Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Apr 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2858809)   #1
Wriggley Monkey
Rookie

Wriggley Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
End of the historic GP circuit at Silverstone ?

Does this mean that the Historic GP is no more - will the classic therefore run on the new GP circuit ?

Silverstone creates 'F1's Henman Hill'

By Simon Strang and Matt Beer Monday, April 4th 2011, 14:53 GMT

Silverstone managing director Richard Phillips says the area around the old Bridge and Priory corners will become a motor racing equivalent of Wimbledon's 'Henman Hill' when the track's redevelopment is complete.

With this section now bypassed by the grand prix circuit's new loop, the gravel traps have been removed and the area turned into a section for fans.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 08:39 (Ref:2858991)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Big loss, but has been on the cards for quite a while.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 08:53 (Ref:2859001)   #3
dank
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
dank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't they dig up Bridge and Priory at the end of January?
Old 5 Apr 2011, 09:38 (Ref:2859023)   #4
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track at Bridge was still there at the weekend, but covered in old tyre walls and debris. It looked that they were either replacing the run-off (Abbey Chicane was always a bit exciting, twitching it away from the wall at the last minute) or bulldozing it - from the article above, it sounds like its the latter...
Old 5 Apr 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2859024)   #5
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Silverstone have made a big mistake by losing that version of the track. The full GP track is really too long for most meetings and to use it you have to get really big grids as well. Spectators also see the cars fewer times as well. On the other hand the "National" circuit is really too short for anything other than clubbie meetings.
Bridge was perhaps my favourite corner as well.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 09:59 (Ref:2859040)   #6
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
...On the other hand the "National" circuit is really too short for anything other than clubbie meetings.
Brands Indy seems to do ok for meetings such as BTCC, F3 and GTs and that's quite a bit shorter than Silverstone National.

This "Hen Man's Hill" proposal, I assume they will be create 2 seperate areas, the first at the entry to the old Bridge complex overlooking the pit lane and pit exit and a second area opposite the BRDC stand overlooking the end of the national straight (Wellington is it now?) and the entry to the arena section.

I'll miss the exit to Bridge, there's not many spectator spots that got you closer to the cars.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 10:47 (Ref:2859063)   #7
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The is the International Circuit though! It used to be known as the Southern Circuit but now has the new pits.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 12:45 (Ref:2859137)   #8
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Derwent - the National circuit is one of the most boring we ever visit (whereas Brands Indy is great fun) and the new GP will be too long and too expensive to hire for club racing. The historic GP fitted the bill perfectly and suited all sizes of cars with fast bits for the V8s and twisty bits for the little cars - great fun.

The HSCC are using the new GP for the International meeting in May, but there are several racers who I know are unhappy about the costs - I expect that the meeting will be a success this time and afterwards we can make a more informed view as to whether it was worth it.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 12:57 (Ref:2859141)   #9
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And here it is.....

Old 5 Apr 2011, 13:04 (Ref:2859144)   #10
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "new" Southern circuit should be good - but is there any open paddock to it? If not, I guess we'd have to paddock on the Stowe circuit, which would be more cost...
Old 5 Apr 2011, 13:52 (Ref:2859160)   #11
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My understanding is that the "New" International (old Southern) circuit is going to be used once this season (for a smallish meeting in October) and that the paddock facilities for it are part of next winter's next phase of works.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2859174)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I like the look of the Southeren circuit.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2859189)   #13
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From walking it when marshalling at Chapel for the FIA GTs last year, it looks like there's a bit of an elevation change from The Loop down on to Hangar which could make life a bit interesting.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2859281)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Unlike many I liked the Historic GP circuit, in fact it was one of my favourites. But the old International was possibly better because you got all the fun of Bridge, Priory, Brooklands and of course Copse but didn't need to spend an extra minute getting back to Bridge!

Haven't had an opportunity to try the Arena circuit yet but hoping to be at MG Live in June then hopefuly in July too.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2859290)   #15
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
My understanding is that the "New" International (old Southern) circuit is going to be used once this season (for a smallish meeting in October) and that the paddock facilities for it are part of next winter's next phase of works.
I think Tour Britannia will also use the former South circuit.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 07:43 (Ref:2860025)   #16
FA73
Racer

FA73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
From walking it when marshalling at Chapel for the FIA GTs last year, it looks like there's a bit of an elevation change from The Loop down on to Hangar which could make life a bit interesting.

I found it to be good fun when driving it in a Lotus Exige !!
Old 7 Apr 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2860173)   #17
DanWray
Rookie

England
DanWray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't think it's all that much of a loss. There was never much 'historic' about the Historic GP layout anyway.

Copse, Becketts, Stowe, Club and Bridge were all radically altered or at least re-profiled in '91 with Abbey changing in '94. Maggotts, Chapel and Woodcote are the only remaining 'old' bits (apart from some of the straights) and even then, they're not really the same since the corners that proceed or follow them have changed how they're tackled.

Silverstone is like Trigger's brush, it's been changed so many times nothing original exists of it anymore.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 15:58 (Ref:2860223)   #18
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWray View Post
Don't think it's all that much of a loss. There was never much 'historic' about the Historic GP layout anyway.

Copse, Becketts, Stowe, Club and Bridge were all radically altered or at least re-profiled in '91 with Abbey changing in '94. Maggotts, Chapel and Woodcote are the only remaining 'old' bits (apart from some of the straights) and even then, they're not really the same since the corners that proceed or follow them have changed how they're tackled.

Silverstone is like Trigger's brush, it's been changed so many times nothing original exists of it anymore.
Brilliant post.
Old 8 Apr 2011, 07:36 (Ref:2860405)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, historic or not, the run from Abbey, through Bridge to Priory was a great spectacle, and I will miss it.
Old 8 Apr 2011, 07:42 (Ref:2860407)   #20
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWray View Post

Personally I prefered the 80's Silverstone, GP & Club. Blindingly fast, but I just wish I'd had a decent engine to make the best of it
Old 8 Apr 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2860509)   #21
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
With you on that, Alan.

I wish they'd left the original layouts and build all these new layouts around them

I'd love to see an F1 demo using the old track! Imagine how quick they'd be going round Farm by the time they get there!!

Selby
Old 8 Apr 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2860588)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you John,the whole run starting at Stowe through Abbey and including Brooklands was the appeal of the Historic GP [Little wonder there was no big thing made about the loss of Historic Abbey!] I'm afraid its another of those things labled 'progress'!
Old 8 Apr 2011, 17:08 (Ref:2860593)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Well, historic or not, the run from Abbey, through Bridge to Priory was a great spectacle, and I will miss it.
Old 8 Apr 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2860598)   #24
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the old "what if" theme. In 1973, F1 cars were averaging nearly 140mph in qualifying with the pre-chicane Woodcote. I wonder what a current F1 car would do? Ronnie Peterson did an unforgettable 1:16.3, so I'm sure a current car would be well under a minute. Silverstone in those days was nearly 3 miles long, so that would equate to an AVERAGE speed in the order of 180mph!
Old 8 Apr 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2860610)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was there in 1985 when Keke set a 160mph qualifying lap of Silverstone, which stood as the fastest-ever lap until 2002.

As has been said, Silverstone has changed dramatically over the years and I agree with those that lament the passing of Abbey in its original form. A seriously daunting prospect to those of an amateur pursuasion like me.

But let's not forget that Spa, Nurburgring, Brands etc. all have changed over the years.