Old 26 Apr 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2870046)   #1
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
yellowspanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spectator Viewing at Thruxton

Hi All.

I'm attending my first BTCC at Thruxton as a spectator with my 10 year old son (have only marshalled there before) and have a few questions.

1. Recommended viewing spot - I'm thinking either the spectator bank for the club chicane or somewhere looking over the complex.

2. Is the banking on the outside of Noble/Goodwood open to spectators? If it is I'm leaning towards that as a good place as you can see the fastest part of the track and also get a good (binocular) view of most of the track.

Any comments greatly appreciated!!

Kelvin
Old 26 Apr 2011, 15:32 (Ref:2870068)   #2
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Action happens at both complexes, so the Club complex at the end of the lap, and the campbell/cobb/segrave complex half way through the lap.

Spectators can get to a point roughly midway between Segrave and Noble.

I'd spend some time at both complexes if I were you, although it will be busy!
Old 26 Apr 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2870168)   #3
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
yellowspanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Andrew.
Old 30 Apr 2011, 10:58 (Ref:2872014)   #4
Matt Hunter
Racer

England
Exmouth
Matt Hunter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been going to Thruxton since 1995 and it's true, most of the action tends to happen at one or the other of the chicanes. The only problem is with my luck it nearly always tends to be at the opposite one to where I'm at!!

My tip is to watch some of the action from both areas. If you go to the Campbell, Cobb, Seagrave end try to get quite high up the banking as from there you will see ALL of the track except the Club chicane and a small part of the pit straight. All of the back end of the circuit is visable (better with binoculars).
The banking on the exit of Club fills up very quickly and doesn't tend to drop off till the end of the day so if you want to be that end I'd try the very first part of the banking on the pit straight (literally just the grid side of the tunnel) and you should be able to get a great view of the cars exiting Club. The only problem with that view point is that is all you will see! Good for head on photos though.
Old 2 May 2011, 06:59 (Ref:2872741)   #5
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First time at Thruxton yesterday, loved the racing and the views. However the facilities are not even third rate.

Thruxton is a scruffy, tatty and badly maintained joke. The toilets are disgusting, the grandstand cramped and tiny.

The car parking exiting strategy is non existent and the car park marshals ill trained and seemed unable to cope.

It took an hour to get on to the A303, I've left Grand Prix quicker!

The track and viewing are superb, although in need of maintenance and tidying.

I have to say I won't be returning to Thruxton in a hurry.
Old 2 May 2011, 07:46 (Ref:2872753)   #6
Matt Hunter
Racer

England
Exmouth
@mickey29 I agree Thruxton could use a spruce up. As I posted before I've been going there since '95 and it has changed little in terms of spectator access and facilities.
It's an 'old style' circuit and of course a working airfield so I guess that limits some works they can do, but when you see the fantastic karting track theyve built and various other works in progress you do have to wonder why they can't build another grandstand at the other complex.
Maybe I've been spoiled by Silverstone, been going there since 2004 for various races and the value for money, IMO is far better than Thruxton. Access cannot be helped, the tracks location limits what can be done obviously. But the car park issue isn't great. The last time I went to the BTCC there I waited until way after the last BTCC race of the day, watched the classics going round after many spectators had cleared the banking and even after all that it still took me nearly two hours to get to the A303. Most of which was just exiting the car park! It isn't great but when huge meetings like that go to circuits such as Thruxton that will happen. Not everywhere can change the infrastructure to suit the needs of the tracks which most people nearby probably wish weren't there anyway! Sad fact.
Old 2 May 2011, 10:40 (Ref:2872826)   #7
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First time at Thruxton for me to on Saturday, viewing is much better than I was expecting and both the chicane and the complex provide great opportunities for photo's. I enjoyed every minute of it but have to agree some improvements could be made.
Old 2 May 2011, 10:46 (Ref:2872833)   #8
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey29 View Post
First time at Thruxton yesterday, loved the racing and the views. However the facilities are not even third rate.

Thruxton is a scruffy, tatty and badly maintained joke. The toilets are disgusting, the grandstand cramped and tiny.

The car parking exiting strategy is non existent and the car park marshals ill trained and seemed unable to cope.

It took an hour to get on to the A303, I've left Grand Prix quicker!

The track and viewing are superb, although in need of maintenance and tidying.

I have to say I won't be returning to Thruxton in a hurry.
That, I am afraid, is true motor racing!

For me, any circuit with decent facilities is instantly made worse. It means that the circuit organisers have been spending more time on making us comfortable than they have keeping the cars fast.

You can cross your legs can't you?
Old 2 May 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2872866)   #9
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
. It means that the circuit organisers have been spending more time on making us comfortable than they have keeping the cars fast.
Or both?? MSV come to mind?? Just my opinion but I have to disagree with you there!
Old 2 May 2011, 14:56 (Ref:2872940)   #10
stirling lost
Rookie

United Kingdom
stirling lost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands hatch View Post
Or both?? MSV come to mind?? Just my opinion but I have to disagree with you there!
Have to agree with brands hatch on this one, particularly with regard to Brands Hatch and the new Snetts. So long as MSV leave the spectating areas as they are (no more catch fencing etc) I think they've got the balance right.

Didn't know Thruxton was good for photos, being a keen amateur photographer I think i'll give it go.

cheers

delS1
Old 2 May 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2872941)   #11
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
That, I am afraid, is true motor racing!

For me, any circuit with decent facilities is instantly made worse. It means that the circuit organisers have been spending more time on making us comfortable than they have keeping the cars fast.

You can cross your legs can't you?
If you wish to spend upto £27 plus £10 paddock plus £15 gandstand (obviously the last two are optional and pre booking is cheaper) and have to use facilities that are primitive whilst under the tragic delusion that it makes the racing better please be my guest!

Yes, I can cross my legs. However that is a difficult thing to ask a six and four year old to do.

Remember that family days out create the next generation of spectators, I would gladly pay more and get more.

I don't expect to pay more and get nothing but racing. All I want is a good day out for my family.

When I go to meetings by myself I will sit and enjoy the sport, however BTCC is supposed to be an entertaining day for all the family.

Silverstone, Brands, Rockingham, Snetterton all manage to produce racing I enjoy and facilities that I would not feel the need to steam clean, redecorate or just bulldoze.

True motor racing is a product of the drivers, teams, cars, marshals, track and happy spectators. Not shoddy customer care.
Old 2 May 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2872982)   #12
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling lost View Post
Didn't know Thruxton was good for photos, being a keen amateur photographer I think i'll give it go.
Depends when you go. The chicane or the complex is fine at a club meeting when the crowd consists of 2 men and dog but hopeless at something like BTCC when it's 15 deep with spectators.
Old 2 May 2011, 20:33 (Ref:2873157)   #13
Matt Hunter
Racer

England
Exmouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Depends when you go. The chicane or the complex is fine at a club meeting when the crowd consists of 2 men and dog
aahhh you've been there for the British GT meeting too!
Old 3 May 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2873609)   #14
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey29 View Post
If you wish to spend upto £27 plus £10 paddock plus £15 gandstand (obviously the last two are optional and pre booking is cheaper) and have to use facilities that are primitive whilst under the tragic delusion that it makes the racing better please be my guest!

Yes, I can cross my legs. However that is a difficult thing to ask a six and four year old to do.

Remember that family days out create the next generation of spectators, I would gladly pay more and get more.

I don't expect to pay more and get nothing but racing. All I want is a good day out for my family.

When I go to meetings by myself I will sit and enjoy the sport, however BTCC is supposed to be an entertaining day for all the family.

Silverstone, Brands, Rockingham, Snetterton all manage to produce racing I enjoy and facilities that I would not feel the need to steam clean, redecorate or just bulldoze.

True motor racing is a product of the drivers, teams, cars, marshals, track and happy spectators. Not shoddy customer care.
Don't think the tongue-in-cheekiness came accross there, I wasn't having a go at you at all!

Agree with all of that.
Old 3 May 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2873682)   #15
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
Many thanks. Love the signature btw
Old 3 May 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2873688)   #16
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not necessarily defending Thruxton in any way for its lack of facilities, but I would be pleased to be corrected on the following if I am wrong.
I believe that planning permission for permanent building is out of the question as the airfield could be brought into military use at a moments notice in the case of an attack.
Possibly the same at Pembrey?