Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Dec 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3869959)   #2101
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of chat about Rob, and its sad that hes left WSR, and I assume the series now. I would actually have liked to see Ricky continue in 2019 as he was just getting to terms with the car towards the last couple of races but unless someone knows otherwise he wont be back in BTCC in the foreseeable future
Old 13 Dec 2018, 16:30 (Ref:3869961)   #2102
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Which is the standard by which anyone should be judged!

Seriously though, he takes things on track seriously, which is perhaps why some people consider him to be arrogant, but always found him very approachable.

Can't say I'm hugely surprised at him leaving the team. There were strong rumours last year that he would step down and spend more time supporting his sons.
Ricky driving an Aston in Dubai, suggesting the BMW link is over for them.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3869968)   #2103
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Ricky driving an Aston in Dubai, suggesting the BMW link is over for them.

I wonder if this will open up a door for a bit of a Collard family GT assault (Rob, Ricky and Jordan), similar but less publicised to the Andretti and Mansell families have done in the past at Le Mans
Old 13 Dec 2018, 16:44 (Ref:3869970)   #2104
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM388 View Post
Collard now confirmed to have left WSR - looking at options elsewhere in the BTCC and British GT.
Where is this confirmed?
Old 13 Dec 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3869972)   #2105
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Where is this confirmed?
Autosprout.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:05 (Ref:3869974)   #2106
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Where is this confirmed?
Motorsport News published it yesterday and it was repeated on the Autosport website today.

He says he is exploring other BTCC seats as well as GT.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:12 (Ref:3869975)   #2107
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Folks, after reviewing some posts I’ve decided to remove some of them. Yes including my own! Just for anyone wondering where there posts are. Let’s get back on topic
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3869981)   #2108
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who thinks the following will be on the grid next season?

Michael Caine
Sam Smelt
Rory Butcher
Ethan Hammerton
Brett Smith
Ollie Pidgley
Josh Caygill
Tom Boardman
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3869984)   #2109
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post

Michael Caine
Sam Smelt
Rory Butcher
Ethan Hammerton
Brett Smith
Ollie Pidgley
Josh Caygill
Tom Boardman

Of that lot, I am predicting Butcher will either be back at Motorbase or in an MG, cant say I can see any of the others on the BTCC grid but I can see some in other categories such as Porsches, Clios or Ginettas.

Cainey is getting on a bit, and I think there was a suggestion at Brands GP that he was retiring, Smelt is still young but didnt really look comfortable in BTCC last season. most of the others didnt do anything like getting on for a full season so didnt really get chance to prove anything, unless they come with a large wallet im not sure they did enough to warrant another go. (Boardman did ok but got a lucky result in the rain in round 1 but was then pretty anonymous)

Brett Smith is the anomaly for me, he did ok but I expected a bit more considering the car and his level of experience (you dont win MIni Challenge by being average). Now Jeff doesnt have a team though, im not sure any other team would be pushing others out of the way to have Brett, maybe back to mini's? but the Smiths sold their cars there I believe.. Unless having pulled the plug on Eurotech, Jeff's companies (ICD?) are willing to sponsor Brett just enough to help get him a drive?

Last edited by btccbloke; 13 Dec 2018 at 17:49.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3869985)   #2110
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Michael Caine
Sam Smelt
Rory Butcher
Ethan Hammerton
Brett Smith
Ollie Pidgley
Josh Caygill
Tom Boardman
James Cole
Sam Tordoff
Jason Plato
Matt Jackson
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:44 (Ref:3869986)   #2111
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forgot Ollie Jackson now he has waved goodbye to AMD.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3869987)   #2112
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Plato User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
problem is with most of those names is why would anyone sponsor any of them cause unless the poor standard of crashing contiues they ain't getting tv time,

look how little coverage jason got back there and hes a multiple champion if your not in the top ten you've had it
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3869988)   #2113
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Of that lot, I am predicting Butcher will either be back at Motorbase or in an MG, cant say I can see any of the others on the BTCC grid but I can see some in other categories such as Porsches, Clios or Ginettas.

Cainey is getting on a bit, and I think there was a suggestion at Brands GP that he was retiring, Smelt is still young but didnt really look comfortable in BTCC last season. most of the others didnt do anything like getting on for a full season so didnt really get chance to prove anything, unless they come with a large wallet im not sure they did enough to warrant another go. (Boardman did ok but got a lucky result in the rain in round 1 but was then pretty anonymous)

Brett Smith is the anomaly for me, he did ok but I expected a bit more considering the car and his level of experience (you dont win MIni Challenge by being average). Now Jeff doesnt have a team though, im not sure any other team would be pushing others out of the way to have Brett, maybe back to mini's? but the Smiths sold their cars there I believe.. Unless having pulled the plug on Eurotech, Jeff's companies (ICD?) are willing to sponsor Brett just enough to help get him a drive?
I would pretty much agree with this.

Think Butcher & Ollie Jackson will turn up but not sure the others will be too highly sought after. IMHO Brett would be the only one I'd be disappointed to see go which is a shame given how quick he was on Saturdays this year.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3869989)   #2114
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
problem is with most of those names is why would anyone sponsor any of them cause unless the poor standard of crashing contiues they ain't getting tv time,

look how little coverage jason got back there and hes a multiple champion if your not in the top ten you've had it
That is the same for any motorsport, look how often Sirotkin/Stroll/Vandoorne/Hartley/Gasly got mentioned in F1 this year unless they were being lapped/crashing/retiring.

These drivers must have of had a budget to make it on to the BTCC grid originally so if the sponsors stick with them for 2019 then it is possible any of them could get a seat.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3869990)   #2115
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Michael Caine - racing elsewhere for HARD

Sam Smelt - if his family pay Shauns asking price then possibly but I do not know one way or the other

Rory Butcher - yes, signed a deal with announcement to come

Ethan Hammerton - not a chance

Brett Smith - doubt it very much

Ollie Pidgley - doubt it

Josh Caygill - doubt it

Tom Boardman - no way Jose
Old 13 Dec 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3869991)   #2116
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I forgot Ollie Jackson now he has waved goodbye to AMD.
Yes, I reckon he's at Motorbase with Sonic and Cole.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 18:01 (Ref:3869992)   #2117
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Smelt is supposedly in a GT4 BMW in British GT.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 18:04 (Ref:3869993)   #2118
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
James Cole
Sam Tordoff
Jason Plato
Matt Jackson
Cole - Motorbase, would be genuinely surprised if he isn't put it that way.

Tordoff - I reckon he'll be back, just a question of where.

Plato - I seriously cannot see Jason giving up on 100 wins while there is breath in his lungs. PMR or a yet to be announced newcomer. Or the dreaded Scoobyru.

Matt Jackson - no, he's done. He did a stupid and that makes any contract he signs worthless. Why would you, as a team owner, expose yourself to that **** leaving you high and dry? [Edit] although he is one of few drivers fat enough to get AmDs full name on his top.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3869995)   #2119
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
James Cole
Sam Tordoff
Jason Plato
Matt Jackson

James Cole has budget - but I think his BTCC career will be going on hold as there arent really any openings I can see him getting.

Sam Tordoff - I strongly feel will be at AMD but we are waiting on announcements from both

Jason Plato - who knows, Kia team turn up on first day of qualifying for all I know, but im starting to suspect Cicerley with the old Moffat car

Mat Jackson - I have seen an interview where he has suggested hes looking to come back in 2019, he ruled out any other series but is only motivated to if its a team he feels can win the title (obviously they all say this) so unless theres movement at Dynamics or WSR I am not sure we will see him.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 18:14 (Ref:3869996)   #2120
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
James Cole has budget - but I think his BTCC career will be going on hold as there arent really any openings I can see him getting.

Sam Tordoff - I strongly feel will be at AMD but we are waiting on announcements from both

Jason Plato - who knows, Kia team turn up on first day of qualifying for all I know, but im starting to suspect Cicerley with the old Moffat car

Mat Jackson - I have seen an interview where he has suggested hes looking to come back in 2019, he ruled out any other series but is only motivated to if its a team he feels can win the title (obviously they all say this) so unless theres movement at Dynamics or WSR I am not sure we will see him.
What about Nic Hamilton or was that just chatter?
Old 13 Dec 2018, 18:19 (Ref:3869997)   #2121
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Matt Jackson - no, he's done. He did a stupid and that makes any contract he signs worthless. Why would you, as a team owner, expose yourself to that **** leaving you high and dry? [Edit] although he is one of few drivers fat enough to get AmDs full name on his top.
But we will probably see Jake Hill who did a similar and seems to be hero worshiped for it
Old 13 Dec 2018, 18:19 (Ref:3869998)   #2122
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
What about Nic Hamilton or was that just chatter?
There have been talks, not sure who exactly with. If he lands in BTCC I would guesstimate one of the Audis alongside Jake Hill.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3869999)   #2123
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
But we will probably see Jake Hill who did a similar and seems to be hero worshiped for it
Similar but also different. Fatboy said yes to Dave, signed and then tried to wriggle out before a wheel was turned.

Hill meanwhile felt HARD where not providing the appropriate level of equipment or support as the season progressed and thought sod this.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3870000)   #2124
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Plato User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
That is the same for any motorsport, look how often Sirotkin/Stroll/Vandoorne/Hartley/Gasly got mentioned in F1 this year unless they were being lapped/crashing/retiring.

These drivers must have of had a budget to make it on to the BTCC grid originally so if the sponsors stick with them for 2019 then it is possible any of them could get a seat.
Most of these also-rans are the reason the standard of driving has drastically gone down in the past few years, at least when there was the production class the worst damage they would do was get lapped or take each other out,
Old 13 Dec 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3870002)   #2125
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
I think the Moffats will be using it still. They are currently giving it a refurb up in Scotland.