the lower paddock.
You might also want to get tickets to the lunchtime pit walkabout, as you'll be so close to the Entrance gate (top of Paddock Hill Bend).
Make sure you've got enough film and batteries for cameras, you're bound to see some action, especially with the Renault Clios.
Tickets for that is new to me? For BTCC, just be at the fence at lunch time.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2164643)   #10
Philbo
Rookie

Thanks again fo all your help.

Hope you all have a great day tomorrow.

Cheers,
Philbo
Old 29 Mar 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2164763)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let us know how you get on. I normally go to this race but I'm too busy at the moment - BTCC at Brands is always fun!!
Old 1 Apr 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2167118)   #12
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first visit to Brands, and as a circuit to spectate at I enjoyed it. The racing was quite good, and although I watched from Paddock/Druids on the Saturday and Surtees/Clark Curve on Sunday the amphitheatre setting was obvious. Having walked around the circuit, I presume that the whole track is only visible from the pit straight grandstands, although most places allowed a good portion of the track to be seen.

While the racing was good, a couple of the safety cars seemed very long when a car was off at Paddock. This is no criticism of the marshals, but there must be a quicker way to drag cars out of the gravel trap than using that JCB.

No need to get there early; the crowd can't have been more than 15,000 so queues weren't a problem. Having not been there before I can only assume this would be regarded as disappointing for the BTCC.

It was fortunate that the crowd wasn't too big given the problems in the car parks. Perhaps it's an indication of how impressed I've been since MSV took over the various circuits that I was disappointed that people were directed into car parks that were effectively bogs. At least they had people ready to help push out those who got stuck in the mud. You can't hold them responsible for the weather, but they need to at least make the entrances to the car parks hard standing.

Thanks for all the information above. I'd certainly like to return, but I'll probably until the summer when it's dry, and for a meeting on the GP track.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 17:10 (Ref:2167123)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i was waiting for the car park comments. i left early to avoid getting stuck! the car parks were exactly the same on saturday, and again, i was disappointed with the way they did absolutely nothing whatsoever to treat the ground. but it was good to see a landy going round with a towrope to help anyone in bother.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2167162)   #14
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We nearly sank on Saturday trying to leave - got there early and parked on a rare gravel bit on Sunday!
Old 1 Apr 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2167316)   #15
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies
No need to get there early; the crowd can't have been more than 15,000 so queues weren't a problem. Having not been there before I can only assume this would be regarded as disappointing for the BTCC.

It was fortunate that the crowd wasn't too big given the problems in the car parks. Perhaps it's an indication of how impressed I've been since MSV took over the various circuits that I was disappointed that people were directed into car parks that were effectively bogs.
The crowd was definitely smaller than expected, not surprising given the weather.

I'm not sure they had any option with were they directed you to park. All the fields were pretty much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
i was disappointed with the way they did absolutely nothing whatsoever to treat the ground.
What do you think they could have done? Given the amount of water and the size of the area to cover, throwing down a bit of straw wouldn't have made much of a difference.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 21:10 (Ref:2167357)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i don't know, i'm an office worker who doesn't even own a pair of wellies. is this where you'd like me to produce an encyclopaedic knowledge of traffic management?
Old 1 Apr 2008, 21:14 (Ref:2167361)   #17
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When I arrived at the campsite on Friday night I was told by the man on the gate that it was pretty much a bog already. Which was correct.

I headed out to have a look at Clearways first thing Saturday and it was already pretty bad and by the time went back on Sunday afternoon it was a mud bath. So much for Mr Palmer's new turf !!!
Old 1 Apr 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2167371)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
i don't know, i'm an office worker who doesn't even own a pair of wellies. is this where you'd like me to produce an encyclopaedic knowledge of traffic management?
Not at all, you said treating the ground not traffic management. If you are going to criticize someone for doing nothing then at the very least you can offer a suggestion on what they could have / should have done.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2167810)   #19
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
What do you think they could have done? Given the amount of water and the size of the area to cover, throwing down a bit of straw wouldn't have made much of a difference.
[random]At least years RHS Tatton Flower Show, most of the weekend was spent covering every roadway with wood chippings.[/random]
I wouldn't expect MSV to do exactly the same - there's cost considerations to think about - but there are options (if only treating the major routes into carparks) than doing "absolutely nothing" as has been suggested here.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2167833)   #20
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cars were (eventually - I do not know when) parked on the GP circuit and at the end of the meeting let out of the gate near to Westfield. At least some thinking was done "on the hoof" by those in charge.

Having been to Brands many times and in bad weather, I have never seen such muddy conditions. The combination of two major meetings in quick succession with significant amounts of precipitation before, during and in between the meetings meant big problems.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 13:35 (Ref:2167853)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
[random]At least years RHS Tatton Flower Show, most of the weekend was spent covering every roadway with wood chippings.[/random]
I wouldn't expect MSV to do exactly the same - there's cost considerations to think about - but there are options (if only treating the major routes into carparks) than doing "absolutely nothing" as has been suggested here.
quite. that's my point - they were aware that there was a problem at least with the media/hostility/team car parks behind the main straight on saturday, but they still put cars in there on sunday. i ended up parked in the campsite at the far end with my rear wheels on the gravelly road thing because that was the only place i knew i stood a fair chance of getting out.

i know absolutely nothing about managing car parks and surfaces, but what i do know is that there was nothing done to treat the ground in preparation for sunday which was completely barking mad and demonstrated a lack of planning. it would have been wise at least to close the worst affected car parks if not to prevent issues this weekend but to save the ground for future weekends.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2167922)   #22
timtime
Rookie

timtime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not looking to good for this weekend when the BSB circus hits Brands and uses the full GP circuit. I'm not sure what the gate normally is but its one of the bigger weekends of the year I think.

Tim
Old 2 Apr 2008, 20:57 (Ref:2168160)   #23
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure Mr Palmer can afford a few lorry loads of gravel to fix the car parks, at least just to protect some access lanes between the rows of parked vehicles.

My car is covered from sunroof to wheels in Brands Hatch mud, not what you expect when paying £28 to get in. You do not get stuck in the mud at Silverstone or Rockingham and it is inexcusable that you should have to suffer this sort of carry on at a premier sporting venue.

And I did notice the difference between a Scooby driver who arrogantly weaved through a field of stranded cars and the Skyline GTR driver who used his beast to tow a Clio out of trouble.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 23:10 (Ref:2168228)   #24
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think drivers should all have to do PCT's to retain licences so a bit of mud in a 2wd is not a major problem
http://www.sevenoaksmotorclub.com/ga...t_19nov06.html
Old 3 Apr 2008, 10:49 (Ref:2168542)   #25
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimcb
You do not get stuck in the mud at Silverstone or Rockingham and it is inexcusable that you should have to suffer this sort of carry on at a premier sporting venue.

Obviously you were not at Silverstone GP last year or about 6 years ago, or Donington Euro GP in the early '90s.