Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Apr 2017, 11:42 (Ref:3723000)   #26
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aha, a preemptive april fools...

Clever.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 18:15 (Ref:3723555)   #27
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Pascal out for China and maybe Bahrain, I doubt he will be back, Ferrari will step in and keep Gio in the seat.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 18:33 (Ref:3723562)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Pascal out for China and maybe Bahrain, I doubt he will be back, Ferrari will step in and keep Gio in the seat.
Story Here

Why does there not seem to be a ball-tearing rush by the pilot to get back into this car?

Is he taking one for the team, helping Sauber get an engine discount at Ferrari for running the Ferrari reserve driver..? Is the Sauber really that craap?

Is he, as Mr Webber & 1980 WDC Mr Jones suggested, 'soft'?

And will the team principal at Sauber come out again and tell everyone to stop picking on her driver??

Very very strange..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Apr 2017, 18:44 (Ref:3723564)   #29
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari ponying up some dough (or reducing the engine price at least), in order to try stop Sauber going with Honda engines next year?
Old 3 Apr 2017, 19:03 (Ref:3723569)   #30
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its puzzling. I see three broad options...

1. Everything is as advertised. He feels that he can't be 100% in the car. Kudo's for doing the right thing and stepping back.

2. While everyone is supportive of Wehrlein, F1 is where everyone says the opposite. So there is some issue with Wehrlein. Be it physical, mental or otherwise.

3. His seat is being rented out and that is being made "ok" behind the scenes by the various people who are funding the seat (I assume Mercedes has funded his ride, so why would Mercedes be OK with this if it is not #1 or #2?)

I want to believe it is #1. But even then that seems odd that he will miss a second and maybe a third race unless the physical/mental issues are deeper than are being discussed publicly which leads to #2.

Richard
Old 3 Apr 2017, 23:00 (Ref:3723595)   #31
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Or...

4. The injury is more serious than they realised, and so he's not fit to drive a race distance yet.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 23:53 (Ref:3723604)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Or...

4. The injury is more serious than they realised, and so he's not fit to drive a race distance yet.
Yet that isn't the way it is being shared. The continued theatrics are almost like a paydriver telling everyone they are going to run in an event, their cheque doesn't clear, so they don't. Then tell everyone they will be at the next event.

You can't help but wonder if Mercedes really & truly dodged a bullet by choosing Mr Bottas instead for their works squad..
Old 4 Apr 2017, 06:18 (Ref:3723648)   #33
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was 100% on board with Wehrlein in Australia. I watched some of his interviews and I believed him on his word. I may be a little bit fragile myself, but to me his reasoning sounded valid. He said he felt he was back to being healthy, but that the break in training that he had to have while recoperating meant he wasn't at peak fitness, which could compromise him quite significantly at a "street circuit".

I fell for it.

The story we are getting now is quite different, or so it would seem. Now he's back to being injured and has a lengthy stand down period before he is likely to come back. Why would they already be saying two more races?

The injury is either far more significant than originally thought, or there is genuine interest in keeping Giovinazzi in the seat. I'm now leaning more towards the latter, and I'm not entirely disappointed. I think a lot of people are excited to see what he can do this weekend. Another good showing and it could be a Ferrari (or at very least a Haas) seat next year. I wouldn't go past Ferrari taking Grosjean next year if Kimi's form doesn't return.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 07:35 (Ref:3723661)   #34
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Below is my post from 29th March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Some stories are still mentioning Ferrari making a deal with Kaltenborn to get Giovanni in the seat for the race as the real reason. A bunch of $$'s worth apparently. And it worked. Ferrari's investment paid off handsomely.
And I think the stories I heard are probably true. And AG's stock has risen sharply since he's drive at the AUS GP.

Hears another little story I heard from Melbourne's pitlane. Ferrari F1 Team is aiming to be an all Italian team. All Italian. Every employee. From the cleaner to the CEO. Including the drivers. "100% Made in Italy" is what Arrivabene wants to promote to the world. So having AG in the Sauber seat for a few more races will hopefully give the Italian driver the experience required for the Ferrari seat in 2018.

If this is so, what of SV in the next couple of years? They cannot be an all Italian team with a German driver surely?? Goodbye SV in 2019? And all the other non-Italian employees currently at working at Ferrari?
Old 4 Apr 2017, 08:10 (Ref:3723667)   #35
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All Italian. Apart from the ECU, that's British. And the fuel, that's dutch.

Basically it's all Italian apart from the bits that aren't Italian.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3723681)   #36
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
All Italian. Apart from the ECU, that's British. And the fuel, that's dutch.

Basically it's all Italian apart from the bits that aren't Italian.

Like the UK born James Allison who was ousted and replaced by Italian Mattia Binotto. Except Binotto was born in Switzerland.

Got to hand it Binotto, his been with Ferrari since 1995. That's a long term commitment.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 09:46 (Ref:3723684)   #37
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post

Like the UK born James Allison who was ousted and replaced by Italian Mattia Binotto. Except Binotto was born in Switzerland.

Got to hand it Binotto, his been with Ferrari since 1995. That's a long term commitment.
Except that Allison wasn't ousted. After the loss of his wife, he probably wisely, felt that it would be better for their children that they were back with the family in the UK.

I think that Ferrari acted quite honourably with Allison, allowing him as much compassionate leave as he required.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 09:47 (Ref:3723687)   #38
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Driver nationality should be considered a bonus. If they can get an Italian who can win the world championship, then brilliant. But there's no point in getting an Italian who is average, and then giving away your potential world champion to other teams. Not only do you hurt your chance, but you increase your opponents chances. The only Italian to ever win the world title with Ferrari was Ascari. And they'd have never have had the 2000- 2004 Championships if they had given Schumacher away to McLaren and hired Trulli and Fisichella.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 12:02 (Ref:3723706)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I have mixed views on Pascal's decision. On the one hand he's very brave and honest to admit he's not ready, but plenty of drivers would go for it and push it over the line if they had to, racing through the discomfort
Old 4 Apr 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3723712)   #40
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you see where playing through discomfort has put Tiger Woods... His example might make other athletes with back issues think twice.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 12:34 (Ref:3723713)   #41
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I have mixed views on Pascal's decision. On the one hand he's very brave and honest to admit he's not ready, but plenty of drivers would go for it and push it over the line if they had to, racing through the discomfort
Just a thought to put out there....but. FI didn't chose him because of his off track attitude, the feeling perhaps that he wasn't easy to work with, so there is something around Pascal that doesn't gel and Mercedes didn't stick him in the car either.

I appreciate that driver safety, etc is paramount but I do find it strange that having been signed off by medics to test and race that Pascal has sat back and let another driver sit in his car and even more so having seen how quick he is, let him keep it 'warm' for another two races!

Surely that goes against every competitive drivers instinct?

Something doesn't ring true to me.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 13:40 (Ref:3723718)   #42
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm surprised there are still people that think drivers or any team member for that matter would still speak the truth instead of saying whatever the team principals and sponsors want them to say.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 13:48 (Ref:3723720)   #43
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have to agree with Moneyseeker.

I feel he is simply not keen enough if it is just his decision. A driver coach I know really rated Giovinacci and his performance came as no surprise.

Back to the drawing board for PW I reccon
Old 4 Apr 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3723726)   #44
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah it is strange that he was cleared by the FIA doctors to race but ultimately chose not to.

but i find that part of me wants to believe his reasoning of lacking the proper fitness though.

not so much because i want to believe him, rather i like the notion that this years cars are more demanding to drive.

so after a back injury (one that perhaps was more serious) and missing out on training is it really surprising that a 130lbs? 22 year old lacks the required fitness level?

of course, the same issues surrounding the demands of this years cars plus drivers weight and age should also be used to highlight just how impressive AG's last minute substitution was...at this point i actually want to see more of AG in the car then i do PW.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 15:23 (Ref:3723744)   #45
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Note that Wehrlein participated in pre season testing and Friday practice for the Australian GP. I tend to not think that the Giovinazzi substitution was planned going into the GP weekend. Otherwise why let Wehrlein in the car on Friday vs. putting Giovinazzi in right away to give him more time in the car. I wonder if there was a question about his health after the ROC crash beyond the back injury and that this was evaluated during the pre season testing and then most definately during Friday practice?

When I think of driver fitness, I tend to think of being able to sustain G loads on the neck over the course of a race weekend. I know it is much more than that, but I think of musculoskeletal conditioning first. But "fitness" is a very generic term and could cover many things. Recovery from a back injury may be 100% accurate, or it also a very easy to use as cover for something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
yeah it is strange that he was cleared by the FIA doctors to race but ultimately chose not to.
I don't know the details of this, but does anyone know what the protocol is used by the FIA/F1 regarding saying a driver is "fit"? What do they examine and test? Specifically does F1 have a concussion protocol? I looked online and I can't seem to find a definitive answer. This is an interesting document (from 2015)...

http://www.fiainstitute.com/document...Medical-5a.pdf

It's clearly a topic of discussion within FIA and elsewhere. And has had more focus in other motorsports (such as NASCAR) which I think has an explicit protocol. I have to wonder if he was technically cleared, but by a protocol that may not cover all things that might actually cause problems during a event.

If you watch the ROC crash with Wehrlein (plenty of videos on YouTube), to me.. he takes a good hit right on the helmet as the car rolls into the barricades. While his back may have been injured, I wonder if what is really going on is some long term concussion issues? And if the FIA does not have an explicit concussion protocol, he might be technically cleared, but still experiencing problems while in the car. That Sauber may be evaluating his progress race by race and fully understanding that based upon other concussion protocols used elsewhere, that he may not be able to return anytime soon. Hence the potential for missing at minimum one and maybe two more races.

Richard
Old 4 Apr 2017, 17:12 (Ref:3723762)   #46
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Specifically does F1 have a concussion protocol? I looked online and I can't seem to find a definitive answer. This is an interesting document (from 2015)...
im thinking back a couple of years ago to an accident Sainz had (2015?) where he complained of concussion like symptoms and was still cleared to race.

i recall thinking at the time (based on what i was seeing in the NFL) that the NFL makes players wait a few days before running their concussion tests because it takes a few days for the symptoms to fully manifest.

so i found it strange at the time, that in F1 they could look at a driver the night of his accident (or next morning) and then clear them to race right away.

not a medical expert and long story short i dont think they have a proper concussion protocol or at the least its a protocol which evolves with every examination and given they dont have many situations with which to work with its a slow process.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 18:06 (Ref:3723779)   #47
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
i should add that in the NFL, returning to the game is still possible if no concussion related symptoms are monitored or observed but if there are observable symptoms follow up tests are required to return to practice and next game...anyways they have a very clear and publicly known protocol.

which most if not all sports do now....so yeah also weird that you were not able to find a clearer answer.
Old 5 Apr 2017, 00:15 (Ref:3723833)   #48
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Perhaps he's having similar issues to those that Dale Earnhardt Jr had last year? Head injuries are still not fully understood. There was an NFL player (I think this is right) who killed himself last year after head trauma resulted in serious illness.
Old 5 Apr 2017, 01:52 (Ref:3723846)   #49
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Perhaps he's having similar issues to those that Dale Earnhardt Jr had last year? Head injuries are still not fully understood. There was an NFL player (I think this is right) who killed himself last year after head trauma resulted in serious illness.
So... why the ducks & drakes about what's really going on?

All that is seems to be happening is Mr Wehrlein is strengthening a reputation for perhaps being 'damaged goods'
Old 5 Apr 2017, 01:52 (Ref:3723847)   #50
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dario Franchitti chose to retire rather than risk another concussion on the basis of medical advice. I recall Stirling Moss commenting that Sid Watkins told him years afterwards that he wouldn't even have looked at him for a racing clearance for 2 years after his Goodwood accident.

I suppose most of us have joked about racing being more important than life or death, but perhaps losing Jules BIanchi and in particular Maria De Villota ought to make F1 more cautious about the longer term effects of some injuries.